1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Heroin vs. Opium

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by mariecurie, Apr 27, 2005.

1. mariecurie

mariecurie

Reputation Points:
    Does anyone else feel that opium, even though it contains a host of opiates, feels like really low quality heroin?

Maybe if I ate opium it would please me, but it isn't very opiating to me because heroin just seems SO much more potent.

What amount of opium do you think would be equal in opiating potential to a half gram of pretty high quality heroin?

Anyone notice any differences between the two?

2. bogumil

bogumil

Reputation Points:
    I think opium will never really come close to heroin. Its main opiate is morphine and that just hits different from heroin. Although there is the combination. If you had used it before heroin maybe ... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  3. prospero

prospero Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Opium and Heroin are definitely different, but I think Opium is SO much better. Though the feel-good effect of heroin may be stronger, there's so much going on with Opium - psychedelic dreams while you're still awake, the feeling that time, your brain, and in fact the whole world has stopped, subtle but very strange and unique hallucinations,the list goes on.

All I will say is that I smoked Opium in Thailand with the Hill Tribes, and the quality was absolutely guaranteed. I've never smoked it in the West, but I suspect the quality could be an issue, leading to disappointing experiences.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  4. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Heroin is a smaller opiate molecule. That means that it gets absorbed alot quicker (i think about 10 times quicker, but im not sure) by the brain. Thats what gives you that big rush, and it can't ever be topped by a different opiate because their chemical molecules are phisiclly larger, and take longer for the brain to absorb. No matter how much you take you can't get the rush, you'll just get killed.

5. Mezza

Mezza

Reputation Points:
    SWIM took opium in India. It was black, and very sticky. He took it orally and tripped for about 8 hours. Although the trip experience was quite good, he was throwing up quitea lot throughout. As is typical of opiate experiences the throwing-up wasn't terribly bad but still unpleasant all the same.

Afterwards some-one told him that 'black' opium is usually impure and that the best stuff is red and won't cause so much throwing-up. Smoking was also recommended rather than eating it.

6. LostInSpace

LostInSpace Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I concur with Creeping Death. It would take so much opium
    that you'd die before you ever felt that rush.

The nice thing about opium, is it lasts a hell of a lot longer.

SWIM usually has an opium buzz for 12 hours or better.

Lost

7. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    its the exact same feeling. the only difference is that heroin enters the brain quicker and easier. as I understand it its in no way smaller, in fact its got more atoms....it just has a carrier structure that better allows it access to the brain.Edited by: allyourbase

8. prospero

prospero Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Not true. Heroin is diamorphine, which almost certainly converts to morphine on entering the brain. Opium is morphine PLUS codeine, papaverine, thebaine and a whole host of other minor psychedelics. It's those other psychedelics which makethe opium experience different from heroin.

9. bogumil

bogumil

Reputation Points:
    I have to agree with prospero. The opium rush is supposed to be different. But that might be an individual thing as well. Edited by: bogumil

10. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Ive done them all....I see no difference (except with different potentiators), the only real difference Ive noted between plant latex vs say morphine sulfate is that a good dose (oral) of latex can keep me lifted for as many as 36 hours, whereas with straight morphine Im down in about 10.

Acetomorphine is 2 acetylstructures larger than the morphine molecule.

[​IMG]< morphine

[​IMG]< heroin

as you can plainly see, claiming it to be a smaller molecule is absolutely absurd.Edited by: allyourbase

11. prospero

prospero Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Well, if you experience no difference than that must be the case - we do all react differently to these things. Shame though 'cause for me opium is a fantastically eye-opening experience in a way that heroin can never be.

12. peacemaker

peacemaker Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I've heard similar opinions about opium giving interesting and eye opening trip whereas heroin justmakes you feel like an orgasmatic amoeba.

13. mescalifornia

mescalifornia

Reputation Points:
    Interesting, Opium sounds like a mild halucinogen, perhaps like how marijuana's a mild hallucinogen.opium, anaddictive hallucinogen. does anyone get say lucid dreams whilst using O?

14. bogumil

bogumil

Reputation Points:
    Yes, when you close your eyes and had a dose that is big enough you get the daydreams. Pretty cool.

I also changed my opinion a bit. I think heroin isn't that great anymore.But that might depend on quality.

And: Did you know that in ancient laudanum, henbane was added? google for it. This drink must have been crazy.

But warning: henbane is really dangerous.Edited by: bogumil

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016