hot box cafe

Discussion in 'Coffeeshops' started by julian, Dec 8, 2006.

1. julian

julian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    last winter, I was in for an extremely pleasant suprise upon his visit to toronto, ontario. he stumbled upon a small cafe dubbed 'the hot box cafe'. previously, it was swim's understanding that one had to go holland to experience 'legal' smoke in a cafe. well, when swim walked into this 'hippyish' looking cafe, he noticed the pleasant aroma of some recently vaporized ganj. I was astounded! he thought he was in heaven! swim immediately bought a quarter ounce of some dank b.c. dro from another friendly customer for nearly half the price he pays in the u.s. he then proceeded to sit down at a table and vaporize for the next two days straight with a smile from ear to ear just because of the novelty of smoking inside a restaurant 'legally'.

there are rules like: you gotta bring your own dubski, no dealing or asking to buy, and if u want to smoke you must go on the porch out back (vapo is okay inside), and some others too...

I posted this for a few reasons, first wondering if these places are common in toronto/canada because he sure as hell wasn't aware of them. second, to inform people of his great experience so they can better enjoy their next trip to toronto just as he did.

here's a link if anyone doesn't believe swim that there are 'coffeeshops' in toronto:

http://www.roachorama.com/hotbox/index.htm

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I'm impressed. I hope they stay open.

3. julian

julian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I thought the same thing, and questioned one of the employees. her reply was that they are in constant communication with the local police, and on good terms with them. she didn't use this exact word, but she made swim feel that they were 'immune' to being raided, and even if they were to be shut down, it would not be in the form of a raid.

GOD BLESS CANADA

4. Senor Gribson

Senor Gribson Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    as far as i know that's the only herb friendly cafe in toronto, and it's been around for quite some time. theres also one in hamilton called 'the up in smoke cafe', and one somewhere in the london area, 'the happy hippy' i think its called. ive never been to either of these two.

fyi the hot box cafe WAS raided quite recently, grass was stol.. *cough* confiscated, but no one was charged

5. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    How does that work when:

Are the rules ignored?

6. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Apparently so. Last time I looked price discussion was not allowed in the main Forums outside of referenced articles. Time to read 'em again perhaps?

7. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^ heh that too I suppose :) ...but I meant the rules in the cafe!

8. julian

julian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    the cafe does not sell marijuana. the customers are not allowed to sell/offer to sell marijuana inside the cafe.

what I did in an attempt to get around the rules:
    swimasked a friendly looking man in the cafe who was in the process of rolling a blunt "do you know where swim might be able to find some pot?" now did swim break the rules? probably, he doesn't care. he was desperate as hell for weed in a foreign country. the friendly man immediately pulled out a ziploc bag containing at least 2 ounces of stank and asked swim what he wanted. the man said he was not allowed to make the transaction in the cafe, so he and I literally stepped 3 feet outside onto the side walk and he proceeded to make out the bag.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  9. gplant

gplant Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    well I can say with pride that I have been to that exact coffee shop. I live close to the Hot Box Café. When I was there a man approahced him and his friends asking for something to buy. Not wanting to break the rules we rolled up a joint for us and for him. After we were done we left together and left the cafe, no rules broken everybody is happy.

There is another shop located in Toronto called Kindred Cafe. They sell "special" hot chocolates for $13. They have vaporizing rooms equipped with X Box, leather couchs, and a vaporizer. Toronto has these places poping up quickly, it truly is great.

-Mush:D