Drug info - Heminevrin (Clomethiazole)?

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by adzket, Jun 3, 2006.

1. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    I has heard of these did not no which forum to put it so if its wrong i apologise now i did a surch of the forum and only found 3 post's with no spersific answers to swim's? swim no's these are perscribed for alcoholisum to get heavy drinkers to stop drinking. can some one exsplain how this works also what would happen if someone then drank alcohol after taking these would it be like an h addict having a hit after naltraxone? also i have heard of people taking these recreationaly why would they do this what sort of dose would you take and what effects would a person doing this get looking on net i have found they effect the gaba receptors in the brain, though this meens nothing to me. any help ould be great.

2. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    HemiNevrin/Clomethiazole is a sedative/hypnotic (SWIJ has therefore moved this to "Downers and Sleeping Pills).

It also inhibits alcohol dehydrogenase, which is the enzyme which breaks down alcohol. This means that the speed of elimination of alcohol from the body is slowed, which helps relieve the effects of alcohol withdrawal (because there is still some alcohol in the system). With continued drinking there would be a very real risk of alcohol poisoning (because the alcohol is not being cleared).

GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter. It basically "slows down" the CNS causing relaxation, sedation, anxiolysis and drowsiness. Clomethiazole binds to neurones (via binding sites which are different to benzodiazepine binding sites) in the brain and increases the amount of GABA.

Recreationally SWIJ imagines You would get all the usual "downer" effects, although she has never used clomethiazole.

Therapeutic doses are: 1-2 capsules (384mg) for insomnia
    1 capsule (192mg) tds for agitation
    9-12 capsules (in divided doses) per 24 hours for alcohol withdrawal, tapering quickly so
    treatment doesn't exceed 8 days.

Recreationally? She has no idea

Side Effects: Nasal congestion/irritation, increased bronchial secretions, conjunctivitis, headache, paradoxical agitation, confusion, rash, altered liver function tests.

*Tolerance and dependance occur*

Hope this helps

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  3. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    thanks jatelka thats helpfull. can i just ask in You op if you where to drink a small amount on these would you get drunk quicker and for longer seen as it stops you breaking down the alcohol?

i supose then that if it is a downer and helps relaxation it must be simmerla in effects to benzo's recreationaly. if it slows down the cns would there be a risk with taking this and cns stimulators?

what is gaba as i no a bit about seritonin and dopamine but never heard of gaba before

i heard from swim about Nasal congestion/irritation, as a side effect but i dont understand how you can get conjunctivitis as this is an eye infection how could you get this from a drug?

would Tolerance and dependance be simerla to that of benzo addiction ect..? also i have been told by me that someone they new was perscribed them for months for alcohol addiction does You think this was wong then and it should like was said above not last more than 8 days?

4. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Theoretically SWIJ would imagine that You would get drunk on smaller amounts of alcohol and be drunk for longer. This is hypothetical and NOT recommended.

SWIJ is of the opinion that slowing things down and speeding things up at the same time is counterproductive, and can put you's body under a lot of stress (she is mainly thinking speedball and the cardiovascular system here). Taking downers to counteract the effect of stimulants is fairly common, she does not have any specific info re clomethiazole in this situation, but would generally counsel "Avoid if possible". Stimulants have a finite life and the effects will wear off eventually.

Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA

Conjunctivitis is literally "conjunctival irritation". It can be caused by infections but also by allergies/drug reactions.

SWIJ honestly doesn't know whether the dependance/withdrawal is similar to benzos or not. It's something she has pencilled in for further research (when she gets time!).

Many drugs are used outside the recommendations in the bnf. She has no opinion on right/wrong.

1. 4/5,
      thanks for info advice
      Jun 10, 2006
  5. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    thanks alot for that swij very helpfull i will look at the link when i have more time but sound advice.

6. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    i was told by me they are very much like benzo's but give a strange metalic taste in mouth and make nose burn doseage should only be two pills to get drunk like feelings and having just one can of beer can make you feel more like you have had ten.

7. Everlasting Reign

Everlasting Reign Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is indeed a recreational downer, with effects more akin to barbituates or methaqualone than to benzodiazepines. Conjunctivitis is a minor issue: I took some non-drowsy antihistamine beforehand and barely felt it the first time. Subsequent doses I didn't feel any nasal discomfort at all, though whether due to the antihistamine or tolerance to the side effect I cannot say.

Three 192 mg caps was enough to turn me into a carefree, disinhibited, uncoordinated mess. Fantastic stuff, IMO.

8. AMKR

AMKR Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim'd got a script for 60 of them today SWIM. Question is -what is safe to combine with them? Can swk take swims adderall in the morning/afternoon? What about a 1mg (or I could halve it to .05mg) of Klonopin (all these are Rx;d)? or maybe instead an Etizolam MD (mouth dissolving - sublingual or buccal)? Would that be dangerous with 1 of hte 195mg Clomethiazole? or 1 regular beer perhaps? or a shots worth of scotch in a solo cup of coke? Would that be stupid - I am asking them for harm reduction

I have a large benzodiazpines/thienodizapines (etizolam/etilaam) tolerance and adderall tolerance as welll. Would SWIM be just asking for death/coma/hospital/sick or a fantatsic time? Just curious they're both gaba so I dont think they're would be any problems stopping for a night or two to try the clomethaizole I just think combining them would be, amaaazing. Swim also takes gabapentin aswell (rx'd) does that interact aswell? Would that be safe to take swims normal dose (1.2 grams - two 600 mg tablets) All harm reduction questions.

1. 3/5,
      Using SWIM despite warning.
      Feb 11, 2013
  9. Hover

Hover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Regarding harm reduction combining a potent and potentially lethal downer with anything else is just asking for trouble. :)

1. 4/5,
      Invaluable addition to a thread that, although old, is one of the few references that exist on the drug.
      Jun 2, 2017
    2. 3/5,
      this is really not needed in a year old thread. Please try to keep basic advice like this to only the newest of threads.
      Sep 18, 2014