1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Addiction - How long until addiction sets in?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by DA BIG BO$$, Mar 8, 2011.

1. DA BIG BO$$

DA BIG BO$$ Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Lets say SWIM wants to try heroin and he was thinking how far out should SWIM space the hits out so that SWIM doesn't get addicted?

From what SWIM understands if you take once a week say every Saturday then you will not get addicted (or anyway no heavy withdrawals if you miss one week). Is SWIM correct in this theory?

So how long does it usually take to get addicted? How long did it take SWIY to get addicted?

If you take daily then how long until you will have to take it to function normally?

2. 3.4-Empathy

3.4-Empathy

Reputation Points:
    Are you talking about physical or mental addiction?

There's loads of factors to take in here, strength of the drug,ROA, what your using it for etc...

All drugs effect people differently. There's no saying that weekend use will get you addicted mentally ( although I'd put my bets on that the once a week would become twice, then three times etc..

3,4-Empathy added 3 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Also I would never suggest anyone tries this drug, iv heard allot of horror stories. And know a friend who was an addict for years. And he agrees to never try heroin

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. DA BIG BO$$

DA BIG BO$$ Newbie

Reputation Points:
    No SWIM won't go for mainlining. Chasing the dragon maybe but first I think snorting as it seems the easiest. Also how do you measure how much to take? From what SWIM heard a little on the keyring to measure its strength and then a small line. But SWIM would like to measure in mgs. From where can SWIM get such a scale?

4. 3.4-Empathy

3.4-Empathy

Reputation Points:
    I have never tried it and do not plan too. So I can give no information on what you ask here.

5. UrbanGreen

UrbanGreen Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Unfortunately, the answer is not cut and dry. The physiological scientific answer is probably between one and two weeks of regular use until the body begins to become physically dependent.
    Others here raise the more substantive of the issues related to your question; the mental addiction. If it were as easy as just dealing with the physical aspect, then, repetitive use despite horrible consequences in a user’s life could easily end with one detoxification and this is typically not the case.
    The issue is much more complex as many herein and beyond can attest. The issue is whether individuals can taste of the forbidden fruit so to say, and not want to enjoy its nirvana perfection-like attraction more than just on the weekends. I have never met anyone that could manage just weekend use for any sustained time-period.

6. DA BIG BO$$

DA BIG BO$$ Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim has read a few studies on heroin in which the users actually had a life and a lot of them weren't addicted to the drug. They had hard rules as when and how to take it and could live good productive and happy lives. Some of them had been using like this for more then 20 years so it seems to be possible. Swim can't recall the links but may post if he finds them.

7. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Cold Member

Reputation Points:
    AW: Re: How long until addiction sets in?

And I read you believe this^^??

Dude,
    Any single one in my life, including myself, who ever tried Heroin only just once, has become an addict.
    Please, before you decide to ever try it, be it chasing the dragon or mainlining or whatever, read thoroughly through the Addiction and Recovery Section of this Site and try to imagine what people feel who write about their hassle with addiction.

If you ever find more of the reprts about people who can live with consuming Heroin than there are reprts about people who nearly can't cope with this all, THEN feel free to take whatever doses of smack you like.

On my own way through addiction there lie a real mass of corpses, of my friends who tried it out at the age of eighteen, there is only one, except for me, still living.

I know this is not what you want to hear, and it is not an answer you asked for, but reading your post I felt inclined to write the upper words to you.

You really think you are this strong??
    You are not.

Love and good vibes to you, what ever decision you take, I didn't mean to be rude..

Yours
    TBBW

8. DA BIG BO$$

DA BIG BO$$ Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I cannot yet find that study that I've told you about but I found this instead . Damn it it looks that I cannot post links...Well google stanton peel addiction to go to that website and search for vietnam soldiers heroin use. It basically says that most addicts in vietnam came home and stopped without any help.

What are your thoughts on this?

9. Pondlife

Pondlife Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    I can think of two reasons why returning vets may be different:

1. They lost access to their source when they returned home.

2. They moved back into a different environment, where they hadn't used heroin before.

I don't have any experince of heroin, but when I'd recently given up cigarettes I found it difficult not smoking in places where I had smoked before, like down the pub. I would expect that other drugs would be similar, so being in a different environment would help.

