House (TV show) and vicodin addiction

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by Beltane, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Beltane

Beltane Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    Did a search and didn't see anything on this.

Anyone watch that show House about the doctor "addicted" to vicodin? I know a bit about vicodin, tho he's more of a binge user taking 3-6 Norco 10/325's at a time for a couple days and then running out.

Are there really people who are "addicted" to vicodin who take 1-2 pills at a time throughout the day? They once showed his prescription and it was for the 500's. An addict would be eating a lot of those I'd imagine.

Also, it seems irresponsible to show a doctor eating that many vicodin, not because vicodin are bad but because vicodin at that those dosages is very harmful to the liver because of all the tylenol (APAP.) Surely if a docor was addicted to hydrocodone they would be eating Norco 10/325's instead of 5/500 or 10/1000 vicodins. Then again, Norco probably just doesn't have the rep that vicodin has and it _is_ a TV show.

Also, for a while they had him shooting morphine occasionally. Might one do that and still bother with hydrocodone?

Great show by the way.

- Beltane

2. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
  3. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    House is ace:D , only 3 series though:( , my favorite was the one where he dropped acid.

4. Sklander

Sklander Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from congo_democratic
    I agree that they shouldn't portray such casual usage of vicodin. Like Beltane said, its not the Hydrocodone, it is the tylenol that is so dangerous. If House is eating three or four 5/500's on the show and is addicted to them and has been eating them like he is shown to eat them then he would have had liver failure long ago... you'd think him being a doctor he'd get the good shit...

Cool show, though.

:cool:

5. Beltane

Beltane Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    An interesting thought. I once met a Physician's Assistant (almost a doctor-- they can prescribe) who was into vicodin. He said he took 20 - 40/day, we can only hope they were only 5/500's. Anyway, I asked him why he didn't step up to oxycontin or something and he said he didn't like them as much. Like you I'd think if someone was into prescription opiates at high dosages, for safety and other reasons percs or oxys would be the way to go.

- Beltane

6. Shiacmkmleer

Shiacmkmleer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Not directly related to this topic but did anyone see the last episode? He took 280 mg of oxycotin in less than a day... not to mention he was drinking. I cant be said to be an expert on that sort of thing but a quick google search seems to show that would kill you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  7. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    If one didn't already have a monster tolerance from upwards of years of use, that kind of dose would be the "last episode" for anybody! I am surprised that a show like this would portray such casual recreational use of narcotics, and really hopes that nobody gets their dosage ideas from this show...280 mg...wow, thats a lot.

8. blinkKDX

blinkKDX Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    I think most people are not dumb enough to do such things... plus few people could get the goods TO do such things.

its a great show and I think it should not be bashed.

9. Beltane

Beltane Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    Agreed it's a great show. But with the availability of prescription meds, vicodin in particular, over the Internet to name just one source, lots of people can "get the goods" to do such things to themselves.

- Beltane

10. drugsrbad

drugsrbad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    a lot of people are addicted to vicodin and not opiates. SOme think oxy's are too strong. i think vicodin is crap. 280mg oxy is a lot. I had a couple of friends that used to be into oc's and took that much oxy. you need quite a bit of tolerance though. the most swim ever did was 200 over the course of a day. Why doesn't house get some morphineor something injectible. Thats probably what the next episode is going to be. Are maybe he will smoke the dangerous "marijuana" or drink a lot of tussin. haha

11. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Gateway theory in reverse? :D

12. drugsrbad

drugsrbad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    It is as belivable as the theory itself. Once he comes down off the pills he is going to have to smoke a nice j to help him sleep.

13. ip.dif.ev.3.min

ip.dif.ev.3.min Mercury Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Yes i like the show and i know how he feels...last episode i seen he was off for 3 months and at the end he was jsut sitting in an empty room, ina chair, think, and he got up and went towards his desk...i knew instantly he was writing a perscription, sure enough he pulls out a square note pad, and it ended there

14. ip.dif.ev.3.min

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    T be honest i wasnt in to the show entil i found he was a hydro/ opiate addict now i ahve to buy the seasons when the come out becuase i like to see how it is portrade to turn you into..if that makews sense

A show i like: i watch every sunday (only show i know when it comes on) called Intervention about addicts that get taped for 3 days and at the end they ask them to go away to treatment. Its cool i actualy think it helps me stay as far away from addiction as i can (which aint very far) But its alittle off topic becuase this how is reality and house..well its not.

15. thegoodfight

thegoodfight Newbie

Reputation Points:

That will not kill if there is a decent tolerance for opiates. If a high tolerance is involved then 280mg oxycodone over a day will def not kill. I know a person that takes more than that every day. I couldn't believe this and still is in awe of the tolerance..

16. thegoodfight

thegoodfight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I wanted to edit message above to add more, but can't. Does Swim need to do something to be able to edit messages?

I want to say that House is an Excellent show. Swim thinks that the only reason that Vicodin is used is because of the public recognition of the name. Eminem made Vicodin a household name for "that" generation in his songs. I'm sure there are a lot of other shows, movies and songs that mention vic's.

Also, I do think that it is a little irresponsible to show House popping pills all the time, in front of colleagues and patients. This makes it look like he is an addict. Swim can empithize with House with the chronic pain issue and the need for medication.

Swim think that this is a good show to bring the issue of chronic pain to the public and hopes that the show comes to the conclusion that he is not an addict. Unfortunately it also could add fuel to the already over fueled fire of narcotic abuse. In some sense this could be just another cheap hollywood ploy to get good rating trashing good people who actually need to used pain meds to have anything close to a normal life.

I did not see the 5/500 script ever in the series. If that is true, this just makes the whole series STUPID! I guess You could say that that fact alone could be the determining issue that makes this show FICTION and not a mirror of reality. What genius doctor would take vicodin and damage his liver. It doesn't make sense at all. Except that small issue, it is the best show on TV now.

Cuttey is HOT!! :)

17. ip.dif.ev.3.min

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Fo Sho
    Only mofo's that kill them selfs USAULY are
    1.Newbies who take too much ingneriatly.
    2.Addict whos copped a bag from a igneraint mofo that laced the H or whatever with something that could kill you at them dosages.
    3.An Ex addict stops for a while and try's to take the dosage he was tollerated too a year before.

Any one want to add, that would make this thread cooler:cool:

18. ip.dif.ev.3.min

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    YES, YES, YES
    These people are lazy or there terms say somthing i overlooked.

19. ip.dif.ev.3.min

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    see now i gots to tell everyone my above post was refering to, not beinh able to EDIT!

20. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    Swit needs to be a silver member to be able to edit there posts, so all you have to do is make a good contribution to the forum and it shoulds't take long to get a silver membership.