Herbal Sleep-Aids - Effects, Uses & Side Effects

Discussion in 'Herbal Ecstasy' started by darkglobe, Mar 4, 2007.

1. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Well hello there.

I've been taking Herbal sleeping tablets for a few nights. (Tesco, in case you're interested) and apart from finding they hardly work, I've also noticed some shocking side effects.

The tablets contained:
    • Wild Lettuce (I do not know dosage as I threw the packaging out)
    • Valerian Root (As above, about packaging)
    • Hops (heehee, hops are an aphrodisiac :D)
    I apologise about the lack of dose information. Anyhoo... These tablets (which smell absolutely vile due to the valerian root) made me very slightly drowsy, but provided me with some horrible side effects.

Firstly, I found the urge to cry most of the day. This is extremely disturbing, as I'm usually a very chilled out and relaxed individual. There are no other outside factors which could cause this.

Secondly, I found my temper becoming extremely short. Again, this goes against my usual persona, and worried me a great deal.

Thirdly, my eyes felt very dry and my vision was fairly blurred.

These effects, whilst being unpleasant, thankfully lasted for only a few hours after each dose (I used for 3 days until I realised it must be the tablets).

I'm fairly sure it wasn't an allergic reaction, as an allergic reaction would probably produce more significant physical effects. Also, I know I took the correct dose (which was 2 tablets 1 hour before bedtime) as I wrote it down off the packet.

I was wondering if anybody else has had similar experiences, or knows what may be happening in my body to produce these horrible effects?

Thanks for reading.

~Dark
    PS: I'm back! :D

2. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I have found similar results to such tablets and has never found them to be very effective. Having tried a few of them which contain hops, valerian, wild lettuce combinations.

Possibly they should be called a "groggogen" - a substance that makes one feel slightly unwell, unhealthy and icky resulting in the desire for sleep to make the feeling go away. :cool:

I found a usefull effect from Valerian root alone. Once comparisons to benzo's have been forgotten it is sometimes effective.

3. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    A cup or two of Kava~Kava, made with milk, can surely help one sleep. Using milk adds tryptophan into the mix - by itself known to help induce sleep.

One problem: For some idiotic reason, based on manipulated research, Kava is illegal in some nations.

4. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Kava is indeed illegal in my nation (at which decision I will be eternally pissed off) and subsequently I, as the other people above, have to resort to shoddy, low-power sleep aids.

Nag, as Trytophan is a sleep inducer, would you say it's precursor 5-Hydroxytryptophan could also have the same desirable qualities? I cannot find Trytophan in the UK (I believe it may be prescription-only) but can find 5-HTP aplenty.

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't know. Do some research.

6. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  7. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Sometimes when SWIdr cannot get to sleep he will use a diphenhydramine/Melatonin combo. He will take 12.5-25 mgs of diphenhydramine with 3 mgs of melatonin and in about 20 minutes time, he will be sleeping like a baby (though with very lucid dreams :D ). I know this isn't really an herbal remedy, but hopefully it might help you.

8. donkey rhubarb

donkey rhubarb Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I use an effervescent tablet with chamomile, lemon balm, passionflower, and valerian root which puts swim right to sleep with no ill effects in the morning

9. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    That sounds brilliant, Donkey rhubarb!

Could you give us a list of the ingredients and levels, please? Only if it's not too much trouble.

10. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    L-tryptophan is available in the UK - well semi-available (similar to melatonin). As its non-controlled and a POM its legal(well not blocked by customs) to import. I know of one reputable company, I haven't got access but suspects it might be in sources F.

It probably doesn't justify the extra cost of obtaining it for most people though when 5-htp is available. Add to that the stigma attached to tryptophan and the fact that it has to be imported so reliability isn't 100%(depends on company) explains its lack of popularity.

I would agree normal dose first generation sedating anti-histamine (my find promethazine best for occasional use) possibly with glass of milk. (<

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  11. donkey rhubarb

donkey rhubarb Newbie

Reputation Points:
    hmmm...doesn't say levels...just a total of 60mgs

it is sold as airborne nighttime..

12. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Okay, thank you, donkey rhubarb.

I'm finding that a regular, low dose of Valerian root seems to be getting more and more potent as the week progresses.... Maybe the half-life of this stuff is longer than I thought.

13. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_root

Has anyone seen a cat doing this? or the same with catnip, must be quite a strange scene. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  14. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I has found that one 20th of a gram of an extract made from l. inebriens makes me want to pass out. its rather like taking a benadryl as a kid...no euphoria, no pleasantness, just very very very sleepy.

15. toe

toe Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    If I'm not mistaken, these symptoms could all be classified as anti-cholinergic effects. My babydaddy doesn't recall having this experience with hops (smoked in a blend) or valerian MBD has found symptoms commonly induced by various drugs ("medicines"), serotogenic agents and sleeping meds in particular. While skewing one's amino acid intake and messing with neurotransmitters by supplementing a non-essential amino for extended periods of time is of questionable safety, so is drinking glue remover.

Random crazy people on the internet have reported luck with glutamate. It's a precursor to GABA, and a compound containing it is actually commonly marketed as l-GABA.

5-HTP can indeed be used for sleep, if one hasn't access to tryptophan itself.

Other "natural" cures that have worked intermittantly for the people in MacDonaldland over the years include CaMg, ashwangandha, chamomile, lemon balm, lavendar, and (not an herb/vit/mineral) melatonin.

Hopefully I haven't repeated anyone. Very much.