10. DA BIG BO$$

DA BIG BO$$ Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well that might mean that addiction itself is not actually that bad. I mean if they were withdrawing they would have gone to any length to get their drug. Since most stopped we can assume that maybe the addiction isn't really so strong. Maybe addicts are conning themselves into thinking that withdrawing is so horrible so that they don't want to experience it.. and this allows them to continue using thinking quitting is impossible. But this is completely off topic..

SWIM knows of people who have tried heroin (smoked it) only once and then never tried again so SWIM is confident that this is possible. SWIM is interested if any others know of people who tried just once or twice and stopped even if they did enjoy it. But for the sake of discussion let's assume that you start taking daily. SWIM has read a study that said that on average it takes three weeks for first withdrawal symptoms to appear. In other places SWIM has found that on average a heroin user becomes addicted somewhere between 2 or 3 years of use (not regular...at first once a week then twice and you get the point). Also SWIM read that some people can use for many months and stop completely without any withdrawal symptoms (some case of 9 months regular user who stopped when his father dies or something like this..SWIM think he read that on peel dot net but the damn thing can't post links and anyway SWIM can't find it tonight).

11. TheBigBadWolf

Reputation Points:
    AW: How long until addiction sets in?

I found in your profile you are interested in harm reduction.

Best harm reduction concerning Heroin is not to do it. Period.

I see you are trying to rationalize Heroin use - but believe me there is nothing rationalizable about this stuff. It's all about feelings.
    Feel free to do whatyou want.

TBBW

P.S.:

12. TicksAndLeaches

TicksAndLeaches

Reputation Points:
    To say that heroin withdrawals are not that bad is incredibly disrespectful to all of those who have been through it. SWIM has never tried heroin and probably never will after reading all of the stories on this site but from all of the addicts he has known to kick the addiction is the hardest thing to do in the world and staying clean might even be harder. If your going to try it just be wary of the consequences. Going in with the attitude that you won't get addicted lowers your respect for the drug and before you know it your a slave for life. I guarantee 99% of addicts don't believe that they will get addicted, it just happens since the high is so great your body becomes dependent on the drug.

What might happen is you try the drug and say you'll only use on the weekends. But then one tuesday you have nothing to do so you say might as well. Then it becomes a couple nights a week and the weekend. If you don't take precaution before you know it you could be in full blown addiction. True some people can just use occasionally and then never touch the stuff again. Please just be careful and as someone said before read the R&A sub-forum.

13. dihydromoron

dihydromoron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    sorry boss im not trying to be rude here, but how can you possibly say that addiction may not be that bad
    or that addicts just 'kid themselves' into thinking heorin w/d are bad if you've never gone through it?
    Since i assume the person you are posting about has no exeprience being addicted to an heroin
    then its safe to say thise person does not know what they are talking about in this respect. If you spend just half an hour reading through the opiate addiction/recovery threrads on here
    you will see how wrong you are with that supposition, and that if addiction wasnt that bad
    there wouldnt be so many people posting here about addicts sick of their lives asking for advice on how to put an end to the addiction that has, in some cases, wrecked these people's lives
    If you are asking if its possible to use heroin recreationally without getting addicted then i would guess and say yes it is, but that the vast majority of users find they do become addicted, and that they quickly lose control over a situation they wish they had never gotten into in the first place

14. DA BIG BO$$

DA BIG BO$$ Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I added harm reduction because I had to add something there. I know that if I try it I won't become addicted but from what I read here the general idea is you try it you're f***ed. And after reading some studies and some theories of addiction I begin to think that the people who do become easily addicted to anything (not necessarily hard drugs) become so because of their lacking personalities (to put it mildly). Basically what I'm saying after reading this heroin forum for more than a week now is that most of the people who say are infinitely addicted to the drug seem to be real hardcore depressed losers (no offense but most said so yourselves) who can't find anything interesting in this world. They also seem to have some suicidal tendencies if I correctly read between the lines.

15. dihydromoron

dihydromoron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    have you stopped to ask swiyourself why they might be, in your words 'depressed losers'?
    It seems to me that the poster wants to believe that he is immune to addiction, and will go ahead and try it under this assumption, so nothing anyone here says to him will sink in
    I will add though that this forum is certainly NOT the place to be flippant about heroin addiction as your previous post suggests

16. TicksAndLeaches

TicksAndLeaches

Reputation Points:
    You don't know that, addiction is not only mental its physical, your body physically needs the drug or it shuts down. You really think your stronger than every other drug user? Don't kid yourself because your no different. The main reason why I stay away from drugs like heroin is because I know that I could get addicted. Having experienced soft opiates like hydrocodone, codeine, and morphine I know that they feel awesome but to insure that my life will continue to be all right I am choosing to never touch them again because addiction could bite me in the ass.

17. DA BIG BO$$

DA BIG BO$$ Newbie

Reputation Points:
    See that's exactly what SWIM is saying...SWIY will never take them again...so it is possible. Also I think you might have self-incriminated a little if SWIM is getting the rules correctly.

What SWIM is trying to say is that he knows of people who could do it only once. SWIM cannot guarantee that they will never try again since their life isn't over to have that kind of certainty but since years have passed since they tried and haven't done any in the meantime SWIM is almost certain they are not addicted.

But the question remains: How long until addiction sets in for using daily?

18. TheBigBadWolf

Reputation Points:
    AW: How long until addiction sets in?

I think I finally got your concern..:

Let me tell you about my friend, the Wolf.

When he was in his late teens he was very interested in all mind-altering drugs.
    Finally he got to trying Heroin, used it for about one year at weekends only. No signs of addiction, no withdrawal.
    He lost his interest in Opiates, and went on heavily smoking Hash, loads of, literally!
    As he was about 34 Years old, the Wolf Lived together with a SheWolf who for one cause or the other became so depressed that the Wolf had to work and think and act for two people.
    At a time the Wolf realised he could not smoke enough Hash to get his overwhelmedness aside and he remebered he once knew a substance that made him feel "a complete person".
    -I hope you catch my drift....
    He again began taking Heroin, first, like before on weekends, after six weeks he used every day and after three months had a good three gram of Midclass Heroin habit.
    Long story short:- There is times a person can consume Opiates regularly, with amidlaying abstaining days, other times the same Person, in special condition of mind (confused, depressed,-whatever) gets stuck on the same substance.......

So,- no one will be able to tell what will happen when the addictivity of opiates comes to an adequate state of mind. Can be it works weekendly for a year, can be it catches you when you are not alert enough to feel you are in emotional instability.

This so far as to my friend Wolf's experiences.

TBBW

19. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have dabbled in almost every available form of pain killer and have also tried heroin a couple times in the past year and a half. I am not currently, nor have I ever been truly addicted, but I can definitely see how fast it could potentially set in. Along with noticeable tolerance after only a few consecutive uses.

It is ultimately up to you if you want to try heroin. But as many have said, it is nothing to take lightly. I have never shot up, but snorting heroin is the best feeling I have ever had from a drug, and I have tried a lot of drugs. Immediately after coming off of opiates I ALWAYS want to do more. You have seen opiate bliss and you don't want to go back to reality. That is without even being addicted or needing it.

Opiates are also extremely expensive. I can easily blow 30 dollars just for a few hours of being high. It's not really an experience that you look back on and think "Gee, what a great time that was." you look back on it and go "I want to be there again, right now." So don't use the excuse that many people use for drugs saying they just wanted the experience.

With that said, I love opiates and am not always able to hold myself back from their dangers. If you do decide to try heroin, be careful, it can be a slippery slope into oblivion.

Dankfish added 3 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

double post:

Sorry for the self-incrimination. Not used to this whole swim thing yet and because the site won't let me edit my posts (for whatever pointless reason) I suppose I will get neg rep or whatever.

20. Shepps80

Shepps80 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    :crazyTo be safe rather don't use heroin !
    But if you have to, use once a month and just remember the time between usage will get shorter and shorter because you will start to convince yourself that you have it under control. Remember that when you use heroin, heroin is in control not you!
    I was a heroin addict for ten years and i was addicted the second time i used and it took ten years for me to beat heroin addiction!:cool: