Home Made Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by mainevent, Aug 9, 2006.

1. mainevent

mainevent Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    SWIM made a homemade vaporizer last night out of a lightbulb and water bottle, for which he found the recipe for on this board. His question is, are these vaporizers for one time use only? The bulb was all black and dirty seeming after he finished using it, could it be stored or washed off? Is a butane torch better/cleaner than a standard bic lighter?

Thanks!

2. prescription

prescription Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yea standard lighters arent good for using on glass because of the carbon residues left on the glass after use however I cant remember for the life of me which type of lighters dont leave a residue.
    So the answer to you question is, yes it SHOULD be reusable and YES the residue could be washed off but I personally cant remeber which type of lighter to reccomend for you's use. Sorry, maybe another poster could answer this question for you.

3. mainevent

mainevent Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Another question, does it have to be a lightbulb? Or can it be like, a clear beer bottle or something?

4. Herbal Remedy

Herbal Remedy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Note: This is only swim's opinion and is not said to be fact.
    I believe that it doesnt need to be a lightbulb, but a beer bottle could be very difficult to use. The reason a lightbulb works well is because the glass is pretty thin, therefor it heats up quickly. The glass then in turn, heats the bud at a steady rate until it reaches the temp needed for vaporizing. By using this method, rather than torching the bud directly, it allows you to control the temp and not let it reach the point of burning off (thus delivering the saught after benefits of vaporizing).

Now, while a beer bottle is still made of glass, it tends to be pretty thick compared to a lightbulb. This means that the person would need to heat the bottle for A LOT longer (which could burn fingers or melt the heat source). This starts to become unpractical when you have to heat the glass for over a few minutes (and people can get hurt playing with fire and heated glass like that). The thinner the glass, the easier it will make it on ya, so keep that in mind.

If You wants to vaporize their bud for cheap, then they should either stick with the lightbulb, or make a homemade vap using another heating source. One or two can be found on this site if you UTFSE. If they can't be found I could try to write up some directions (some of the tools involved were a rheostat, a mason jar, some tubing, a bowlhead, and a heating unit from a solderin iron). And of course, high quality vaporizers can be found from reputable companies, though they tend to be on the expensive side so thats between swim and his wallet. Hope this post is helpful in anyway, and feel free to ask anymore questions, someone here will be able to help ya out for sure, peace...

5. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks for the reminder of My homemade test tube vaporizer.
    I am chopping up some bud for it as soon as he hits "post" :)

6. Herbal Remedy

Herbal Remedy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Damn, that is a great idea. I dont know how it never fazed swim while sitting in lab infront of all those test tubes n burners. Maybe I shouldnt worry about how hes gonna get high and worry more about his air-headed-ness lol. Thanks for the tip Nahbus...

7. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hehe, no problem. Fits in a pocket easily, too.
    Works wonderfully (a bigger chamber would be nice, but I like it as much/more than the lightbulb).

8. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    The kind of lighters which don't leave any residue are the storm-proof butane lighters(not zippo's)
    One thing You should remember, though he probaply knows it, don't wash yous lightbulb with water when he just used it, or the glass will break.