1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Brewing - How badly does fermentation smell and what can conceal it?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by paranoid_android, Feb 16, 2007.

1. paranoid_android

paranoid_android Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Nov 12, 2006
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Not much surprise here if you read the title: does fermenting one's own alcohol smell that bad? If so, what cheap (read: free) measures can be taken to eliminate, dissipate, or otherwise conceal the odor?

My first thought was to use what amounted to a homemade bong, with tubes on both the stem/bowl and mouthpiece. The tube going into the stem would come from the fermenting mash, and the mouthpiece tube could either be vented or perhaps passed through a crude filter of some sort.

If SwiPA did something like that, would there be some sort of liquid he could place into the bong/lock/filter that would help mask the smell?

One more thing to consider: the process will take place in a closet in SwiPA's room. If the smell is only noticeable close to where the fermentation is taking place, please let me know.
  2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Dec 8, 2003
    large plastic water jugs work well they look kinda like a large gass can but are made form food grade plastic and have a foot longish plastic spout,take the spout and put a condom over the top/tape it on.then replace the condom as needed.I used to brew large batches of "jail juice" in his cell inside a plastic bag venting it once a day into a air vent and the guards never smelled it,also if you keep your closet closed you should be fine
  3. stuoolong

stuoolong Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Apr 22, 2007
    from earth
    Are you talking about "fermenting" using yeast? If so, I would say you need to do it in a sealed container with an airlock, thus containing any smell. :) You only need to use water in the airlock.