1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Heroin Shelf Life?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by 788.4, Jun 13, 2006.

1. 788.4

788.4 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Does anyone know how long stamped bags should be good for? Should any precautions be taken about leaving them in a hot place? A friend of mine wants to keep some bags around for a few weeks, maybe a few months. Will they still be good for him?

2. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Who the heck can keep em for more than a couple days?? :p Honestly, I don't know, because he hasn't ever tried to save any, however, he is pretty sure it's relatively stable.. If stored properly, away from heat, light, and oxygen, I believe it would last a very long time..

3. Fantasian

Fantasian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.K.
    I agree with the above. SWIF has never tried to store opiates but he guesses if stored properly then they would last at least a year. SWIF has morphine legally and this is said to keep for 90 days once opened. Not sure if that helps at all but it might give you an idea.

4. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Heroin is subject to degradation by oxidation, photodegradation, as well as hydrolysis (whose products are monoacetylmorphine and morphine). In the case of heroin, oxidation is the prime cause of degradation, and oxidation can be reduced by removing the oxygen and decreasing the temperature. Photodegradation is reduced by removing the light. And hydrolisis is reduced by reducing the air humidity.

In a nutshell that means You should store it at a cool, dry, dark place, preferrably vaccum packed. If You does that, there might be a small loss in strength over the next year or two, but not much. Storing it a few weeks or months is really not a problem.

5. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=30822

this erowid trip report deals with morphine that was kept in a dry, dark place for 60 years and still had potency! so, given that morphine and heroin are structurally similar, as long as it was kept in those conditions like citizen kane said, it should be fine. although judging by the date of the first post in the thread, that H is probably long gone.

I would worry more if it were, say, percocet that was aged. because aspirin and (I think) acetaminophen can in fact degrade and become a bit harmful over time.

6. evepip

evepip Newbie

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o from The Netherlands
    6 years later.......................;)

is it enough when i storing it for one month in normal room temperature and without vacuum package?

7. lovage

lovage Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM once kept a bag for over a year when in jail, stored in a less than ideal environment (unsealed bag in an old purse in the trunk of a car!). When she finally got out and found it she immediately did it and it still did the trick, it probably lost some potency, but since her tolerance had gone down she didn't notice. She also did some out of the same bag when her tolerance had gone back to semi normal and it worked fine.