1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - How long does it take for Xanax to leave your system

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by AliB, Jul 20, 2012.

1. AliB

AliB Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi! Does anyone have any personal experience about how long it takes for Xanax to be undetectable in a urine test? I had a job interview this morning (which I was nervous about) so I took 0.5mg Xanax to calm my nerves. I don't take it regularly - last time I took one was 4 months ago, and it was the same dose. Anyway, I was offered the job, but now they want me to take a drug test and I'm screwed.

Does anyone know when it should be safe for me to take this test? Is there any way to get it out of my system sooner? I also want to note that I had a perscription for them, but my last perscription expired in 2010. Any advice?

2. nigh

nigh Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Luckily, Xanax has a relatively short half-life compared to other benzodiazepines. Like THC, most benzodiazepines are fat soluble, so the time period in which they're able to be detected can vary considerably based on various physiological factors. That being said, you'll most likely be safe within 2-5 days.

Here's a thread that's relevant to this discussion.

3. AliB

AliB Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks, so I guess it depends on my size and weight also. I'm 5'6, and weight 130. What are the chances that I'd test negative 30 hours after taking it?

4. nigh

nigh Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Uh...that's definitely pushing it. I can't really give you any concrete percentage, but I'd definitely suggest drinking a lot of water before the test. A sample that's too diluted to test will certainly be easier to explain than a test positive for Xanax.

5. Cash.Nexus

Cash.Nexus Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    If you had a prescription, even a while ago, then it should be ok. Even if it shows up, you just say you were prescribed them, to "take as required." And, you are ready to give another test, right now or whenever, to prove you aren't on them daily.

That's what I would say anyway.

6. AliB

AliB Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Ok, thank you both.

7. nigh

nigh Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I guess that's a possible excuse, but I imagine that some (most?) employers would demand to see a prescription if the test came back positive.

8. Cash.Nexus

Cash.Nexus Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    She can get a copy of her medical records, or authorize the employers to access them, or however it works in the US. I doubt they would go through with it, but if so, it's cool. All the better that the script isn't current.

9. stryder09

stryder09 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    A single 0.5 to 1 mg dosage taken a couple of days prior will most likely not result in a positive test.

10. Aminatrix

Aminatrix Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I know this has been touched on earlier, but with conflicting information.

If you still have prescription bottle, even if it's expired, just show it to them and you're 100% fine. At this point they are legally unable to deny you employment from the result of the benzo test. (Other drugs are still potential grounds though :p )

11. AliB

AliB Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Update:

I took it 5 days later and passed. I think I would have been safe a little sooner, but wanted to be safe. Based on that, I think you guys are right about it taking 2 - 5 days. I also read on the labs website that detection time for single use benzo's was 3 days.

Thanks for all your help!

Tags: