1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

How much is too much for me? (Hydrocodone)

Discussion in 'Hydrocodone' started by asd, Feb 8, 2006.

1. asd

asd Guest

Reputation Points:
    I was prescribed Vicoprofen (Hydrocodone) 7.5/200 for pain from surgery. Been taking it for about 3 months now and doctors tell me I will probably have to take it for some time.

I have to take two pills to get any sort of relief but sometimes that just doesn't cut it.

I have this fear though of getting sick if I take too much and really don't have a clue what is too much.

How many can I take estimated and be in the clear? I weigh about 160lbs if that matters.

Could a person take 3 or 4 and possibilly overdose?

2. armatitumor

armatitumor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    SWIM has taken alot of those and been fine, except being extremely fucked up on vicodin isnt very fun. SWIM has taken up to 9 or 10 of those. I think what you're really worried about is acetamenophin, and these pills have a low acetamenophin content so it seems you're in the clear. Just work your way up one pill at a time until you find your dose. Try to cap it off at maybe 5 or 6 though, you should be perfectly safe at that dose, although it is kind of high.

3. fnord

fnord Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    swim used hydrocodone 7.5's and weighs 200lbs he has to take about 10 to even get 'high' from them, but hydrocodone doesnt do much for me, hes moved to oxycodone/contin and other synthetic heroins

4. asd

asd Guest

Reputation Points:

5. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Almost sounds to me like these pills don't contain Acetaminophen, but rather Ibuprofen. Either way you don't wanna take too much of either 4 or 5 and you should be all right but if you plan on taking much more than that look into something called a "cold water extraction".

6. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Spot on BCS! Max dose of Ibuprofen is 2400mg in a 24 hour period, in exceptional circumstances, i.e not recommended and not to be done regularly or for a long time unless absolutely necessary. Like all nsaid's (non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) ibuprofen can give you some nasty physical side effects with high dose long term use, so your caution is well founded.

Vicoprofen is only indicated for short term use, so go back to your doctor and tell him/her that a) the drugs don't work, and b) you've been doing a bit of reading and are concerned about the risks of ibuprofen in the long term.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/vicoprofen_ids.htm

After doing a bit of digging found that US max dose is 3200mg ibuprofen, compared to 2400 in Briton, so that gives you alittle more to play with, but still do go and see yer doc - 3-5 months is a long time to be taking any pain med for surgery, esp an opiate based one that doesn't cut it! In addition to the long term potential of 'brufen you also run the risk of dependency from the opiate...

7. asd

asd Guest

Reputation Points:
    Would MS Contin be a good solution to take for long-term pain?

I tried taking a very low dosage of methadone and can't be on that and function at my job as I need to be.

8. Yeahsme

Yeahsme Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swim finds that taking more than about 40mg of hydrocodone serves no purpose. In other words, swim doesnt get any higher. swim says the best way to take them is in small doses, 2 hours apart. Like 20mg every 2 hours. Says thats the best way to feel good for a while and not have to come down any. swim says it gets built up in your system along the way and you get lots of energy.

To those who say that oral oxycodone is better than hydrocodone, swim says they are mistaken. swim says that oxy and hydro are 2 different buzzes. Oxy is a laid back buzz, while hydro gives energy. Both give euphoria. swim says the only real advantage that oxy has over hydro is that you can snort or inject because of the lack of tylenol.

If you are concerned about your liver because of the excessive tylenol intake, that would be a good reason to get your doc to prescribe pure hydrocodone or oxycontin.

9. sands of time

sands of time Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    No, they are not mistaken, it's they're opinion. For someone with little/no tolerance to opiates, hydrocodone will not give energy.

10. proko7

proko7 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    SWIM has had a question related to this for some time. Searches have given SWIM many mixed results. We know the max daily dose of ibuprofen is 3200mg. What about the max of ibuprofen to be taken at one time? Are there dangers of a more acute nature if one takes, say, 6 Vicoprofens (1200mg ibu) or more at once, even though it's well below the daily maximum?