Health - Hiccups From Beer

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by searcher, Jul 4, 2004.

1. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    When I drink beer I get the hicups sometime, like after my first 3 or 4 sips, but it stops after a while. Do you ever get the hickups when your drinking (beer)?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    I never did, but i chug all i drink, much funner. I get hiccups drinking or eating almost any food though, i usually eat really fast, wich also leads to chocking maybe 3 times a month.

3. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think alcohol "triggers" the "hickup reflex" in me.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Thats in genetics if you didnt know, genetics make up everything. Searcher-Do you listen to hendrix?

5. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I like Hendrix alot, made mr shed a tear when he died.

When I was a kid back in the 60's I was a "roadie" for a couple "local bands" that would play high school dances and battle of the bands. I had a station wagon and would take the amps to different places they played on Friday and Saturday nights. My friend (the guitar player) was (is) a really good player/musician . All the hippys thought Hendrix was great (well, 'he was great). Hendrix early music like are you experienced, and the gods made love, purple haze, little wing.. all acid tunes. I have Electric Ladyland CD.

So ya, I like Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Zep, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Jeff Beck, King Crimson, Yes... all the "relic" groups.

I like Pearl Jam alot

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Man, thats just like my dad, wich i am sort of a younger version of. I listent to The jimi hendrix experience, and the live cd, Blue Wild Angel, and on my comp i have another. But i listen to alot of him, and wear my experienced tshirt all the time. Zep owns, i have alot of them, Smoke on the water, floyd, pretty much all you said but moody blues and clapton, and crimson.

7. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Moody Blues were the best to listen to

All there albums were "trip" and "stoner" music...back in the day. They're songs were "Timothy Learys dead" and "speeding through the universe", alot of "drug reference" tunes.Ask your dad about those guys.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Yeah, my mom used to talk about what they both did as kids, my dad would go to crazy parties and he was a hippie and stuff. Ive also seen pictures of him with long hair partying, that was 20-30 years ago, hes 55 now, and bald. We are a quite family so we dont talk much so he doesnt talk about past, but i read in a newspaper cliping i found in his room taht he was caught in a pot raid in livermoore, CA, where he grew up with a few friends and my uncles.

9. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Sounds like you got a pretty good old dad.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    yeah, but he gets really angry alot, and im pretty sure he knows i smoke pot. He found out i did back in 6th grade but dindt do anyhting about it, but hes walked in after me and my friends smoked and things like that, so i think he knows. Hes leanant on most things though, leaving the house ,friends over, etc.

11. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    He probably sees himself in you and wishes he could have made things better for you and him. Try to be nice to your dad, I'm sure he loves you very much. Just because he gets mad alot doesn't mean anything. Try and help the old guy out by being more responsible. Instead of getting high when your friends come over, ask him if theres anything you could do to help him out, and don't get high, that might surprize him.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Yeah, thats how it is for alot of kids and dads, helping hi8m out, i could do that, but not get high, only for a day and a half or so.

13. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I like "The Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin. Who wouldn't dig that song? (It's a little too short, though)

14. soer

soer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from afghanistan
    hold your breath for a while (30 seconds at least) than swallow all the air that was in your mouth .. you might burp now .. that should stop em!

15. lexmark

lexmark Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from The Netherlands
    hiccups for three hours straight!!!

swim chugged a few beers about 3 hours ago and has had hicups ever since:mad: they just won't go away and he is starting to go INSANE!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I used to have a cure (plug nose,ears and close mouth after taking a sip of watter, hold head upside down and take 3 small sips) but this does not seem to work at the momment.

I am really starting to get agrivated at this natural form of torture and will never ever chug again.

has anyone else experienced the same thing? any cures? (except for waiting it out) lmao

16. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: hicups for three straight!!!

Try a gas pill. Simethicone (Gas-X) is a common OTC drug.

17. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

theres a doc. in the archives that i think i? uploaded that deals with drug induced hiccuping.

18. x cynic x

x cynic x Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I find that if he swallows at the exact moment that he would hiccup, his hiccups are gone. It could be worth a try.

19. ProtectedByTheGods

ProtectedByTheGods Newbie

Reputation Points:

Holding your breath repeatedly for as long as you can doesn't work?

20. Aztec077

Aztec077 Newbie

Reputation Points:

I had a EMT in a bar, lol, tell me hiccups are an involuntary spasm of the diaphram so he told me you have to try to exercize the diaphram. He said keep sucking in air for 10 to 20 seconds then hold it for another 10 seconds. I tried it on that very occasion and it worked after a couple tries. And it worked for me for a while after that and then it stopped working like I developed a tolerence to it or something, lol. But whenever people ask me how to stop hiccuping, I tell them that and I also say pray, too. lol. Good Luck.