1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Tolerance - how long to reduce opiate tolerance

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by Inkmanr6, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Inkmanr6

Inkmanr6 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim says:

I have done some opiates like Codiene, Morphine, Dilaudid, and Heroin. I haven't done anything in a month. Will my tolerance be all the way down where it was before I took anything?. I usually just go on binges.Edited by: Inkmanr6

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  2. psychedelicgrad

psychedelicgrad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim says:

in my experience 1-2 weeks is plenty to drop your tolerance, however, it will build back up more quickly each time around and each detox will be harder than the last. peace and love.

3. Eirias

Eirias Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Be careful with IV administration if you are chasing a good nod
    or buzz if you have been off for awhile. Opiates are strange--
    tolerance goes down in a few weeks in regard to potency, but the "high"
    still may not feel as good, especially if you ever were
    habituated. It's very true that a person with a long-term habit
    can be completely clean for decades, and within a week of using again
    they are metabolizing the opiates just like when they were previously
    habituated, dopesickness and all. It's like your cells remember
    what to do with the junk, even 30 years later (at least Burroughs
    believes so).

If you IV, only inject one-third of the shot after you register
    a vein, then after 20-30 seconds the next 3rd, then after 20 more the
    rest. This is good practice also when testing out a new batch of
    heroin or morphine (unless the morphine is in a standard concentation
    in solution), or scoring dope from a different city, or shooting a
    pharmaceutical opiate that you have not IV'd before.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  4. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    How long does it take for opiate tolerance to decrease?

This has probaly been answered b4, but anyways I was wondering How fast would a tolerance build up from a user (for the past couple weeks) using vikodens 15mg, percs 10mg codeine 170mg and morphine 30mg every day. Is there is any way to decrease your tolerance, or how long you have to stop for it to go back to normal?

5. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    tolerance would start from the very first usage of opiates, and if used daily, would build up pretty fast. it should be noticable after a few days, especially in the amount You has mentioned. there is some evidence that use of DXM can decrease opiate tolerance, as can ibogaine, but ibogaine is impractical for everyday use. DXM could be used daily in 30-60 mg amounts, but only decreases opiate tolerance a small amount. at least a couple weeks free of opiates would be needed to rid oneself of tolerance, but if daily use has been going on for a couple weeks or so, it could take at least a month for it to go back to baseline. really abstinence from these drugs is the only effective, practical way to reduce tolerance.

6. Fantasian

Fantasian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.K.
    Without going too far off topic, one would want to be careful with these kinds of dosages, even for legitimate pain relief the doses your talking about when combined are very high.

Be weary of opiate addiction as opiate withdrawal is one of the most unpleasent experiences in the world. SWIF can vouch for that.

Sorry if it seems like im being overprotective it's just something worth considering. As to tolerance You should leave a week or two gap between uses to keep it down and if he can't abstain from use for longer than a day or two he has issues.

7. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks for the advise! Yeah my gonna stop for a while and stuff. Yeah I dont usually mix them, but I dont mix all of those at once, SWIM just means that in a day he'll use at least two of the opiates or more.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2006
  8. Fantasian

Fantasian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.K.
    No problem, thats good to hear, i was just a little worried for You :)

9. Jamdan

Jamdan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    How long to decrease tolerance?

I recently had all 4 of their wisdom teeth out and was prescribed 10 mg oxycodone 650 apap. For a week I have taken them every 4 hours and taken 3 for recreational use a few times. Yesterday, I found a full bottle of Norcos 10/325 and took 4 tonight. The problem is, already, I amn't getting too high. How long would one have to wait before taking any more to decrease their tolerance? A week? A month? And would being on oxycodone for a week affect the tolerance for hydrocodone?

10. OhCasey

OhCasey Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: How long to decrease tolerance?

Yep it sure will. I had a surgery once not too long ago and was prescribed both Norcos (Hydrocodone 10/325) and Percocets (Oxycodone 10/325) and after taking all his Percs he could barely even feel the Norcos. Tolerence should drop noticeably in a week maybe two with little to no use of opiates.

11. samuraigecko

samuraigecko Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Re: How long to decrease tolerance?

Agreed. Oxy will only make the tolerance higher since Oxy is slightly stronger than Hydro mg for mg in PO dosages.

One agrees that a week or so should do the trick. Tolerance will drop rapidly after the half life has passed.

Hope this has been of help :)

12. kbsuperstar

kbsuperstar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Opiate tolerance... how long does it last?

Anyone know how long tolerance to opiates typically lasts?

For SWIM, 20-25mg does almost no pain relief and gives little high (body only, too).

He thinks this is likely due to methadone use in the past couple months (needs at least 40-50mg for a moderate high).

Yesterday he took four 5/500mg Vicodin (typical M357s), and today I tried 5 to see if he could get anything. Unfortunately, he's experienced almost nothing; slight body high, but that's it.

Even though this is occurring, it could be possible that SWIM's not feeling it because he's had some migraines almost all throughout the day for the last week. The Vicodin doesn't do anything for that, either.

So, yeah... Please and thank you :)

13. Sportsguy86

Sportsguy86 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Opiate tolerance... how long does it last?

Tolerance to opiates drops extremely quickly after use is ceased. We're talking a small number of days (3-5) before the body loses tolerance to the drug. After a week, you will notice a significant decrease in tolerance.

That said, even after long periods opiate free, you still have raised you natural opiate tolerance due to your past use. Take a year off, and you will still have a higher tolerance than when you were 10 years old. This tolerance is generally very minimal however, and just slightly more than if you had never used.

