HELP!! Opiate tolerance problem

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by botas, Dec 5, 2006.

1. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Okay, so I don't normally do painkillers, because whenever he does, (or any other potentially abusable pill), he recieves no affects. I am not a junkie and has no tolerance or obvious reason for this. I have taken 12 vicodin (I know its a lot... he worked up slowly after realizing they weren't working) and uses pills that are before their expiration date. I takes a large amount of zoloft, but has read no reports of such things happening. I also take (get ready..): straterra, an antihistamine, zantac, and singulair. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing SWIM's dilemna?:confused:

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: HELP!! weird tolerance problem

Some people just have a naturally high tolerance. Other people don't get euphoria or a buzz from painkillers. They might receive actual pain relief from these drugs, but they dont get a buzz at all. Also, the buzz from painkillers and opiates/opioids are somewhat subtle, people may not know what to look for to tell that theyre "high" after taking them, so for some people it takes a few trials. You may just be someone who, due to their unique brain chemistry, just might not receive any sort of buzz from it. I do not think this is due to you's other medications. If You got nothing from 12 vicodin, I say You might as well just stay away from opioids altogether.

3. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Thanks for the help! I would have no problem staying away from opiates (he rarely comes across them), but isn't it a bit odd that 2.5 mg of xanax and two shots of vodka did nothing but give a small alcohol buzz to swim? and same with 20 mg of ambien and a glass of wine.... and 65 mg of adderall... anyone know about that? or is SWIM just outta luck for all pills till the end of eternity.

4. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:

I have honestly never heard of a case like this before, he's just as confused as You is. Does You get psychoactive effects from ANY drugs? Perhaps he is expecting too much from pharmaceuticals, the buzzes from many of them aren't that strong. With xanax and ambien sometimes it can be hard to remember the actual intoxication as well.

5. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

yes, SWIM smokes weed and drinks. Both give psychoactive affects.

6. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

SWIM also remembers everything that happend during the ambien and xanax uses.

7. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

I'd be looking at the SSRI's I am taking for being causative in this. Zoloft and Strattera are known to block other drug effects. Might well be the responsible party here.

8. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:

That thought had occurred to me as well, but I wasn't totally sure. Perhaps the serotonin or other neurotransmitters have their receptors upregulated with these drugs to the extent that one cannot get a subjective "high" or pleasurable effects associated with certain drugs. I dont get anything from strattera but a feeling of "wow, this doenst work whatsoever", but with long term use, SWIM suspects it could prevent other drugs from having effects. Certainly it could block the effects of adderall.

9. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    that's kind of what I was thinking. I am planning on weaning himself off of zoloft soon eventually, as he may have found out what may be causing his depression, an imbalance in certain omega-3 fatty acids may be responsible. Anyway, thanks for the help!