1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Oral use - How long before Valium (Diazepam) effects are felt?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by Guest, May 31, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    I'm wondering how long it takes before you start feeling the effect of diazepam (Valium)?

I can't really tell, even after taking up to 40 mg's.

Thanx for any help available.

o.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2007
  2. hazejunk

hazejunk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    diazepam takes about 1 hour to start working.....but if you don't get any noticeable effects from 40mg then maybe benzo's just aren't for you....

3. greener

greener Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 minutes - 1 hour should be sufficient time if you take them on an
    empty stomach. If that doesn't work, try taking it sublingually,
    by holding it under your tongue, letting it dissolve, and doing your
    best to keep it there without swallowing. Sublingual is WAYY
    faster than swallowing...

As hazejunk says, different people feel benzos differently. I
    fall into the category of people who don't really get any recreational
    value from them when taken alone, though they still maintain their
    intended effects and drastically decrease my anxiety. I was
    prescribed 6 mg/day (taken 2 mg at a time, 3x day), and even at
    relatively high doses (10-12mg at a time, though I had a pretty high
    tolerance), the most it would do to me was make me a little bit clumsy
    or forgetful (sometimes it affected my memory of the experience the
    next day, not quite blacking out but not being quite sure about all the
    details or what I'd said...). If that didn't happen, it would
    just flat knock me out. It was pretty unpredictable really, as it
    would either put me in a slightly better mood or just put me to sleep
    where ever I stood.

You might try a different benzo, as the effects between them vary
    greatly from person to person. That is, diazepam (Valium) may not
    do much for you, but alprazolam (Xanax) could hit you hard.
    (Ativan, which a lot of people think is weaker, had a much more
    pleasant effect on me than Xanax).

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Thanx for feedback. Getting to know the V's a bit bettter now, and
    starting to truly enjoying them. Just needed some time to learn the
    comings and goings and effects etc.

Was at a dinner the other night and had to hold on to the wall not to
    fall over. Thankfully people thought it was too much wine. hahaha.

ciao, Z.

5. pokergod0588

pokergod0588 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    SWIMwashed it down with a few beers and it kicked in after only like 15 minutes

it basically amplified the drunkeness and it was one of the best highs SWIM ever had (i definitely recommend drinkin with it)

i only took the valium cuz i only had 3 beersand it felt like i drank about 15Edited by: pokergod0588

6. kuplo

kuplo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Heck even after 3 or 4 months of beign on xanax, (started at 6mg, 2mg 3x a day) I still get the "clumsys" occassionally and knock something over, or sometimes I get up from crouching and have to hold on to something and actually half blackout standing up.

My doctors now got me on 10mg a day, 4mg when I wake up, 2mg at 2ish, and 4mg at 8ish, and if I fall asleep from them, watch out if you wake me up, cause Im all over the place, and have to use a cane to steady myself of where ever Im going. I also have a tendancy to ask totally off the wall questions or make off the wall statements right after being woke up from a xanax induced sleep. I'll say something like, "I'd better get cleaned up if we're going to the zoo today" when we had no intention or even thought of going anywhere. The last 3 days I've been without sleep, and tonight will make night 4 because of having an overload of work, so taking my regular doses of 10mg xanax, 40mg lexapro, 160 mg of diovan, 160 miligrams of some "potent" diuretic, 105mg appetite suppressant, really does me in. My voice is slurred, I stumble around the house if I really dont concentrate on walking and watching where Im going, and on top of that the appetite suppressant wires me up, the xanax brings me down to an almost normal life again, and the lexapro, well, I dont have a clue what that does for me anymore.

All in all, it can be quite a cocktail especially if you are sleep deprived. I got my first 1 hours sleep today, I know it was only an hour because I fell asleep at my desk with windows media player playing a 5 hour 30 minute playlist, and there was only 4 hours 30 or so minutes left on the playlist when my partner woke me up, so that I could make him laugh with my off the wall questions and outloud thoughts. But now it's been an hour or so, and Im wide awake and ready to gobble down some pizza since I havn't eaten in 3 days or so either.

As far as valium goes for me,it doesnt do anything for me. Xanax can actually keep me awake if I keep my mind busy, as can five 750mg viodins in one downing.

I find xanax works best for sleep if you let yourself relax and sleep, often times I take my nightly dose of xanax and feel wide awake, but as soon as I get in bed and turn out the lights Im asleep within 30 seconds.

I think the next time Im feeling really anxiety ridden (like fighting holiday traffic to get from LA to Palmsprings, and spending 8 hours on the freeway, Im going to try the under the tongue method, though for the most part I just chew them when Im in the car since I usually dont have water and because of the 160mg of lasix any fluids seem to want to pass right through me.

7. betsym

betsym Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female
    Valium should start to kick in with 20 minutes or so and the same with Klonipin. Klonipin works much like Xanax but without as much hangover. Depending on swiy's size and tolerance to benzos they can start at 0.5 mg and go up. Like Xanax though, they can be habit-forming. Swim doesn't take them except when she has to, like when feeling anxious or can't sleep. They are real good for letting swim relax enough to drift off to sleep. One doctor told swim's friend that Xanax was "nothing but alcohol in a pill," so that might be why swik didn't have any more cravings for alcohol. Essentially, swik is getting it in the pill. Xanax works on the same GABA receptors in the brain as alcohol, as do most benzos. Sudden withdrawals from Xanax will also cause seizures so when coming off of it it is best to wean down slowly under a doctor's supervision and never drink alcohol with Xanax because it could stop swik's breathing.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  8. kuplo

kuplo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    The doctor said I'd probably have to stay on xanax the rest of my life unless I get some serious serious counceling on why I like to drink so much. I can down a 750ml bottle of whiskey everynight of the week 365 days a year (fortunately after 3 years of doing that I had very little damage to my liver), anyway when I was on 6mg of xanax, I use to get the craving for a drink at night, now that I take 4mg when I wakeup, 2mg around 2ish, and 4mg around 8ish, (and top that off with the doctor prescribing vicodin for my edema (feet hurt like hell), and Im pretty well tossed and dont want anything to drink, havint had had a drink in about 4 months. Soon as I started the xanax, I didnt feel the need for a drink anymore for about 3 months, then it crept back into my life, where I had a slight craving for a drink if I was really bored, and told the doctor that I needed 10mg of xanax a day, and he agreed, since then I havnt' had a craving for booze at all, I had 1/2 glass of champaigne after a photo shoot, but that was it, it's water, coffee, and clearly natural for me now.

9. george

george Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30-40 minutesEdited by: george

10. Rivet_Head

Rivet_Head Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    Whoa kuplo your going through some pretty intense shit...I mean 3 days no food or sleep...I'd die. [​IMG]

11. namidua

namidua Newbie

Reputation Points:

Tried them all and Ativan )lorazepamwas the best as far as memoruy and
    anxiety. Xanax when u drink though,lol J/k. uo could
    reallyfuck yourself up..