Opinions - Heavy Cannabis users and International travel

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Thirdedge, May 13, 2007.

1. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I have smoked Cannabis more days than not for many years. He is planning some International travel in the not too distant future. While he is not planning on traveling with Cannabis or utensils, he is somewhat concerned about hassles at airports due to the odours of his past Cannabis use. His wallet, bags and clothes etc no doubt have all had Cannabis stashed in them at some stage. While he intends to wash everything this may not always be possible from country to country.

Have any swiys ever encountered problems at international airports due to Cannabis odours from historical usage? How about using Cannabis the day before departure, could odours be picked up for example from My hair or clothing?

2. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Yes. Sniffer dogs can smell if your bag/ clothes have been in the same room as people smoking the night before-- not sure how much longer. If you are not carrying this is only an inconvenience. Bear in mind that they know that it could have been some one else smoking.;)

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  3. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Maybe better to avoid such risks and temporary switch to spice or stay sober.

4. Nacumen

Nacumen Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Just remember not to bring that blinking briefcase in your pic and you'll be good.

5. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Just to note, I has travelled extensively during his daily smoking phases and hasn't had a problem.

Simply doing laundry should help with clothes, and as for wallets and such... Well I don't want You to completely abandon all caution, but he will say that he used to store small pieces of hash in his wallet all the time and there were even little resin marks on parts of the plastic (the see-through ID thing) and leather and he never had a problem going through airports in a variety of countries.

Same with keys and knives that had hash resin on them that he brought with him in the past.

Swim thinks you shouldn't have much, if any trouble, unless he somehow gets a bunch of cannabis residue stuck all over perhaps or something like that. Its hard to imagine simple odor from having cannabis in such containers causing trouble, when I has never had a problem.

6. chrono420

chrono420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    as long as I dont have any actual pot on him it shouildent be any problum, like I said they might smell it but I can say anything like my firends where smoking or w/e. Also coffie kills ANY smell so putting that on anything that might smell will work like a charm.

I have gone through customs a few times with small ammounts of pot in coffie and I has never got any hassle(swim dosent suggest doing this).

7. Nacumen

Nacumen Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I agree, this sounds like a very bad idea. After all, there aren't very many good reasons for one to carry ground coffee beans onto an airplane. Customs agents know that coffee kills scents, and I'd imagine ground coffee would be a red flag for security nowadays.

8. chrono420

chrono420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well this was befor the whole 911 thing so it was alot easyer for swim to get through, I would never do this now a days.

9. Pomzazed

Pomzazed Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from thailand
    Well, leave a big bag of "crushed" activated charcoal into your bag and closed it for some few days. (coffee also do the tricks but not as effective as this).

or a harsh way, spray diluted ammonia tincture around your empty bag (and let it dry!) (reation takes place, acid-base interaction between ammonia and acidic phenolic group in thc forming a nonvolatile salt, but still not recommended hence will make your bag full of ammonia smell)

10. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    There is another thread about sniffer dogs and detecting cannabis a while back. I would not like to bet that any way of fooling a dog's sense of smell will work-- coffee, ammonia, wahtever. Dogs smell in a different way to humans- they smell a spectrum of odours, not just the strongest. If they get near you and you are carrying, the chance is they will 'react.'

If you are going to take the chance of 'smuggling' cannabis, think about where they use dogs the most. New Zealand is probably the worst place on earth, by reputation. I have had close encounters with canines in Australia and Japan too.

Curiously, a friend of my was caught with a small piece of hash in France, coming from Portugal. He claims that it set off an alarm, but that sounds very unlikely.

11. Pomzazed

Pomzazed Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from thailand
    Well, hash shouldnt rang the alarm on, it has no metal parts in it!

12. Wyborowa

Wyborowa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I went to Poland via Toronto---> Warsaw---->Wroclaw with 4 grams on swim. Swim taped it to the inside band of swims boxers...there were some Polish soldiers w/ AK-47's and Dogs at the airport, but had no problems at none of the airports.

Its cool. Swim learned that in Poland at least, for Police dogs, they breed a German Sheppard with an actual Wolf...these dogs were HUGE and quite menacing looking!!!

13. kalininin

kalininin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    any followup, thirdedge?

14. aerozeppelin123

aerozeppelin123 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    Just don't go to somewhere like Dubai, I'm sure most of you have heard the stories about that country (a man got sentenced to 4 years in jail for having a microscopic bit of weed stuck to bottom of shoe)

15. 0utrider

0utrider Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from tajikistan
    AW: Heavy Cannabis users and International travel

inner eu I can say its quite safe if You istn totally stupid and looking like a hippie who also got something to hide..

16. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Well Swim bought a cheap new wallet and other gear especially for the trip. He walked through each customs in his casual shorts and t-shirt without hassle while many conservative looking businessmen in the line with him where pulled aside and searched:)

On a side note, it certainly sends a shiver down My spine when shortly before arrival in certain Asian countries they give a friendly reminder that drug traffickers face capital punishment:(

17. Ididnotinhale

Ididnotinhale Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I would strongly suggest not to do this. If one of your bags is opened, You can be charged with intentionally damaging one of the dogs, since these chemicals can impair the dogs sense of smell. I have learned of multiple people who have been arrested for using pepper to hide their stash and have got a second crime of having intentionally hurt the dog.

Also, I had a friend who was arrested because he had a stem with a lot of tar on it. In the U.S. one only has to have a negligible amount of resin to be charged.

If the smell is on swiys clothes and bags, he shouldn't worry to much about it. But just make sure not to bring anything that could have resin on it.

18. cosmicruler

cosmicruler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from burkina_faso
    yea swim just returned from travelling thru s.e asia a few months ago and I am also a daily smoker and has been for many years and I had no problems at all...I has watched border patrol on tv many times and unlessYou is actually carrying drugs they dont give a fuck!!!theyl ask you ifyou smoke and when youlast smoked etc but theyl yet ya go!!!swim older brother was detained at heathrow about 6 years ago when he wa s returning back from a holiday and was picked up by dogs..aparantly he had a massive joint before entering the airport then flew and the customs officers said they could smell it on him when he landed!!!they searched his bag and found crumbs,he admitted previously using cannabis and they held him 2 hours then released him!!!!
    swithirdedge will be sweet...just DONTget caught trafficking or yea most of those countrys will lock you up for good!!!