1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you smoke heroin?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by SDfool, May 18, 2017.

1. SDfool

SDfool Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o Female from California
    I don't even know where to start with this post. It's like many others I have read. Started dating my boyfriend a year and half ago, we moved in together after only dating a few months. I knew his behavior was weird. No money, disappearing for hours at a time. I don't know what it meant though and now I know.

Heroin.

He admitted to me a year ago he was an addict and needed help. He detoxed on his own at home and it was horrible. His behavior was still off tho. Sometimes he was still messed up. I think it was from taking xanax or other opiates. He of course always denied EVERYTHING! Well he replapsed after a few months and on Christmas I found him smoking heroin in our bathroom. He promised to get clean and pretended he wasn't using but obviously still was. I love him but can't trust anything he says. Everything seems like a lie and he can't even do a simple task like running to the gas station down the street in less than an hour. I could go on and on but I think you all get the picture and have heard the same stories before.

A week ago he confessed again that he was using, finally. He said he wanted help this time and he was going to stop. We are trying an open door policy until he can get to the Dr to start a program. Instead of going to his truck and smoking or disappearing for hours he's doing it in our living room or bathroom. He said if he doesn't do it he will be sick. My question is it seems like he has to do it every hour or so??? I feel like he's taking advantage of this new honesty policy. Does he really need to smoke that much so he doesn't get sick or is he just getting totally doped up???

I realize it's different for everyone considering tolerance and everything but It doesn't make sense to me that he would need to smoke that much just to keep from getting dope sick. He says it doesn't do anything to him anymore and he doesn't get high he's only doing it because he has to. I don't believe that he looks high as hell! Can't Lee his eyes open through dinner. I love him so much but I really don't trust him. How can I ever? We are fighting all the time. Looking at him is starting to make me sick because he's so messed up. I know I am not ready to leave him because I do want to believe he will stop but he's really bad and I don't know what it will take for him to get better.

2. Whistles

Whistles Newbie

Reputation Points:
    25 y/o Male from Texas, United States
    Dope sickness is a real thing. What happens is your brain naturally produces a chemical called dopamine which are the feel good chemicals that naturally make people happy or enjoy certain things.

Heroin chemically introduces dopamine and a lot of it which is why users experience extreme contentment and well being.

When users are introducing the dopamine through heroin the brain stops producing on its own because if someone else was doing your job for you with no consequence to you I imagine you would stop as well.

Dependency comes after a prolonged period of use to where a user MUST have the dopamine or else everything that the heroin has been suppressing begins to rise in a nasty way. The body is so used to being relaxed and now it's rigid. Euphoria is replaced with depression and anxiety. Restful nights of sleep become restless uncomfortable nights of insomnia for days in a row. Body temperature that has been regulated by drugs is now unregulated while the brain relearns how to regulate everything again to homeostasis.

Your boyfriend is very much addicted. While he might be smoking more than he needs to, to stay well, he definitely needs it to stay normal.

If I were you I would be proactive in finding him a doctor that will suboxone taper or a facility that will medically detox him with aftercare. I've used heroin for about 6 years, off and on. I've binged for months and months and also just been a weekend warrior.

When I was in the deepest point if I had someone that enabled me I would hang on as long as possible...dont wait for him to wake up one day and decide that's it. Find him a few options and give the ultimatum.

Hope this helps in some way.

3. Louvre

Louvre Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Smoking heroin is almost always a waste. Shoot it up or snort it, at least.

4. Impulse Control

Impulse Control Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o Male from UK
    For the physical dependency every hour is probably more than he needs. I wouldn't want to say that's definitely the case as there's no way to be certain there's not something different from normal either in how his body reacts or in the drug itself. But heroin, however you take it, generally lasts several hours. I find it wears off faster if I smoke it than when I inject, but it's still about 4 hours.

The mental/emotional side of addiction may be more demanding though. I think people often think of mental addiction as just a lack of willpower, but its not as simple as just wanting to get high. Heroin is very mentally addictive - I started out using it recreationally and knew it was extremely addictive (and I was already addicted to amphetamine so it's not as if I was low risk myself). I set myself rules about taking breaks between uses to avoid physical dependency. Went about how you'd expect - around the third or fourth time I took it I was thinking about it every day, I didnt have cravings so I didn't worry, it just started to be the only thing I found interesting. A couple more uses and any time something happened like an argument with a friend or dealing with an abusive customer at work I'd catch myself wishing I could be on heroin because it'd be so much easier to deal with things. My amphetamine addiction had started from a week long binge where I found at the end I couldnt stop. I figured if I had more structure with heroin it couldn't get out of control - and it didn't, it just gradually made me stop caring about my reasons for not wanting to get addicted in the first place. I'd said from the start that if I felt the slightest sign of mental or physical addiction, I'd stop while it was still easy. Which brings me back to what I said about willpower... willpower, for me at least, isn't the biggest problem. It's that by the time I noticed I was getting addicted I didn't want to stop, and couldn't remember why I'd been so bothered in the first place.

He may be lying about not feeling high, or he may not, either way, the need is likely to be about more than holding off withdrawal. Heroin still puts things into a kind of emotional "easy mode" for me even if I'm on a low dose and looking to stay clear headed. It doesn't stop me feeling sad/angry/hurt etc, it just stops the feelings being unbearable or stopping me making rational decisions. It wipes out what I think of as the background noise of my mind - I have anxiety, ptsd, and a few other issues that mean there's almost always something at the back of my mind putting me on edge, even if it's not directly distressing on a conscious level. On heroin, that's gone. He may be using it to self medicate a mental health issue, or to relax, or some other benefit he has found from it other than feeling a real high. Physically of course he shouldn't need to smoke it hourly to get those effects, but if he associates the action of smoking it with feeling happier, calmer etc then the repetitive ritual of smoking may be having the same effect.

The thing is though, while there are ways to help with his need for heroin - whether that's treating the physical effects of withdrawal, getting therapy to resolve underlying issues, taking meds to help with anxiety or depression if needed, etc - the only way I or any addict I know has been able to stop taking anything is by wanting to. That doesn't mean the desire to stop has to just happen spontaneously (amphetamine started causing me health issues, and after things progressed to seizures and serious lapses in memory I thought about it for a few days and then stopped, I was very stubborn). The difficulty of hiding it from you long term may have been enough to make him question his priorities, there may be other reasons that are making him feel ready to stop, but its also possible that he doesn't want to at all. If that's the case he may have confessed to take control of the situation, and is now going to see how long he can get away with guilt-free use. I feel bad being suspicious about someone I don't know but honestly, it's most likely what I'd do if I was in his situation :/

Realistically, I don't think this will stop being an issue for you for a long time, if ever. I'm not exactly the kind of person to say relationships with addicts and/or hard drug users can't work or anything like that - I'm married, and most of my friends are heavily into drugs and manage to have happy and fairly stable relationships. But it usually only works if either both people are into drugs, or if the non-drug using partner is comfortable with their partner's use and doesn't mind dealing with the difficulties that come with it. If people tolerate the situation but resent it, or a relationship only works because of lies, I don't think it really makes anyone happy. If he's genuinely committed to quitting and you are prepared to help him through it then he will need to do his fair share of the work - if he's fighting you about how often he's smoking instead of explaining why he needs so much so that you can understand the situation then he's putting it all on you to be understanding and supportive without him meeting you half way. You're definitely well within your rights to expect him to do better.