How do you extract Kava-kava?

Discussion in 'Kava-Kava' started by I<3Salvia, Jan 16, 2007.

1. I<3Salvia

I<3Salvia Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hey guys I was wondering if any of you would be willing to tell him what the way/s are of extracting kava. Any input would be most appreciated.

2. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: How do you extract kava?

Extracting kava from what exactly? The entire plant, certain parts of it? Are you asking how to make a simple preparation of extract or how to take kavalactones from the plant?

A more detailed question would help people to provide you with assistance.

3. I<3Salvia

I<3Salvia Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I apologise Bajeda for being so vague. What I want to do is extract the kavalactones from powdered kava root. If just extraction by itself does not put the kavalactones in a useful form, please also include how to prepare them for safe ingestion. Again I apologise for my poor communication skills.

4. i h4te rs

i h4te rs Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

would you mind sending me a PM on extracting kacalactones please?. my buddy would like to have a night of fun with his buddies and would like to impress them with this :)

1. 3/5,
      Send a PM? Why privatize information on the forum? This is a selfish request.
      Dec 9, 2010
  5. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    The crudest way is to blend the kava with water, strain, then evaporate the water.

This will make instant Kava powder, that is a kava extract that can be added to any drink, and drunk without the need to be strained.

Purer extracts will involve the use of solvents, similar to making hash oil.

6. Bula-Babe

Bula-Babe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I saw a documentary on the SWIM Channel and they boiled some good kava roots in water for 30 minutes...guess it's not really an extract but it appeared to be interesting and provided a good effect for the subjects in the documentary.

Turns out that it was cheaper to buy good roots and boil them up to make a kava juice than buying the powder...guess that documentary on the SWIM channel was a bit of a dig at the powder sellers!