Help for pain management

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by ponygirl, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. ponygirl

    ponygirl Silver Member

    Reputation Points:
    Jun 1, 2005
    38 y/o
    Well this is my first new topic and I hope I put it under the right header. I have a nasty disease called Endometriosis. It's a problem with female reproductive organs. It causes a lot of pain, and on top of SWIM's Scoliosis, she is quite miserable. She is going to ask her doctor for something to help and would like some advise. Vicodin is like Tylenol to her so that one is most likely out. Also, something that doesn't cause weight gain would be good. If there's anything out there that's a little on the less than legal side, that would be welcome as well, as long as someone can advise SWIM on where it might be found. Thanks!
  2. sterling77

    sterling77 Iridium Member

    Reputation Points:
    Apr 21, 2005
    from denmark
    Pot can be a great pain reliever. Find some more indica-dominant strains, as they are better for relieving pain. Also, there are medical strains developed just for pain that you could check out.

    If you want to save your lungs,invest in a decent vaporizer or eat it for all day relief. I've heard great things about medical marijuana...hopefully this helps.
  3. MrJim

    MrJim Gold Member

    Reputation Points:
    Apr 8, 2005
    Poppy tea - Look in the Opiod Chemistry section and it will answer virtually any question you might have on it. Definitely won't cause weight gain. Can be habit forming though.Edited by: MrJim
  4. GreyApple

    GreyApple Silver Member

    Reputation Points:
    Mar 3, 2005
    from U.S.A.
    Uh lortabs could be usefull or if its really bad oxycottin put i guess if vicodin wont help you these might not either
  5. NLCA

    NLCA Newbie

    Reputation Points:
    Jun 14, 2005

    Lortab is the same thing as Vicodin (Lortab=Hydrocondone, Vicodin=Hydrocondone,Acetaminophen).The only difference is that Vicodin always has acetaminophenand Lortab only does if it has APAP on thebottle.So unless she's built up a tolerance then I'd recommend Oxycontin or some nice Morphine pills.
  6. jdude

    jdude Newbie

    Reputation Points:
    Jun 9, 2005
    I guess the obvious long term answer here is proper treatment and/or
    surgery for the Endometriosis. Having chronic pain is terrible, having
    chronic pain as well as opiate tolerance and addiction is even worse.

    Have you talked to your doctor about pain treatment options? If you are
    being treated for short term management of pain until the endometriosis
    is dealt with, let your doc know that hydrocodone is not working, and
    that you need alternatives. If your doc refuses, get a new
    doctor...they work for *you*.

    If hydrocodone doesn't work, I highly doubt poppy tea be any better.

    If you are looking for a long term solution to chronic pain due to
    spinal problems PT and non-narcotic alternatives will ultimately be your
    best bet.

    I have seen way too many people try to mange long term pain with heavy
    narcotic pain killers and end up dependent, tolerant (IE medication
    doesn't work anymore) and completely miserable. Don't let that happen to
    you... it stinks.
  7. bounz2dabeatz

    bounz2dabeatz Silver Member

    Reputation Points:
    Oct 31, 2005
    i agree with jdude. you def cannot just jump into heavy narcotic use. It is important to try the over the counter NSAIDS for pain relief first. Just because one doesnt work does not mean that another wont be helpful. I find aleve(naproxen) to be very helpful. This may not work or u may need to raise the does to slighlty higher than what is available over the counter. this can be done but taking a pill and a half. There are many NSAIDS(aleve, ibuprofen, etc) that should be used before going to narcotic pain relief. Opiate dependence and withdrawl may be much more difficult to manage then the pain you are experiencing now.