14. BikerKitty

BikerKitty Newbie

Reputation Points:

SWIM's doc told her that opiates block the signal to the brain from the nerves. So the nerves try to get around the blockade. This means the nerves make new routes to try to tell the brain that the body has pain. This is why when you have to go off (just did a 3 month lay off:eek:), SWIy will have more pain for a while.

I thought she would die! The doc just put her on Kadian 30mg. Eeh, it's ok, but SWIM sure would like their norco's back!

Be very, very careful with the tylenol in the 5/500's. SWIy could really hurt their liver that way. Also make sure SWIy doesn't take anything else over the counter with tylenol. I have never tried the CWE, but would recommend trying it. Five 5/500 means SWIy took 2500 mgs of tylenol! At once. Be careful, friend WIy!

15. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

First of all, when taken on a regular basis, the maximum daily amount of paracetamol(which is 4 grams a day) gets lower and lower, due to paracetamol build up in the bloodstream. Not only that, but paracetamol toxicity doesn't start at a certain level, it's toxic on itself, no matter how little you take. It's just that the toxicity can be neglected under a certain amount, but just like alcohol, it's toxic in any dose, but the dose is the poisen, so to speak.

Unfortunenately, the human body does not grow tolerant to paracetamols liver toxicity, but it does buildup in your system when taking it on a regular basis. When drinking alcohol on top of that, which is toxic to the liver as well, even more damage is done to the liver. It's not that such a single even would be visible under a microscope a day later, but it does build up over time, that's why paracetamol as a painkiller should be avoided as much as possible.

Don't trust a large pharmaceutical corperation when they are claiming their product is safe, all they care is their profit margins, not the consumers health .. The 4 grams per day limit is a safety margin set by the medical community, as a guideline for people who infrequently use paracetamol. When frequent dosing of paracetamol is needed to stop the pain, one should see a doctor who will switch one to a stronger and safer alternative, which can be take on a frequent base. Aspirin works fine for most people as well, and taking it once a day seriously lowers your chance of heart attacks and chronic heart problems. There are a few groups of people who should not take aspirin daily, and some people who shouldn't take it on an infrequent base either, but those people are mentioned in the patient information leaflet which comes with each pack of aspirin. One of those groups of people are pregnant women, as well as people who have lost a lot of blood and those who have a low blood pressure. This is all because aspirin makes the blood thinner and can cause blood pressure to drop. Ibuprofen can be used as an alternative for paracetamol as well, though also only on an infrequent base, as it can raise changes of a heart attack in most people, and can cause kidney damage. Though Ibuprofens safety margins are a bit to a reasonably bit higher than those of paracetamol.

16. onzero

onzero Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I took opiates (hydrocodone & tramadol mostly) off and on for three years and never really got too much of a tolerance. lately hes been taking low doses 30mg or less 5+ dAys a week. he noticed even at moderate dosages hes havent really gotten high but has trouble sleeping and feels cold without it.

how long til he can start sleeping without it (well sleeping normally) and reduce tolerance?

no other wd to mention besides feeling bored.

17. returntozero

returntozero Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    donno but I has similar experience

20-30mg of hybro just makes the work day go by so smoothly (so i have heard)

now I took one norco and 10 mg of oxy and really isnt feeling much. I am officially out of pills now and thinking about downing the 30mg oramorph he has been sitting on for a while...

18. Politicalchalk

Politicalchalk Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I posted a thread a while back, something like "How long does your w/d last?" or something. Swim personally finds about a week, but psychology plays a role too. That is, if You waits a day or two, the brain might psych itself up to be like "Whooooo, here it comes!"

It's a fairly low dose for withdrawl though, and gradual decreases in opiate combined with symptomatic relief (ie, loperamide for the runs, diphenhydramine to help sleep, etc etc. Those are OTC in the US, Swim's cat reports that cannabis and a benzodiazepine like diazepam or lorazepam help greatly.) Alcohol in swiy's typically higher amout helps too, Swim's cat finds it can actually somewhat stop the w/d in it's tracks for the time the it's active. Apparently, alcohol increases the number of opiate pepties in the brain, and this could explain such a mechanism. Conversely, that theoretically could prolong w/d, but Swim's got no data on hand, but the cat's anecdotal reports. He feels fairly confidant about it though, because the alcohol method has been used effectively and the peptide thing sticks out pretty prominantly to the cat.

A note of caution of course. Exercise EXTREME caution if mixing benzos and alcohol. Better to avoid the combo, but over time through the day could be OK. Check the half-life of the benzo. Also, as a general rule, getting drunk is one thing, but it's a good idea not to drink to the point of vomiting.

Finally, when titrating down, check out the thread on potentiators of opiates. Let us know how it goes!

19. Diamhea

Diamhea Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Regarding wait time between oxycodone use.

First off, glad to be here.

AFOAF has been taking Oxycodone fairly continually going on six months. First starting at simple 20mg doses (always intra-nasal) once or twice a week to 20mg 4-5 times a week (Starting in late September) with some multi-day Suboxone breaks thrown in for good measure. However within the last month AFOAF has been taking 40mg almost daily, peaking at a roughly 60mg daily average during about a week and a half span.

AFOAF went cold turkey last Friday after the peak, deciding that he should get back to being able to use the drug on occasion; socially if you will, without fear of debilitating withdrawal. Finally feeling normal again, AFOAF has the option to try 30mg Roxicodone. How long should AFOAF wait before use? That is, to avoid more than a slight drowsiness the next morning.

20. Descartesx

Descartesx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.