Drug info - Help! First Time Sitter: Advice needed?

Discussion in 'LSD' started by Jatelka, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have been asked to act as sitter for her 20 year old sister (M). The proposed event will take place weekend after next. It will be at SWIM’s house and the only other person present (apart from M) will be G (SWIM’s partner). It will be M’s first LSD experience. G is aware of the plan and will be there for general support (but in the background, so as not to freak M). I am very excited/honoured/awestruck that M would ask her to fulfil this role. She has lots of tripping experience but has never acted as a sitter: She would love to say yes, but has some doubts generally (do doubts make it impossible to be an amazing sitter?): She is looking for opinions from people who have been in this situation (do people even have sitters these days?)

1) M is much younger. I wasn’t around when M was growing up. As a result although M is an amazing sister I don't feel she knows her as a "friend". Despite this they have a close relationship and M says that she wouldn't have asked had she not trusted SWIM implicitly. However SWIM worries that this will colour M’s experience.

2) SWIM can’t really handle the idea of a “sober sitter”. Certainly the only time she had one then the fact that the sitter was sober was a real issue. She worries that this is another thing which will have a negative impact on M’s experience. Would it be acceptable to be a “non-sober sitter”? She is not talking LSD (which would introduce all sorts of weirdness) but possibly a small amount of MDMA (as much to take away sitter-anxiety as anything else)? She has asked M and M says “whatever!” She would add that she has taken various substances with M before (MDMA, Cannabis, Valium, Ketamine) and M has been fine.

3) She has no doubts about M’s readiness for LSD, however she does have doubts about her own readiness to be in a “responsible adult” role

4) M is providing the acid. I will of course test the acid before M takes it. If it’s crap/not acid should she provide acid for her sister?

If you have any feelings about the situation, either in response to the points above or just generally then I could do with some input. Any suggestions on articles/books also gratefully received.

2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Just my thoughts...

The idea of a "sober sitter" isn't very realistic and I don't think many people actually go through with it in reality (not everyone follows Erowid's step-by-step trip instructions). If anything, the trip would probably be a lot smoother if both of you were on acid together so that you're both on the same level and can share the experience.

3. Toltec

Toltec Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^ yeah I agree!

Otherwise take it with her, if your the type that can come down fast, if things get weird for her.
    Cheers

4. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    mdma is a good choice for a sitter to take; as it increases your empathy, and stimulates you enough to 'take charge' of the situation if need be, and talkitive enough to keep the tripper from straying too far from where they want to be.

I have been the sitter for many a trip parties, and swim find that mdma helps make him a better sitter.

5. epiphanyx

epiphanyx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Hhhm - interesting dilemma. I have a younger brother with a similar age deferential, and although she (very) occasionally slipped him a little skunk while he was a struggling student, she's also very aware that he subsequently did something so strong while stll at Uni that doctors were involved and he had to skip a whole year (I will eventually get around to finding out precisely what was taken - it's still a bit of a sensitive topic).

I have tripped herself a few times - virtually everytime at Uni years ago - and remembers the first time as being the absolute best (very strong "smiley" between three first timer friends) when all she knew about LSD was some vague reference to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds! Maybe ignorance is bliss?!

I guess all this is by way of saying - "what will be will be and have an excellent session"...and let us know what happens!

PS: I would have serious qualms if it was first time usage of something like cocaine - in whatever form - even though I think that LSD is the strongest drug ever. Go figure :smoking:

6. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    1) SWIJ's close relationship is enough basis of trust to rely on. Of course this will colour M's experience, but that is not negative.

2) SWIJ already has a sober person in the house (or am i mistaken?). If SWIJ would like another approach than sober, SWIM'd take a very mild dose of acid. This way SWIJ is still completely functional, while in the same mind frame as M. This would make SWIJ open percieve to the more subtle expressions of M, SWIJ would not notice while on MDMA.

3) From what I've read here on the forum, there should be no reason for you to doubt that.

4) I can not advise anyone to get acid. I do think it is unwise to use crappy acid.

I think it is always best to first learn how to navigate a substance, before going into a full blast arcade ride. This is another approach: SWIM suggests taking a simular but mild dosage and show M how to navigate the trip. How a suggestion can become reality and how M can snap out of that. How M can change the trip by will and action. The effect of music. In other words get her feet in the water, instead of going for a full blast. (safe that for a next session)

7. Jatelka

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Sitter Experience

So SWIM decided to take LSD with M after all. Mainly because the thing Alpha said about picking up on subtle nuances. That really struck a chord with SWIM. Although she loves MDMA and feels astonishing empathy whilst under it's influence there is a tendency for her to focus entirely on how she's feeling (there is also always her insatiable desire to take MORE!)

There was a sober sitter in the house (G) although he was banished to the attic room and was not required. It was however very comforting to know that he could be there if need be. G had also road-tested the acid before hand and he felt happy that it was around a 100mcg experience.

One of the main things I had been worried about was that her “issues” would colour M’s experience, and that M being her baby sister would engender all sorts of weirdness. It did not take her long to talk herself out of that mindset: She has been tripping for years and has dealt with all sorts of (far worse) weirdness, she has also worked through those issues many times before. She also contemplated the fact that this was M’s choice and that M had specifically requested that she sit for her. SWIM dwelt on that prior to their experience and felt very honoured and proud. She also took the opportunity to reaffirm in her mind that M is NOT a baby but a proud, strong woman grown! This is something that G had been stressing all week and she is very grateful to him!

