Brewing - How badly does fermentation smell and what can conceal it?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by paranoid_android, Feb 16, 2007.

1. paranoid_android

paranoid_android Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Not much surprise here if you read the title: does fermenting one's own alcohol smell that bad? If so, what cheap (read: free) measures can be taken to eliminate, dissipate, or otherwise conceal the odor?

My first thought was to use what amounted to a homemade bong, with tubes on both the stem/bowl and mouthpiece. The tube going into the stem would come from the fermenting mash, and the mouthpiece tube could either be vented or perhaps passed through a crude filter of some sort.

If SwiPA did something like that, would there be some sort of liquid he could place into the bong/lock/filter that would help mask the smell?

One more thing to consider: the process will take place in a closet in SwiPA's room. If the smell is only noticeable close to where the fermentation is taking place, please let me know.

2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    large plastic water jugs work well they look kinda like a large gass can but are made form food grade plastic and have a foot longish plastic spout,take the spout and put a condom over the top/tape it on.then replace the condom as needed.I used to brew large batches of "jail juice" in his cell inside a plastic bag venting it once a day into a air vent and the guards never smelled it,also if you keep your closet closed you should be fine

3. stuoolong

stuoolong Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Are you talking about "fermenting" using yeast? If so, I would say you need to do it in a sealed container with an airlock, thus containing any smell. :) You only need to use water in the airlock.