1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

How much does cannabis lower blood pressure by?

Discussion in 'Cannabis & Health' started by e_choco_o, Dec 2, 2011.

1. e_choco_o

e_choco_o Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o Male from korea_south
    Is there any scientific literature on the effects of cannabis on blood pressure? I haven't found any... It seems to be dose dependent and some say it increases it at first and then leaves it lowered for a while, is there any modulation on this effect? It seems logical there would be cause if there wasn't death from low blood pressure would occur at very high doses right? so is the lowered blood pressure only a result of vasodilation?

2. Cannabis_Man

Cannabis_Man Newbie

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I couldn't find the source they cited (mainly because the citation format sucks...), but this article talks about the effects of cannabis on blood pressure.

This one goes a little deeper into how it may lower blood pressure. Specifically, it says that a naturally occurring cannabinoid may play a role in vasodilation.

Both are from NORML.

Sorry, but that's all I could find. I'm going to keep looking, but I've researched the effects of cannabis on blood pressure before and these are the only two pages I found particularly useful.

3. e_choco_o

e_choco_o Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o Male from korea_south
    ABsolute gold, thanks man! It's sort of what I got after some research, isn't it odd there is no measured tests? It may be down the complexity of the effect, but I don't see why no one has ever tested readings after a a common dose, standing and/or laying down against placebo...? ...maybe we could tell people to do it here and make a poll or something? It'd be interesting!

4. Cannabis_Man

Cannabis_Man Newbie

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    If you appreciate it, could you please rate my post? I've got to get some rep points before I can edit my posts. (I usually have a few typos and grammatical errors, which are annoying when you can't fix them.)

I think it has a lot to do with the nearly world wide prohibition. I hear that in the US, only research that is likely to report negatively about cannabis gets the go ahead to do experiments with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true everywhere else.

One of my friend's friends once took his blood pressure and heart rate while high. His blood pressure was about 145 over 70 (sitting, with arm supported) and his heart rate was about 165. He looked it up on Wolfram Alpha and his heart rate was normal for moderate to hard exercise. (If you want to try this, go to WA and search "hr 18yo," but replace "18" with your age.) His normal blood pressure is about 120 over 70 (sitting, with arm supported) and his normal heart rate is about 70-80. It should be noted that he is a new user and doesn't have much of a tolerance.

Cannabis_Man added 1 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

That sounds bitchy. It didn't mean to sound bitchy. :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011