1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

how do you tell if they are an addict?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine' started by BlkWaterLilY, Jan 28, 2005.

1. BlkWaterLilY

BlkWaterLilY Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Dec 31, 2004
    Ok so I'm not claiming that I am innocent but my best friend is getting more and more distant and I know she is doing a lot of meth, her boyfriend is an admitted meth addict. She tells me she isnt doing it very often and that she has it under control but I just don't know if I can believe her. The thing is shehas reallybeen into serious drigs like amphetamies and ecstacy since she was in high school and she is 25 now, so its like maybe drugs just don't affect her in a bad way or something. I know she has also recently smoked crack at least once.So is there any dead giveaways that I might be able to notice that she is totallly hooked on this stuff?

She hasnt lost weight because she is on an anti depressant called SYMBYAX which actually causes weight gain. And she consumes alot of sugar. I know thatsome people can eat on meth once they have been doing it for a while. Well I don't know, like I said I am no stranger to this stuff but at the same time I never got that into it cuz I hated the comedown. I may be naive, maybe I just want to believe her so bad that I'm missing the clues. But she is soooo different now, it's like I dont even know her anymore. I just need some advice, any really. Anything on how I can really tell if she is doing it all the time and what, if anything, I can do because she is totally in denial if she is addicted. What do you all think? I will appreciate anything youcan tell me
  2. par excellence.

par excellence. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Jan 4, 2005
    It sounds to me like she is addicted, but you just need to be there for
    her... don't let a drug ruin your friendship. When she finally sees
    that she needs some help, she'll need all the support she can get --
    you. Just try to hint around at cooling down on the drugs a bit, while
    remembering that it is her decision.
  3. rafsancani

rafsancani Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Jan 11, 2005
    I agree w/ par. The said think usually is that addicts cannnot be
    helped unless they fully want to be helped. Which often comes after
    they hit a very low point. Maybe you can seek some help on how to
    handle this situation. There are many organizations that are out
    there. Remember this is just a forum and it's prob. best that you
    seek help from a professional.
    < id="kpfLog" src="" onload="destroy(this)" style="display: none;">
    < ="text/">
  4. tweakerfrommars

tweakerfrommars Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Jan 30, 2005
    Well if you're familiar with the drug, you should be able to tell if she is tweaked out or not. That's your way to tell if she is doing it all the time.

And I sort of agree with the above posters and in a way I don't. The friendship is and will be a very important thing in her life, but don't let yourself be dragged down to that rock-bottom point with her. As I've said in another topic, for her that point may come faster if you make it look to her as if you've given up on her and are moving on (and which may be the best thing to actually do, if you don't think you have enough personal strength to help her deal with the problem as it progresses). If you want to remain her friend no matter what, that is great, just know that you will most likely be hurt, deeply.