1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Legal - how soon will kratom be illegal?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by ledhead91, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ledhead91

ledhead91 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kratom is not illegal in my state yet and I don't know why it would ever be but I paid a visit to a new doctor and I think she fed me a line of bull**** pertaining to this subject. She prescribes me my bipolar meds and upon visiting her the first time she gave me a pee test. I am guessing doctors like that drug test for people who are prescribed narcotics(to make sure they are taking them and not selling it), which i am not.

But anyways, The next visit she told me about the results from my test and said she found kratom. She began to lecture me about how i need to quit before my meds can be adjusted, which I understand. The thing is that I am completely happy where I am with kratom because without it I would get cravings for drugs again that are actually bad for you. My mood is stable as well.

We got to talking more and she said she thinks it will be illegal not only in kentucky but in the whole damn country by 2015.

Keep in mind she is a stonecold b***h. She did a study on how to catch people faking a piss test and how to make them more accurate and test for everything imaginable (even kratom.) She did so in order to get her doctorate degree.

So is she shitting me?

ledhead91 added 3 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Has anyone heard anything like this?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. FenixDelta753

FenixDelta753 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There is no way she "found" kratom on the test... Unless! she did one of those expensive tests that test specifically for kratom. I believe there is a kratom urine test, but its not very popular.

I don't think kratom will ever be made illegal, if they would just look at the positives, they greatly outweighs the negatives. What they should do is prevent the sale to minors, but this isn't even an issue. I could say "have you heard of kratom?" and 99-100% of people would say no, is that a movie?

Who is this person? I'd love to send her some information on kratom and how it helps people or perhaps someone thats better with words can. It's just ignorant... She's as bad as a politician looking for something to get them on the headlines or on the pharma companies good sides AKA, more campaign cash!

FenixDelta753 added 1 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

Also, have you ever mentioned that you use kratom to her? Perhaps that could be where she got it from. Its so unpopular among the mainstream that testing for it would waste a lot of money..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  3. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've never heard of a drug test that tests for kratom, but on more than one occasion, I've tested positive for Methadone while taking kratom. I haven't done Methadone in 3 years and I don't take anything else closely related to opiates. I think the chemical structure in Kratom is similar enough to Methadone that it will give you a false positive.

4. FenixDelta753

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I just responded to another post where someone was worried about that. It was indeed a false positive that was cleared up though right?

5. Boltzmann

Boltzmann Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Mitragynine and 7-HO-Mitragynine can be tested for. They are not tested for in dipstick tests, but they can be easily sent to a lab for such testing. You will not be vindicated, and you have already been discovered to have used it.

Please make your decisions and statements to professionals accordingly.

Best,

Boltzmann

6. FenixDelta753

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    She's slandering something that has helped him and seems to offer little sympathy, which really is the worst part. I work with doctors and that seems to be their mentality all too often. They're smart, but don't forget that everyone has something that they can learn.

7. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    There are more states testing for kratoms main alkaloids, i have heard of people being tested for them while on probation in states where it is legal.

Here is a list of places kratom is currently illegal and at the bottom is a list of states where kratom is being considered for being banned, there might be more states and if anyone has more information please add it here https://drugs-forum.com/threads/230702

8. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Im an old man who doesnt do facebook or twitter or any of that stuff. I dont spend too much time on the internet, relatively speaking. If I find out about Kratom, its getting too well known. When I research it, it appears it is huge. Two of the states around me have banned it, both Tennessee and Indiana. We have a headshop in out town that has expanded to 5 different locations based on Kratom sales alone. At least these people are word-of-mouth. To get in on this, another business opened up in very visible location, painted their building bright purple and put a HUGE pink, neon-lit "KRATOM DETOX" sign across the from of the business. When all this happens, the end is near. Just like what happened to Salvia. The publicity will continue, and the usual over-reaching authoritarian overseers will get on board with a ban, just because they can, and it gives them an issue to distract people from more important issues. It's a shame, because here in the USA we embrace the most dangerous drug in the world--Alcohol-- and teach our kids to strap on the booze fist at an early age and laugh off the devastating stuff it does to them by conveniently saying they it is "part of growing up".
    Ban harmless substance, promote dangerous, deadly one. Makes perfect sense to me . . .
    America, F*** YEAH!!!
    :beer

Sorry 'bout that rant [ decaf/ ]:rolleyes:

9. FenixDelta753

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thats outrageous... All of these things have one thing in common. They're profiting off of someone. Kratom is not an issue 99% of the time but for some reason we ignore testimonies and ban it then go get black out drunk and drive home, only to still teach our kids that its cool to drink a lot.

May I ask what state you live in? and do you know if they have any legislation in the works? I live in NY and It doesn't seem to have gotten much attention here. And it should stay that way.

Make it illegal for minors to purchase. Problem solved... I just dont get why its "cool" to ban things... Perhaps someone can help me understand this.

10. thunderkat59

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I am in Kentucky.
    We are thought of as scary hillbillies, and do have a lot of them, but the reality is, we are a blue state with very progressive Gov and Lieutenant Gov. Hemp growing is in the works here, and trying to stop the flow of pain meds from FL is taking up all of their time. So, Im not aware of any anti-Kratom legislation, currently. Since we do have a few wack, right wing'rs types in our gov to offset the more liberal factions, we still have to be very worried.
    I lived in Vermont when the war on Salvia started and it was scary stuff. Although there were no laws outlawing it, storm trooping sheriffs were confiscating it from shop owners based on--nothing. It was a mess. I see this craziness happening with Kratom, soon, especially with the totally stupid way it is being presented to the public by the most visible offenders. And as always, if a gov or drug company cant make a profit from something, its days are numbered.

11. FenixDelta753

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If we look at kratom like salvia then it may not be as bad as we all thought it would be. Becuase salvia wasnt banned in places like NY I believe because the news got bored with it. And remember, they don't want to help. They want viewers and hits on their website and TV programs.

12. ledhead91

ledhead91 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I never mentioned that I use kratom to her and she said that she uses one of the best drugtests out there. I don't know why anyone would be so interested in catching people trying to fake drugtests to the point that its the focus in her academic career.

She cray-cray

ledhead91 added 12 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

I am from kentucky as well.

Remember we do have senator paul on our side. His dad was infamous for promoting the end to the war on drugs. Its sad to see tax money going to arresting teens who smoke or grow pot and if they have enough then we get to pay for their prison stay.

If this happens with kratom then they can pry my 8 oz. Bag of green malay from my fuckin cold dead hands!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  13. thunderkat59

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Where in KY?

If in the 'Ville, did you see the business I am talking about on Grinstead and Bardstown?
    Not a good way to stay under the radar.

14. ledhead91

ledhead91 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I just sent rand paul's office a good email on this issue. I will let you guys know when I get a response. He is known for answering letters and emails too...it may take awhile but I will get a response.

ledhead91 added 2 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

I live just outside of owensboro

ledhead91 added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

I haven't been to louisville in years. Their skatepark is awesome though

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  15. thunderkat59

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Let us know. If you get a real response, Ill write one too. :beer

16. ledhead91

ledhead91 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Sounds good man.

This is what everybody needs to do in their state.

17. FenixDelta753

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't agree with Paul or his party on just about anything and he downright drives me nuts. But on the drugs issue, he's right on. He's national so he couldnt really do much if theres a state bill coming up but it would be nice if he would make a letter and send it to state legislators that are proposing the bill. I dont know if he or his staff would ever want to do that but I think legislators (espicially conservative or tea party dominated ones) would listen to him over the people they govern asking them to drop a certain peice of legislation... As backwards as that is, it seems to be proving more and more true.

Anyway, NY is the second or third most liberal state in the nation so I highly doubt that it would even be proposed here since we're currently looking at medical marijuana here (yay! pot makes me feel weird but Ill get my card just for the option)

18. pizt

pizt Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Im sure your doctor, like most, are out to put u on as many big pharma drugs as they can to line their own pockets. They usually thumb their nose up at anything natural. I try and stay clear of all meds and go for all natural alternatives when I can.

19. FenixDelta753

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Exactly. I thought it was illegal for pharma companies to give kickbacks to doctors for prescribing meds to people that the companies have a monopoly on... But I guess they may have succesfully bought enough politicians to change that. You know, just like their constituants dont want.

20. mervinm86

mervinm86 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hey OP, I am a licensed attorney in the United States w/ access to Westlaw which includes the most up to date information on pending state and federal legislation. Although bills have been introduced in individual states to ban Kratom, only a few have passed (notably Indiana). I can say with certainty that there is currently no legislation to ban Kratom on the federal level (however it is included on the DEA's list of "drugs and chemicals of concern"). Your doctor is full of crap, and sounds like she is trying to scare you. She may have a point though with how your meds interact with kratom, as there is little to no research in that area. However, unless she has some sort of legal insight or access to some study classifying Kratom as dangerous, I would say her claims are unfounded. Hope this helps!