1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Question - How much meth is needed to cause permanent brain damage?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine' started by Louvre, May 19, 2017.

1. Louvre

Louvre Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Hello,

I know there are some threats talking about this, and all of them conclude that there's not really an exact amount of meth taken to know if there'd be permanent damage or not, but still.

So as far as I know, in my case, I totally stopped using meth one month ago. I started using it last year (August), buying small doses from a friend about 6 times on that month, but on the next one due to school reasons I moved to other city for 5 months, where I couldn't find meth being there, so I waited to come back on February of this year to the town I've been always living. Back again I began smoking it for two months, not every day but usually twice a week. There were two or three times of large meth binges (3-5 days straight). But then, I decided to take a break, and after that I only have used it a few times. Now I'm totally clean.

I'd say that approximately the total amount of meth I smoked and snorted over all the time since I started is around to 15-20 grams, but not more than that.

I'm a young man, 18 years old, and I know that as young as you start using dope as toxic and worse it will be to your body and brain.

So my question is: Knowing my age and the amount of meth I've taken, and if I never use it again, does my brain will fully remove all the damage that meth have done in it? How likely does it is to me to think if my brain will be the same in terms of intellectual capacity and reasoning?

I always knew how neurotoxic meth is, but my curiosity won me and the high hooked me up quickly. Now I have no interest on doing that sh*t again, seriously, it caused me a lot of problems, so no anymore. Up to now I'm preparing for University, and I'm a lil' bit concerned on if I will have the same logic-intelectual brain capacity as I had before started using that crap (sorry if it sounded grumpy).

Thanks for any reply.
    Note: English isn't my natal language, so if I committed drafting mistakes, just let me know. Thanks!!

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  2. Lye Locked

Lye Locked Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    47 y/o Male from Las Vegas, NV
    I am not a medical professional, but I feel pretty confident in telling you that you shouldn't worry. Everybody is different and it's really hard to give even a ballpark amount of meth needed to cause significant brain damage. I have met people that do one line of meth and they become completely schizophrenic... I mean, severe hallucinations and paranoia.

The length of time, and the amounts you have given really aren't all that significant. That is cool that you have chosen not to use anymore and are looking out for your well being. Now go on about your life and worry no more.:)

Take care.

3. Louvre

Louvre Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Yes, I guess you're right. What I did is already done, and changing past has never been an option, so now what Im doing is going on with life, goals and stuff like that, just like everybody. Thanks man.

4. Scrofula

Scrofula Newbie

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o Male from California
    The closest I ever came to dying from a drug, I was about your age.
    I was using the prescribed amount of the first non-drowsy allergy med, Seldane. It's off the market now, after people died. That came down to our friendly liver enzymes (cytochrome p450 family, think there's a table on site) and their natural variation in the population.

So like you already knew, yeah, no such thing as a safe drug.
    Did it make you dumber, though, is what people want to know. Or make you not as smart as you might have been?
    I know all the kids who did a lot of MDMA worry about social anxiety.
    Drunks like me worry about relapse and our health.
    Psychedelics users worry about whether or not they angered the mushroom gods and left a fragment of their mind on the astral plane, how to get the shadow cat to bring it back (am I the only one?).

Drugs make you worry, over questions with answers you couldn't act on anyway. Not after the fact.
    But as a baby of 18, any deficit you might have earned using meth can still be recovered. Lot of plasticity left, so go mold it or something.