1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

How safe is taking Tylenol pm?

Discussion in 'Downers addiction' started by 31dotdave, Oct 8, 2012.

1. 31dotdave

31dotdave Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i take 2 tablets, 2/3 night a week for the last seven weeks. Is it safe to continue? I do not want to experience any wd's

Thanks for your help! the instructions on the bottle are very basic

2. ex-junkie

ex-junkie

Reputation Points:
    Two tablets 2-3 times a week is pretty insignificant. However in saying that, it is probable that you've underestimated how many you take each week and therefore it could be more significant. As for addiction, the answer to your question would be something like; "How long is a piece of string?" The reason I say this is because addiction is made up of physical, psychological, and sociological factors that differ between individuals. Why are you taking the tablets; ?pain; ?boredom.

3. 31dotdave

31dotdave Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I mix them with other drugs and the max i would take is 3 in a day. I am only concerned with physical addiction, thats why i only mentioned withdrawals and not addiction. according to wikipedia it is possible to become physically addicted. Thanks for your reply.

31dotdave added 179 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Has anybody taken them for more than 6 months while taking the twice in a week min? i take 2 tablets twice or three times a week

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. 31dotdave

31dotdave Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Has anyone ever experienced withdrawals from taking tylenol pm?

5. JJ1234

JJ1234 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I doubt there would be withdraws from it. I do suggest if you are going to use such a product to not use a tylenol one. There are many OTC sleep aids and allergy pills which contain the "knock out" ingredient(Diphenhydramine HCl) and no acetaminophen. If you are taking it for pain too then this is a whole nother story.

Anyway insomnia sucks as i can tell you from experience. There are many ways to naturally help you sleep and drugs become a crutch and useless after awhile. This being said i am glad you are choosing a non addictive drug to help instead of barbituates, benzos, or even z-drugs like ambien.

Best of luck to you!

6. 31dotdave

31dotdave Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thanks for your help. unfortunately bendryl and tylenol pm here are OTC but a the discretion of the chemist i believe(i'm in ireland), whether they sell it to you just, like OTC products with codeine, and due to my anxiety i havent asked for bendryl as i believe it might raise questions

7. JJ1234

JJ1234 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ^^^ Really it is very easy to purchase anywhere as far as i know. It isn't a drug that is widely abused and id very common to use for allergies. Not sure about where you are but here in the states it commonly used as an over the counter sleep aid.

8. KCIUB

KCIUB Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Far and away the worst side effects Diphenhydramine was hardcore, unbearable Restless Leg Syndrome.

A sleep aid that helps is Unisom OTC or Melatonin, as I've never experience RLS from these

9. joeshadow

joeshadow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    You will not get withdrawals from them, but taking them and then stopping can make falling asleep more difficult. I usually use sedating antihistamines when coming off other drugs and basically slowly adjust the dose down.

I should note that I have had life long sleeping problems and usually have to take at least something to help me sleep. In fact, I'd say sleep is the biggest factor in contributing to the periods of addiction I have had in my life.

I do have to say, I am finding I am liking unisom more and more. I find Diphenhydramine tends to make you sleepier quicker but unisom has a better quality of sleep. The trade off being that unisom will hang with you longer the next day.