1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Answered - how does Vicodin (hydrocodone) show up on a drug test?

Discussion in 'Drug testing Questions' started by b4rd, Feb 4, 2010.

1. b4rd

b4rd Newbie

Reputation Points:
    my friend asked me to pass on the following:

I am currently getting drug tested, so I cannot enjoy pretty much all of my favorite chems (MJ, opiates, and I'm getting alcohol tested) [​IMG]

I have some confusion as to whether or not Vicodin shows up on drug tests.

According to erowid.org, "Many opiate tests test only for morphine (which both codeine and heroin break down into). This is true for both home/business kits and laboratory testing. Hydrocodone does not break down into morphine, and is therefore not detected by these tests."

My questions is, does any body have any experience with using hydrocodone, being tested by the "standard 5 drug test" that is purchased at your local C.V.S. Pharmacy or Rite Aide or just any ol' Drug Store, and still passing your urinalysis?

Or does anyone think that it is high risk to use vicodin and take a urine test? (remember, these are the cheap "do at home" piss tests, and will not be sent into a lab unless I am tested positive.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
  2. ninjaned

ninjaned Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Vicodin

First of all, avoid self incrimination, second, use descriptive thread titles. Also try to avoid brand names and use chemical names.

And as an answer, it seems that it probably will from the info found, but I'm not positive.

3. Herbal Healer 019

Herbal Healer 019 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from france

Im assuming that You is on probation, correct me if I'm wrong.

Most drug standard drug tests do not test for hydrocodone's metabolites, but You should always prepare for the worst when it comes to drug testing especially if the repercussions could cause legal action against You or expensive drug classes.

Also if they're testing for alcohol which most drug tests don't, I'm inclined to think it is a high end drug test that could test for hydrocodone (which is commonly abused and POs know this). Hydrocodone stays in the urine up to 4 days, so play it safe and consider the consequences. It may be worth it to take a break from drug use and enjoy sobriety until You is no longer at risk of get a probation violation.

4. b4rd

b4rd Newbie

Reputation Points:

my friend said:
    yea they are making me take "antibuse" for alcohol which is a drug that makes you verrrry ill if you drink, or if your skin even comes into contact with alcohol. But its my parents, not for a probation, just cercumstances =(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
  5. Stereobot

Stereobot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    If the drug test is for probation or a drug court, then YES, Vicodin WILL show up on the drug test. Even a small amount will show up.

Some people will say that it will not because vicodin breaks down into hydromorphone, not morphine or codeine. While that is correct that it breaks down into hydromorphone, they still will test for it.

As for most jobs, I was legally prescribed vicodin for something and took a drug test for a job. SWIM mentioned that to the lab tech who was giving the test but she said that for jobs they are looking for a very high level of opiates, a level that would be too high for someone taking a prescribed opioid.

From EXPERIENCE I know that probationary/ Drug Court tests will find vicodin.

6. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There are two classes of opiate analytes that are tested for in drug screens. Opiates include morphine, codeine, and heroin (by way of 6-MAM). Opioids include hydrocodone, oxycodone, hydromorphone and oxymorphone.

Opiates are always tested for in a drug screen. They are part of the NIDA-5 (or SAMHSA-5). Opioids are commonly included in an expanded panel test.

For most occupational tests, the NIDA-5 are only tested for. Meaning the opiate class only, not opioids. For criminal drug testing (not probation) an expanded panel is nearly always used which includes the class of opioids.

Other situations can vary quite dramatically. In short it depends on if the test is a standard 5-panel test (which will not detect opioids) or if the test is an expanded panel test (which will).

7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    also check this erowid link out...it may help
    http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/testing/testing.shtml

I would stay on the safe side and wait till after the 5 standered drug test has been completed. enjoy afterwords

*swim knows this is an obvious answer yet could only try to help out with a web link*

8. stryder09

stryder09 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Vicodin contains hydrocodone. In a standard urine test, hydrocodone use will be detectable by the presence of the parent drug, hydrocodone, as well as possibly, the metabolites hydromorphone and/or norhydrocodone. The scope of analysis is very lab-specific.