High or Stoned or.....?!?!

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by P!MPJU!C3, Jul 17, 2005.

1. P!MPJU!C3

P!MPJU!C3 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've always wondered if there was a difference between being high or stoned. Or if the two words were in fact synonims for the feeling experienced after smoking canabis. Ive been looking back in to old newspapers the other day and i found in interesting article in a dutch newspaper called "Het Parool." In the newspaper they said that the two words had very different meanings. To be high meant that you were in fact sorta floating(a feeling inspired by hasj and some sorts of weed.) The stoned feeling came from weed. Stuff like Hawaiin sun and White Widow would make you feel stoned. Stoned meaning you would feel something pressing you down and making every movement really difficult.

Maybe i was just confused but I thought I just had to clear it up. I know i used to say that i was stoned when in fact i had just smoked haj and I was floating.

It is unfortunately so that there isn't really a clear deffinition of the word stoned. Close to Amsterdam we've got a million other words for stoned. Lusu, kort, knetter... u name it.

P!MPJU!C3

2. elbow

elbow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think there's a difference between high and stoned, which Het Parool outlined quite rightly.

However, different strains probably cause different effects in
    different people because probably your mood and physical condition also
    has something to do with it. Like if I don't eat before smoking, I will
    become more high, and feel floaty, but if I smoke and then eat a heavy
    meal, then I could go from being more high to being more stoned and
    kind of lethargic (we call it a food coma).

3. truestbet

truestbet Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Basically it goes like this, start from least to greatest: smokin - buzzed - good - right - high - stoned - blitzed - faded - baked - fucked up. Its a range of the general stoned or high feeling at that point in time. Then there are different types of buzzes since there are so many kinds of bud, and ways to smoke it. Every individual weed is made of different ammounts of thc, tar, and other chemicals which is going to make swim feel a difference between the shwag and the kind bud he just smoked. Then blunts hold the most weed, so this in the end will get a person the highest (as long as it was filled up with a large amount of weed), a joint high is different from a bong high, and different from a smoking dro out of a one hitter bowl. Maybe someone else can elaborate on this because I am way too fucked up right now.Edited by: truestbet

4. polloloco001

polloloco001 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    i think stoned applies only to weed and high is a more general term. i
    think that all those words you mentioned are all basically synonims
    except in my experience blitzed and fucked up mean drunk, and buzzed
    can be any drug.

5. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I always thought of high as the initial bang, where the heart races and you feel giddy. Stoned to me, always meant the chilled out after feeling.

6. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Before "Stoned" was used, people could only be High.

In the good old days, when people got high, they called it "High." When people got stoned out of their minds, they were still "High."

In the '70s the word "Stoned" came out (or, at least it was the first time I heard it). It seemed (at the beginning) to only be used to refer to a pot-induced state.

As the '80s came-and-went, I have heard "Stoned" referred to more in the general state of being not-quite-there (and less just used for marijuana). So, it is fair to say that (in California anyway) "High" can be used for most feelings of drug-induced states ... and "Stoned" can also be used for that, with the extra definition of Blitzed-and-Fuzzy.

7. truestbet

truestbet Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I guess it really depends on where ya live and what street language you speak.

Doesanyone elseusually think people that say "stoned" or "high" to describe other drugs (besides pot)usually don't know what they are talking about? Why don't they use trippin, rollin, smacked out, coked up, cranked up, tweeked out, xannied out, k'd out, etc, to descrine a more than or different than "stoned" or "high" altered state?

Lets not get people thinking the wrong thing, as long as you arent trying to come off like you don't know what you are talking about, then by all means, go head and use the wrong word to throw them off!

8. polloloco001

polloloco001 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    i mentioned doing e when i was at this really square dudes house for a
    session and he got like all fascinated. later he started talking about
    it in the context of a joke or sometihng and referred to rolling as
    "trippin on ecstasy" and then as "stoned on ecstasy". i didnt want to
    call him on it cuz i was in his house. but yeah, he sounded like a fool.

9. antigenesis

antigenesis Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

In my area (So. Cal.), stoned, blazed, baked are synonyms for having a
    good time with mary jane. Faded simply means drunk, and you could
    be high on anything from weed to crack. Fucked up is just
    that. Buzzed is, around here, (and I'm pretty sure everywhere
    else) just a slight effect from any drug. For when your extremely
    baked, thats just blazed out of your mind, or high as a kite or
    whatever.

Edited by: antigenesis

10. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Stoned is the feelin' you get when you have smoked an indicia strain.

High is the feelin' you get when you smoked sativa, simple as that.

11. truestbet

truestbet Newbie

Reputation Points:
    cool is how i feel off california chronic, baked is how i get off hydro dank yum yum, blitzed is how i get off kind bud, angry is how i get off dirt weed, and all i smoke now is dro

12. ramjet

ramjet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I agree with the distinction you made. High for me is deifnitely about a mood uplift, a floatysense of euphoria, enlightenment and the giggles whereas being stoned is about aheavy feeling and psychedelicdistortions in your perception of space, time, colour etc. The sour weed like White Widow and AK47 gets you really stoned as well as high. The lighter, fluffier weed like Super Silver Haze gets you extremely high.

I'm finding it's getting harder and harder for me to get high nowadays. I've just had a really good batch of weed in that foes the trick but generally I've been finding that weed just makes me feel heavy and sleepy without getting me high, even if I smoke a lot.

13. cartex12

cartex12 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    high is caused by thc but stoned is caused by cbn and other chemicles
    in weed that get you messed up thc is the best of them . if you have
    ever got weed that seemed to be strong but only seem to make you zone
    out get the munchies and be tired you will know what i am talking
    about. thc=high cbn and other chemicles= stoned

14. solitary girl

solitary girl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I think and heard so, that high is when you are more talkative and move and that . And when you are stoned u sit and just feel stoned . When I smoke Northen Lights I feel stoned .. when I´m deep stoned I can hardly get up from my chair ... that´s stoned. And u don´t laugh and that .. just feel amazed.

15. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    To me...

Stoned: A sedated type of buzz. Closing your eyes and just thinking seems appealing. Laying down feels heavinly

High: a stimulating buzz. Talking and engaging in activity reward the senses.

16. big-lester

big-lester Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Smoke a joint with much tabbaco and than one with little or no tabbaco than you'll know the difference between stoned and high

17. hellion

hellion Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    You get high off drugs. You get stoned off marijuana.

18. Sklander

Sklander Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from congo_democratic

Simple as that.

19. insanity

insanity Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    HIGH to me is being high off anything, and could also mean weed. but STONED refferes to the feeling being high of weed, or H. stoned is generaly a higher HIGH than just high, u feel me?

20. FlashWilliams

FlashWilliams Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Stoned is when you mix it with something, high is when it is straight up