Culture - How do poppy growers make actual profit from heroin?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by Creeping Death, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    It takes 1000 poppies to produce only one gram of heroin. Considering how much heroin is sold all around the world, it would take maybe an area the size of california state to provide all of it. How do heroin kingpins actually make a profit out of this? It doesnt make sense to me. But then again i am terrible at math.

1. 3/5,
      good question to ask
      Sep 12, 2010
  2. dillydude

dillydude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yes there is profit in selling selling

why else would they do it

3. Creeping Death

Reputation Points:
    I mean how do they do it. Im having paranoid thoughts that the goverment is behind heroin production.

4. asystole

asystole Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Heroin kingpins make a profit because the people that work for them live in fear. The field workers get paid next to nothing, and the kingpins don't usually "buy" land to grow poppies on... they obtain it through various other means. When your cost of operation is next to nothing, there are huge profits to be made!

5. dillydude

dillydude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Mabey your right about the gov. being behind,if not them someone has to produce opium for all the medications that are based on opiates. There has got to be some form of plantation that is growing for medical reasons, but that same organization could be also selling illeagal product as well.

If we only knew then we could blackmail the dudes into a cut for us. Or they would just shoot us, and not with dope .

Interesting subject, I now have something new to search for on the net, I'll let you know what I find.

6. moldie

moldie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My Indian boss told me that there are tons of licensed poppy farms in his country that provide the bulk of the worlds legitimate opiates. I highly doubt these large corporate farms are diverting opium to the black market. If governments are involved in theheroin tradethey are probably only taking bribes to look the other way.

As for 1000 pods to produce a gram of heroin, that is a pretty meager analysis of the situation. With the gum from 1000 pods you could easily get 5 grams of pure heroin, even more depending on the genetics and growing conditions.

7. Creeping Death

Reputation Points:
    Are the legit opium farms growing their stuff indoors or out doors? I think if you were able to bust into one of them, you could steal maybe like 5 pounds of morphine in a single run. If you had a van and a bunch of friends, you could turn it into heroin and be very rich all of the sudden.

1. 3/5,
      this is a stupid idea, and encouraging robbery which isn't appropriate here on this site. All jokes aside, pretty dumb.
      May 14, 2016
  8. JewishNazi

JewishNazi Gold Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I know that Australia is 2nd on the ladder for poppy growing. This fact
    honestly amazed me considering how strict the government is about
    ANYTHING else, even bloody Salvia!

9. dillydude

dillydude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hey creeping death, and whom ever else cares.

Here's a link for a more indepth look at legal and illegal opium growing, as I suspected,' there are legal growers , and a percentage does end up on the black market .OPIUM FOR THE MASSES - Photo Essay on Cultivation of Opium in India. Although there are growers that are 100% legitimate , as well as others that are not, It looks as though most of the farmers are small operations.

Mind the fact that this artical is on India, not the entire worlds medical supply, or black market.

10. Daeron

Daeron Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    did you know that heroin export(and related exp) has increased by 200% in afghanistan and strangely pakistan since the usa "intervention"

11. psychedelicgrad

psychedelicgrad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If you're really interested check out this book: The Politics of Heroin; CIA complicity in the global drug trade. It explains everything having to do with profits, farming networks, ect. Plus, it just about provides conclusive proof that the CIA creates, finances and protects heroin and cocaine manufacturers and networks in it's effort to finance black op's, covert wars and create spheres of economic and political influence.

1. 3/5,
      good reference re: question
      Sep 12, 2010