How Much Should I Gather?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushroom hunting' started by M3th, Mar 23, 2006.

1. M3th

M3th Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am going shroom hunting in about aweek or two, and where i live Cubes are about the only thing that grow wild.

My question is how many should SWIM pick to have a good amount without bring like a scale with him?

Im guessing that you would need a pretty big bag to bring them back though right?

2. dzc18l

dzc18l Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    As much as SWIM can get! :D What I don't use he can dry for later.

3. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    By the way - always use a paper bag or cardboard box when you pick mushrooms. Whether they be ones you plan to have for dinner, or the kind that change the wallpaper - plastic will make them rot in a hurry. They appreciate the absorbing ability of paper (or wood). Also carry a pair of small scissors. Don't yank the mushroom out of the ground. Doing so only serves to damage the mycelium (which resembles a spider's web of thin filaments) from which the mushroom grows. A mushroom is the sex-organ of the mycelium that pops up to reproduce. By keeping the mycelium intact, one can come back to this spot time after time to find more of the 'shrooms. So just place the scissors down to ground level around the stock and snip!

The little dickens' will thank you.

FACT: Mycelium can extend underground for many acres and sometimes for miles!

4. M3th

M3th Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    WOW nag, that is an interesting fact.

I will make sure he brings a paper bag when he goes out, but I have another question....do shrooms smell?

Because, he is going up to his property which cows graze on when he does plan to go hunting, and will aslo be driving back with him.... Is there a kind of bag or way to store the shrooms for the ride back without the dad smelling or is SWIM fucked there...

5. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Mushrooms have a distinct, earthy smell, but they aren't very pungent, so I doubt they will smell enough to cause any suspicion...

6. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Pick a brown paper lunch sack full if you just need one dose. That will be plenty. Also, if other hunters go through the field you will leave them a little.

7. M3th

M3th Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yea its supposed to be SWIM and his friend doin the huntin, so they would need enough for a couple doses, which im guessing would be alot.

8. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    2 doses is not too much. I would say that a few good sized shrooms for each person is a good dose. It is hard to estimate how much they will weigh when picked but generally in my experience an averaged size shroom is about 10 grams wet. Small shrooms are about 5 grams wet and monsters are anywhere from 40g wet to 90 g wet. The biggest shrooms I has found was 90g wet if I remember correctly and his friend tripped his balls off of that shroom. Pick as many as you need but leave the rest behind.

9. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    I agree with all the comments above. Depending on you and your
    friend's experience, 2 doses would probably be in the 50-70g range (about
    2.5g-3.5g [eighth] dry each). Don't get greedy or anything, but as mentioned,
    you can always dry any extra. Smell shouldn't be an issue either... cubes
    aren't distinctly stinky like some species of shroom.

This is 98g wet, for comparison of volume.
    latecake06.jpg

Good luck, and be careful out there.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006