how long to quit crack

Discussion in 'Cocaine addiction' started by KrazyKkookoo, Jun 9, 2005.

1. KrazyKkookoo

KrazyKkookoo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    how long does it take to totally quit crack...

Swim just kicked the habit as of friday night and hasnt done it since, the person did it pretty heavy and frequent before that for about 2 months or so... how long will that shit stay in the persons system... and how long until they dont crave it anymore....

anyone know???

2. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Physically stays in the system around 2-4 days. Give it a week or so to get over the sleep deprivation, about a month of good eating to recover from the nutrition problems, also a month for burned hands/lips to heal. Any lung/breathing problems may be around awhile, a good reason to get a chest X-ray. The person should have their heart checked out (ECG at least) if they're serious about staying quit, to make sure they didn't do it any permanent damage.

As far as cravings, they can last anywhere from a few days to forever, so this person should be prepared if/when a craving ever comes up. Sorry, chuckie. The bright side (sorta) is that the cravings profile for nicotine quitters is at least as bad, maybe worse. IMO nicotine is more addictive than crack cocaine.

An antidepressant may be a good idea. Anhedonia/depression can hang around for quite awhile. No sense quitting crack, only to commit suicide... [​IMG] Edited by: Nicaine

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
    1. 4/5,
      Good advice generally
      Jun 11, 2014
  3. miffy

miffy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was never a really heavy user, but I had a bit of a thing for crack,
    and managed to stop when I realised it had got out of hand. It wasn't
    my primary habit - that was heroin - so I had something to fall back
    on.

I found the withdrawal much more psychological than physical, but
    difficult for all that. And I found that the worst was over after a
    week, and by then I wasn't thinking about it all the time. Took maybe a
    year after that before I could sit in the same room as someone who was
    smoking, and not have to have a pipe. . .

Good luck to yer mate!

4. uqlfy

uqlfy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Man I havent hit a rock in 4 years and I still get the urge once in
    awhile. So I dont think that after doing something that feels so good
    for so long the craving will ever completely go away.

The good news is its been so long I just kinda shrug it off.

Time is your friend. After the worst is over(youll know when this is) the longer you go without the easier it gets.

5. phenethylamine

phenethylamine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Rocks, this is a hard one. I would expect the urges to never go away, its like that. every time you think about it, you will get the urge. Over time, theywill get less intense and less often, but you could expect them to stay with you for the rest of your days.This is a real test on your self control. I hope you keep off it, seriously I really hope you do.

6. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Hmmm, I disagree on the basis of my own experience. I binged on rocks in the early 90's, but can think about them today without cravings. Yeah it does sound sort of good, like something I'd like doing, but no definitive cravings (even with a picture of the stuff).

Could be because of a large number of negative experiences I had. People tend to forget or block out negative memories, but after a certain number they tend to become the dominant thing. Lots of bad memories connected with crack use, so maybe that's why I don't get cravings (?). It may take awhile though, and this wouldn't be a recommended way of quitting (!).

7. jimdandy

jimdandy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    DEFINITELY don't drink alcohol for as long as you can,it seems to trigger on intense cravings...

i'm day 7 i think coming off junk and just starting to feel human agian-have no desire to put any poison of any type in me, but i know that if i drink i'd be back on the good stuff in a sec- sad truth is it looks like i've gotta be clean and sober 100%

8. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    There no reason you should not be able to quit crack on a dime. Cocaine, either in the form of a salt or freebase, is not really physicaly addictive. Coke is essentialy a psychological thing. Given this how long it takes for the craving to go away depends much more on the person and their psychology than the pharmacology of the drug.