M took half a blotter and I took 1. This is a lower dose than she would normally take, but was mindful that this was not about her! She and M talked about family and mutual friends for a while. There was a definite air of what I would call tension and what M later described as “expectation”.

At approx 45 mins M stated that she felt “something”. I was quietly aware that the walls were starting to breathe. She asked M if she wanted to talk about things, but M was happy to sit with eyes closed.

At about 1 hour 15 mins M started to talk freely. She has never taken hallucinogens before and seemed delighted with the effects. She asked whether colours always seemed so bright and whether “zig-zag” distortions were normal. I was exceedingly happy with this response and started to think about what it must be like to take LSD for the first time again. This made her feel very contented and satisfied.

M talked about how the music was making her feel and seemed surprised that it felt different to MDMA. They talked about using music to direct a trip/change a mood and M spent the next hour and a bit doing so. I am happy to report that M has now experienced the joys of synaesthesia (certainly SWIM's favourite thing about LSD!)

At about 3 hours M started to feel a little overwhelmed and restless. SWIM suggested dancing as a way of dealing with it. The CD was changed, from Dave Clarke (electro) to Misstress Barbara (funky/stripped down/still tribal techno). They spent the next hour or so dancing and (occasionally) howling at the moon. M reported that dancing felt wonderful, and commented that she would like to repeat the experience. She felt exceedingly joyful and "liberated" and they spent a good half an hour laughing uncontrollably.

At about 4 and a half hours M decided that the dancing was done. The music was changed again (to a Darren Emerson Global Underground CD). M commented that obsessive/compulsive behaviour re "appropriate" music must be a genetic trait. I spent another half hour or so giggling like a loon and feeling very child-like (she is exactly the same!) She was aware that her behaviour might seem a little strange to M, however M seemed very content and told SWIM later (when straight) that she had felt very giggly herself but had been too wrapped up in the visuals to do much about it.

SWIM and M then entered one of those LSD "loops". M was very strong and determined throughout and I felt a real synergy with her. They were talking (probably nonsense) and bouncing ideas back and forth. I felt intensely connected to M in a way that she never has before. She lost track of herself for a while, and felt as if M's emotions and feelings were rolling off her in waves (and therefore somehow palpable). Very oddly M revealed later (when straight) that she had felt the same way. SWIM can't stress enough how strong this feeling was (for her anyway). A sense of belonging and centeredness and peace.

At about 8 hours SWIM decided to roll a spliff... Much hilarity ensued as she was somehow rendered incapable. G had to be drafted (from the loft) to achieve the necessary. The next hour or so pass by in a haze. MJ always "re-ignites" hallucinations for SWIM. M seemed to be affected the same. She felt very "disconnected" at this point and SWIM suggested a change of scenery to the garden (Dark/Still/Cool). They lay on the patio and looked at the stars and M talked more than I had ever heard her talk before. She complained of mild nausea at this point but then told SWIM that the spliff was dealing with it.

The next 2 hours passed by in no time at all. M decided she needed to eat and they spent a good while deciding that yoghurt was probably the best. Sadly it was not. Maybe inability to eat during/after LSD is also genetic?

From a sitter point of view this experience was much less traumatic than SWIM might have imagined. It was far smoother and calmer than she had anticipated. She has no doubt that this was entirely due to M's enormous sense of self-possession. In retrospect I should have taken a smaller dose of LSD. At times she felt very aware that she was at a different level to M, and although M says that it wasn't a problem it is something that I am very aware of.

I feel very much closer to M now, and feels that their relationship has changed for the better.

M appears to have a good time: She certainly wants to take LSD again and says that she will take a higher dose next time, to gain more impact on the visual side of things.

I have asked M to consider writing a report for drugs-forum, however M says that she feels she needs "more time journeying before articulating".

Hope this is of some use (sorry: Long!)

Much Love x

8. epiphanyx

epiphanyx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thanks for that very illustrative report, Jatelka; I experienced flashbacks (of the most pleasant kind!) just reading it :)

Nice to know it went well.

9. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    good report Jatelka, I havent done acid in a loooong time. I wish I had the time to do it but its such a long trip.
    Thanks for sharing

10. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Nice to hear it went well. Good report.

11. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Good that you tuned into each other. Hope you'll teach her how to manipulate trips and moodswings as well.

12. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Very nice stipr sitter report! Havent read one of those before. It is probably god that you ate a small dose yourself. I was going to recommend this earlier and it seems like you two really connected and that SWIM1 and SWIM2 really had a nice time. Maybe You two will be able to dose again. Do you think SWIM2 will want to take a higher dose next time? Will you take a higher dose next time? Now that you know how SWIM reacts, maybe you two can both trip hard together next time? What is your take on that?

13. Jatelka

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    M is keen to trip again at a higher dose, but has stated that she needs more time to assimilate this experience. She found the visuals interesting but feels that LSD has much more to offer.

I will definitely trip with M again (mainly logistical reasons about when: M lives in another city). Currently I am uncertain about whether a higher dose for her would be a good thing or not. She still has doubts about her ability to deal with the "baby sister" aspect. They will have to wait and see.

14. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Great trip report, found it really interesting and enlightening, makes me jelous wishing that he had someone to enjoy such an experience with who was equally interested in phychoactives.