1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - How long after eating should I wait to take vicodin?

Discussion in 'Hydrocodone' started by Vincent Vanity, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Vincent Vanity

Vincent Vanity Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM Just got done eating at about 7:30. Burger and fries. How long should SWIM wait to take vicodin. Taking them with food in The stomach never seems to give SWIM the desired effect. thinking maybe 2 and a half to 3 hours.

2. VagabondWraith

VagabondWraith Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM says that they wait about 2-3 hours, however it depends on each person's metabolism. Considering that hydrocodone is processed through the stomach and liver before it does you any good, SWIM says that after eating a high calorie, high fat meal such as a burger and fries, the liver will be working overtime, and SWIY should wait as long as possible (closer to 4 hours) before taking the hydrocodone, especially if the NSAID it's combined with is acetaminophen, which easily causes hepatoxicity at high doses and can harm the liver more if it's already fatigued after a meal such as that. That's SWIM's two cents of advice...

3. Roll1N

Roll1N

Reputation Points:
    SWIM takes them right after having a meal. That way swim doesn't get sick and it actually hits him harder then taking it a little while after. Always better with food.

4. baZING

baZING

Reputation Points:
    The jury is still out on this one, but some people feel that a high fat meal actually raises the oral BA of some opiates and thus potentiates their effects (both analgesic and psychoactive). The evidence is mostly anecdotal and it may vary from person to person, but if you care to do some reading, here are some links:

This thread, this thread, and this thread (post #10).

Hope that helps some.

5. gman2858

gman2858 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    This is an old post but I'm sure people will stumble upon it. If i take Percocet after a meal it's effects are lessened. I take it right before a meal. Now with vicodin i find if i do the same i feel sick. I always took a after a meal. Depending on what drug I'm prescribed depends on how i take it.always orally though. Might as well name a few more. Tramadol i always take after a meal takes a while to work but it does work. Codeine most definitely after a meal. Everyone is different keep in mind

Tags: