1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Dose - How much Adderall IR should I start with for plugging?

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by WhtRabbit, Aug 18, 2009.

1. WhtRabbit

WhtRabbit

Reputation Points:
    Swim's been taking ADD meds for more than 5 years and specifically Vyvanse 50mg for the past year. Swim, in pursuit of a nice high, will take anywhere from 2 to 3 pills a day until they run out then take a break until it's time for a new script.

As 2009 rolled around, Swim's insurance changed and Vyvanse went from $20 to $60. I told swim to ask for a different med, one that could be bought in generic form to save money. Plus, swim's tolerance was peaking.

Swim's doc gave her Adderall IR 15mg twice daily to start. She's interested in snorting and plugging this instance release form of amp. She tried snorting yesterday as soon as she got home. Broke a pill in half, crushed it up and snorted. Sadly, there was no noticeable effect. Plus orange goo was irritating.

To the point... Keistering Adderall IR. Swim's been doing coke on and off for a couple of months. Tolerance well acheived and she's taking a break. She's done coke mixed with a little water this way and reached bliss... until the dreaded tolerance. Do you do the Adderall IR the same? Crush up and mix in a needleless syringe with about 3ml of water? Considering swim's tolerance and length of time on ADD meds, what would be a good starting dose to keister?

2. jax1526

jax1526 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have been taking adderall XR & IR for 6 years and my prescription baffles most people; two 30mg XR's in the morning and two 30mg IR's throughout the day (yes, 4 30mg's every day). Also, I've gone through periods when I would do a fair share of c*** over a week or two. Anyways...through all this, the one thing that I know for a fact is that you CAN NOT develope a tolerance to adderall. I am extremely accustomed to the way it feels, and I have taught myself how to eat and rest on it, but I still feel it. I've also gotten into painkillers and what not. THAT is tolerance, when you can take 4 or 5 lortabs and feel nothing.

I just can not imagine that plugging and addy could have any positive repercussions.

jax1526 added 51 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

My previous statement was merely based on personal experience. However, I found plenty of quotes from doctors, as well as results from studies conducted on the subject. Such as this one....

"...which reinforced previous findings that patients do not build up a tolerance to the effects of ADDERALL XR, says Biederman. ADDERALL XR was found to be significantly efficacious across all doses."

This just explains that everyone has their "perfect dose" of Adderall. Doctors do not increase your dosage because you are developing tolerance, they will increase and decrease dosage until the doctor and the patient can find a dosage that can be effective and beneficial to the patient.

I could not post the link to the study, but I can give it to you through a PM.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  3. chillinwill

chillinwill

Reputation Points:
    Well Adderall XR is a combination of mixed amphetamine salts and one can develop tolerance to amphetamine right? My experience is from when Red Rock was prescribed two 30mg Adderall XR's in the morning and one 20mg Adderall IR in the early evening hours. Tolerance rose drastically. I did see the article you are talking about; however, it seems from both Red Rock's experience, his friends, many others on the web, and just knowing the facts about an amphetamine based structure in general, that tolerance can develop as well as an addiction to Adderall.

Here is some basic info I found after doing some quick searching:

From our own archive
    This thread How much do you usually take? (including gender) has some good info from fellow members on how tolerance to Adderall can develop.

And this last one that can be found at http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225885&postcount=5

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. jax1526

jax1526 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    When talking about Adderall addiction, Buddy believes that it is more of a dependence concerned specifically on doing certain things on Adderall. Buddy has taken at least 60mg everyday for many years, skipping dosages on rare occasions such as taking a "lazy day" or running out of meds before he can refill. But Buddy has never felt any physical withdrawal symptons when he didn't take an Adderall.

Example: Last year Buddy ran out of Adderall in the middle of Final Exam week. He was freaking out and thought that he was experiencing adderall withdrawals for the first time. He was forced to attempt to study without the help his adderall for the first time in over 4 years.

But during the summer, Buddy often goes 3 and 4 days in a row without adderall, and he feels fine.

The absense of adderall to the regular user only creates psychological withdrawal. Buddy's body isn't going to function differently without the drug, Buddy's mind just won't push his body to engage in certain activities that require attentiveness without the medicinal motivation.

Just as Buddy can take four 30mg XR's and fight the will to be productive by watching TV all day, he could also take no adderall and the fight the effects of ADD by getting his sh*t done.

5. chillinwill

chillinwill

Reputation Points:
    Well yeah addiction and tolerance are two different things. Tolerance can play a factor in addiction but their seems to be very little, if none physical withdrawal symptoms. That wasn't what you originally were talking about though. You stated that one cannot build a tolerance to Adderall which is untrue. One can still develop Adderall tolerance (say at their normal prescribed dosage) and not develop any withdrawal symptoms physically. Mentally, they might crave the Adderall as Red Rock knows this is the case if he doesn't take his prescribed medication. He has been on it so long (about 13 years or so) that he wouldn't be able to function without it.

6. jax1526

jax1526 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it. I just think that it is more of a mental process of getting used to it, adapting to the way it feels, and learning how to live comfortably on Adderall; rather than a chemical reaction in your body that is building up a tolerance over time. Assuming that being the case, if Buddy were to keep taking adderall, in 5 years he would have to take five 30mg XR's at once just to feel anything.

Think about it...When Buddy and everyone else he knows took adderall for the first time, they noticed a major negative effect on their personality (especially people with extrovert personalities having to cope with the inverted feeling from adderall). But eventually they get used to and learn to behave socially any way they want.

I'll agree that one can adapt to the feeling one gets from adderall, I just don't think that it is the same concept of building a chemical tolerance as found in opiates and such.

7. staples

staples Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Amphetamine certainly does cause tolerance, but used therapeutically, tolerance should stabilize. Briefly and abruptly stopping a therapeutic dose of amphetamine medication is not typically all that bad, in fact some doctors will suggest taking a "drug holiday" for a short period to both allow up-regulation of dopamine and noradrenaline receptors, and to check on how the ADHD symptoms are when unmedicated.

As far as I am aware, drug tolerance should occur very similarly (on a cellular level) in the dopaminergic systems as in the opiod systems. That is, activation of autoreceptors modulate phosphorylation of carriers, and activation of receptors adjusts the excitatory post-synaptic potential.

As for the topic of the thread: if swiy must, swiy should err on the side of safety and start low (I'm not certain on the pharmacokinetics involved, but perhaps half a normal oral dose?), gaging the effectiveness at certain dosages.