Experiences - High Altitude Drinking, Trip Report

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Woodman, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    I recently had a chance to drink a six-pack on a mountain at 9,300 feet.

I did not get one bit drunker because of it, and I drank on an empty stomach; no food since small, POW-breakfast-ration sandwich in the AM.

Although alcohol is supposed to have a greater impact at higher altitudes, I can tell you that it did nothing for me except put me out almost $20.00 that is the me between the cooler, a bag of ice, beer, and some chips & a Subway sandwich.

The altitude DID affect me.
    I could feel it when I walking around.
    Unfortunately, it just didn't do anything to enhance the affect of the beer.

It was nice and cool up there, though.
    It provided for a very nice drive and an opportunity to write this trip report.

2. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Do you think you needed to be higher for it to affect you in terms of the alcohol consumtion? although 9300 feet seems pretty high to me, i think denver is only 5280 feet above sea level, do you have any information on this?

3. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    Nah, I just wanted to let everyone know that it doesn't work.

I went up to 13,000 feet once, but I did it suddenly and started to get altitude weakness so had to move to lower altitude to avoid getting altitude sickness.

4. Ruud

Ruud Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from The Netherlands
    Haha you don't have to drink to get high, because you are pretty high already(13,000 feet).

5. rideburton56

rideburton56 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My girlfriend goes to college in denver, and i can attest that she gets hit much harder by alcohol when shes up there, as opposed to los angeles county (sea level) where she is from. the first weekend she started school, she took her usual 5 shots before she went out to a party, which is about 1/2 of what she usually drinks when she goes out, blacked out for the rest of the night and doesnt even remember the party. shes been drinking for years and knows what shes doing.

I think that possibly it depends on the person, but at the school she attends, they warn you ahead of time about how the alcohol hits you harder because it has been a problem.

6. Hormoan

Hormoan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    58 y/o from U.S.A.
    My experience has been that if you live at a couple thousand meters altitude, when you go down to sea level you can drink like a fish, really improves the endurance.

7. molly

molly Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from U.S.A.
    Supposedly, at higher altitudes your blood becomes thinner due to the atmospheric pressure. This is why if you drink while flying on an airplane, you may feel drunk after just one or two drinks.

How high do airplanes fly? and what is that compared to the altitude you experienced drinking?

Perhaps you were not high enough to notice a difference, or there were more factors involved...