1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

How long does Tyrosine take to turn into dopamine?

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by antizero, Feb 10, 2013.

1. antizero

antizero Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    How long does it take for L-tyrosine to be turned into dopamine? I took 2g about 10 minutes ago.

2. methylman251

methylman251 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    As a direct answer to your question I don't think it has ever been measured in terms of from ingestion to dopamine synthesis, but once tyrosine is in the cells which convert it to dopamine would do it pretty quickly like the two conversions would both happen in less than a second.

In terms of what your going for though that 2g unless you had a severe deficiency in tyrosine wouldnt do much if anything at all since the enzymes which actively transport tyrosine into the brain are already saturated so any more tyrosine would just float around untill other enzymes in the rest of your body convert it into miscellaneous molecules. Even if it were to get into the brain tyrosine hydroxylase which is the first step converting tyrosine to dopamine is also pretty much working at full capacity so taking additional tyrosine won't cause any signifcant change in dopamine levels anyway.

If hypothetically somehow there was a severe tyrosine deficiency and it would make a difference then its the time it takes to be absorbed into the blood stream, cross the blood brain barrier and enter the dopamine neurons so the tyrosine would be being taken up into the CNS and being converted as fast as it could after around an hour. I would have no idea as to how many mg (or more likely ug) can cross the blood brain barrier at any given time given that it relies on active transport.

3. Maranatha

Maranatha

Reputation Points:
    Tyrosine also has to be taken on an empty stomach, because if it's taken with food, it will bind to the protein in the food and not cross the blood-brain barrier. The same applies to dl-Phenylalanine.

In my opinion, dl-Phenylalanine is much better than Tyrosine. Tyrosine, for me, makes every single muscle and joint in my body hurt for hours. It's totally miserable. Dl-Phenylalanine actually is an effective painkiller because it stimulates endorphin production.

Here's some interesting info about tyrosine:

4. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    CONTROL OF BRAIN NEUROTRANSMITTER SYNTHESIS BY PRECURSOR AVAILABILITY AND NUTRITIONAL STATE

However,

from: Tyrosine Administration Enhances Dopamine Synthesis and Release in Light-Activated Rat Retina

and, contrasting the above,
    from: Effect of Acute Tyrosine Depletion in Using a Branched Chain Amino-Acid Mixture on Dopamine Neurotransmission in the Rat Brain

rats were killed 1.5 or 3.5 hours after initial injection.

though they do quote,

So in short, probably about an hour, if the brain is depleted in the first place, otherwise, no effect.

5. Lemon3

Lemon3 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    If you want to feel something this is what you do.

Make a omelette, but the main key is to use at least 7 eggs (organic is better)..
    Or just drink the 7 eggs.

Well, anyway my point is:
    After eating a omelette using at least 7 eggs I feel amazing. I have tried loads of vitamins and all that, but nothing. eat a full omelette or just get 7 eggs into you, and you will feel awesome !!!

6. Meremoth

Meremoth Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Can you, or anyone else, elaborate on this. Don't most people get tyrosine from food, so why must tyrosine supplements be taken on an empty stomach?

7. Dreggs

Dreggs Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Amino acids are basically protein, and the body can only absorb so much, if you've got protein foods in your stomach, there's competition with what will get absorbed.
    The guys comment about omelette is spot on, egg is a very high natural source, buy even that isn't anything like the top end therapeutic dose. Which is why supplements are used. Around 6 grams daily is a high dose, you'd need about 18 eggs to achieve this.
    For best results, take tyrosine with B6, zinc and vit C, with a little oj to help absorption.
    Then try a cold shower, it's pretty fucking amazing how much the two combined work, that said, cold hydrotherapy as it's called is pretty awesome anyhow. It really is very effective.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  8. Meremoth

Meremoth Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thank you for the response, Dreggs. :vibes: