How Many Peyote Buttons For First Trip?

Discussion in 'Peyote & San Pedro' started by ramjet, Apr 25, 2007.

1. ramjet

ramjet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have searched for this and is surprised not to find anything. Perhaps he is not performing the search correctly? The thread entitled peyote/san pedro dosage seems to focus more on san pedro and extraction, so I thought it would be better to start a new thread, sorry if this is repetition.

I have found an online site that sells cuttings (2 - 3cm) which apparently contain or consist of one peyote button each (I understand that it is the button rather than any other part of the cactus that needs to be consumed for the trip to occur). I would very much like to know how many buttons should be consumed for a first time trip. If this is not a reliable way of measuring the dose, how many grams of peyote button should be consumed? Any other tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    swim found a report of 3.66 buttons,look around some.

3. Barebonejoe

Barebonejoe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    To clarify for ramjet, the button IS the cactus. The only parts that aren't consumed are its roots and wool.

3 medium sized buttons sounds like an okay starting point to SWIM.

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Depends on the size. Peyote buttons that are three inches in diameter would need only two. Smaller buttons - 4 is about right. Some intrepid souls have eaten as many as 8 or 10. Not an easy feat. They must be well-chewed to be effective. The cottony-fuzz carefully removed as it tends to get stuck in the throat. Yack!

5. gplant

gplant Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    from "Peyote and other psychoactive cacti"

6. ramjet

ramjet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

If anyone finds they need more or less please feel free to contribute. SWIM noticed that on erowid the trip reports varied from 1 - 20 buttons, with most being between 4 - 13. I think I will play it safe and go with your recommendations of around 3 - 4.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  7. gplant

gplant Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    yes the last thing you want is to over do it. 3-4 seems like a nice trip:crazy

8. ramjet

ramjet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Just one more question: I've heard that the cactus needs to be at least 12 years old, and/or of a certain size, before it is ready for journeying. Is this true? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  9. gplant

gplant Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I don't believe so. I mean the longer you have it growing for the more alkaloids, also giving it stress by low waterings can boost up mescaline content and such.

10. senorsalvia

senorsalvia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Besides the fact that the cacti needs to grow for such a long time to produce enough alkaloid content for a trip.. Please consider that peyote is an endangered species.... Yeah, I know it is legal to consume in various countries (though not all)..... If one is going to ingest a substanc for its mescaline content, why not select the more abundant and more easily sustainable Peruvianus (San Pedro / Peruvian Torch)..... just a thought---sal

11. Barebonejoe

Barebonejoe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I respectful rule of thumb is to grow at least an equal amount as you consume. Even planting some back in their natural habitat could be an enriching experience.

Aside from that, there are sources for buying peyote who grow it on their own. If anything, they are helping the species. Buy from them. Leave the wild to be wild.

12. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Bongo is pleased to report that no one has reported seeing any peyote offered for sale in many years. The last time he did, it was with the roots attached. Everyone who ate this got terribly sick. Bongo was terribly overjoyed! He told them they'd been cursed and to never go near it again.

13. SammyB

SammyB Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My pal I have a 2 year old 3cm sized peyote plant. How would he go about consuming it and what kind of effect would he recieve from the 1 plant?

14. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    One 3cm Peyote? Virtually nothing. Please don't decapitate that baby. Let it grow up. Maybe grow more. Poor widdle thing.

15. KBLSD

KBLSD Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    u got atleast 4-5 years left until it might be a little effective swim hears they really need to be atleast 10 years old

I thought buttons grew off the cactus and u can cut them off and they will grow back

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007