Drug info - How to Avoid a Bad Mushroom Trip?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by tyler durden, Feb 7, 2004.

1. tyler durden

tyler durden Newbie

Reputation Points:
    excepct of salvia and all forms of THC i've never really tried anything else! when i was 14 i drunk some shrooms tea with some friends .... i went home and felt asleep before the effect started! i had some gross dreams, nothin' else!

an expierenced friend of mine wants to try some with me! i'm a bit scared that i might get a bad trip, cause i think i'm susceptible to bad trips (*remembering the first times i tried pot and thought i die *lol*)!

ok, there are these standart rules:

1. be anywhere you feel comfortable

2. don't panic while using

3. don't do any things that might scare you

i'm a little bit scared to get a bad trip! and i heard a lot of storys about ppl with bad trips, and weird stuff they were doin' ....

so, anyone could set up some advise please?

2. ibbjamin

ibbjamin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    almost everyone i know has the time of their life the first couple times eating mushrooms. many laugh for well over half or the trip. My first two times I took 2.3 grams and those were some of the funnest, happiest trips I have had. Now, I am more dose sensitive, and I start by taking about a gram to see where the trip is leading me before i end up in a serious mind f*@~! If the atmosphere is right, you should be fine. If anything does happen, know that you'll be fine in about 2-3 hrs.

3. icemaster

icemaster Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    definitely the environment is #1, take them with a small group of close friends who are all dosing; if possible take them on a nice day, outsidein a scenic isolated location away from all other 'normal' people. Doing things like going into stores can be fun, but can be a disaster as well. Also, drinking can help reduce anxiety and paranoia on mushrooms, I would just recommend not drinking too much, especially if dosing heavily on shrooms, and to start drinking before taking the shrooms cause once the effects set in alcohol has virtually no effect.

4. chronichick

chronichick Newbie

Reputation Points:
    well i'd give you this one bit of advice... don't assume everyone knows your on shrooms...

best thing to do is wait for a nice day, have your close friends with you.. no one that will make you uncomfortable.. andSTOP worrying about having a bad trip, otherwise thats all you'll have on your mind and panic about not panicking... ohh it could be a nasty situation lol...

just keep in mind that you WILL have fun. they're amazing.

5. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Yes, I agree. If you keep dwelling on having a bad trip, your going to. Your mind takes you in the direction of the thoughts it is having. There are five levels of the high. A level three trip is the best to have on your first go. Try to take 2-3 grams dried. Any more than this, and you will be in a bad situation. Once you have your first trip under your belt, you can up the dosage, because your mind and body will know what to expect, and the call to panic lessons.

The mushroom will take you places you have only dreamed of going. If taken wisely, with knowledge and an amount that you are comfortable with, the trip will generally always be a good one. Just rememer, you can change the direction, unless you have gone to a level 5. Then, you are at the mercy of the Mushroom Lord.

6. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My Opinion on this he wrote me:

Now this is a topic I'd like to discuss because I got a few thearies on bad trips, now i have tripped on lsd, shrooms, dxm (lots of times) , and salvia all lots of times without ever having a bad trip, or even a slightly bad trip,and i did not ease myself into tripping i went straight from weed to 2 hits of the best acid i have ever got, and that nightwas one of the best in my life I will never forget it.Anyways first off i agree that If you worry about having a bad trip you will, If you go into a trip in a happy andexcited mind set where you have no worries, nothing will go wrong, I donteven think of the posibility of anything going wrong with my trips, not mentally at least, but i do set good times to do it,I think only ignorant people have bad trips, Im sure you have all met people like this who just took lsd yet when they get a visual they freak out, I just want to smack them they see a visual and panic i see one and am amazed by whatever it is. Furthermore I think it has nothing more to it that having the right mindset. Having the proper trip place, toys, and friends also makes the trip much more fun.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  7. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    OK, lol, the debate is on. I have been eating mushrooms for 20 years. I have grown for close to 10. SHit happens. My last mushroom trip could have went south real quick. It was the first time I have ever been nauseous. My first tendancy was to panic. Had I been an inexperianced shroomer, it would have been very easy for me to slip over to the negative side. My twin sister was trippin balls with me, and her first reaction (she was sick also) was to go to the emergency room. I managed to talk her thru it, knowing we were really ok. It was just a bitch getting to peak. Basically, we both came on way too quick, and our bodies were fighting motion sickness from being disoriented so quickly. You do not have to be ignorant to have a bad trip. Sometimes all it takes is something as simple as stomach upset. However, they do happen, and unless you have the keys (knowledge) to break the path, your gonna spiral into that dark hole. More power to you if you choose to go balls to the wall your first trip. I do not reccomend it, because one hellish experiance can ruin you to this wonderful drug. ANd, what a shame that would be.

8. telefone

telefone Newbie

Reputation Points:
    OneDiaDem your argument sound legit to me. As i can only dream about the life RoboCop has...thing is some people (like me) have bad mind and personallity disorders and cannot imagine utopia on earth. I never stop trying tho to change, seems to work little bit....but i agree it all dpends on mindset.

9. texas repn

texas repn Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: how to avoid a bad trip?

I say:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009
  10. AntiAimer

AntiAimer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: how to avoid a bad trip?

Mind set and environment is key. It seems Smurf'ets mind set is already tainted. Must be taken on a day, with cares free and no negative vibes/bad thoughts. Nothing to do and no worrys. Somewhere your comfortable to be in where you can just let your mind roam free. Mushrooms like all psychedelics need to be respected. Now batch and what you have eaten can play a role also, every experience will be different.

The key is to, except what your mind has to show you. No matter if it's fungus growing in your bathrooom/anywhere all over or your body is starting to appear like you have tribal tattoos all over your body makeing other people see the same because Smurf'et is trippen about it. No matter how "bad" it may seem, remember you have taken a powerful psychedelic, now your experiencing the effects. Should be happy to experience such things, a real life movie that your mind added with some chemical makes. Bad experiences usually are only bad at the time, while in reality makes you a stronger person while haveing better respect for the drug. Can make Smurf'et brace for such experiences in the future, make it easier to make it past and fall back into a good experience.

Be safe and use your brain. Also noticed this was from 2004, o well, Smurf thinks his info can be used with any drug. Has yet, let him down. Wonder what happen to this guy? 5 posts to never post again. Maybe he had his bad experience?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  11. tweak123

tweak123 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    chocolate bar goodness

swim's bf called her today and asked if she wanted to do shrooms. she immediately said yes with no hesitation. I am really excited and started reading about other people's trips and heard a few horror stories. she is prepared for a bad trip and is ok with that, but I was just wondering if there are certain people who are more suceptable to bad trips. she also read about some sort of disorder it can cause and was wondering if certain people are suceptable to that too. it's like having flashbacks but its more constant i think. thanks!

12. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Re: chocolate bar goodness

Don't worry about bad trips they are rarer than you think. There is no need to be "prepared for a bad trip" and this may be detrimental. Just try to relax and You will be fine. :)
    HPPD is extremly rare, once again I wouldn't worry.

13. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

None of Bongo's associates has ever had a flashback, or other undesirable after-effect from psychedelics. And they could be classified as true welter-weight explorers. Worst that ever happened was a progressive case of enlightenment.

14. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

Only a few simple steps need to be taken in order to avoid a bad trip:

Education: Read up on the effects of psilocybe mushrooms. Understanding how they work will put one's mind at ease in regards to how they interpret the effects. Learn what side effects to expect, duration of trip etc. Look through the forum search engine and You will find plenty of information. DON'T BELIEVE THE HORROR STORIES. 99.9% of them are bullshit.

Set & Setting: Approach the trip in a relaxed, safe and controlled atmosphere. Avoid annoying or ignorant company if possible. If You feels too nervous to go on the trip beforehand then simply don't bother go ahead with it. Getting peer pressured into using psychedelics is the wrong approach.

Dose: Don't take a high dose on the first trip. Take a single dose (2.5g dried normally with p. cubensis - the most commonly used shroom) or less. It's better to learn how to swim in the shallow end in the beginning.

15. SunnyHours

SunnyHours Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.
    Ways not to get a bad trip?

So, SWIM's first experience with mushrooms turned real nasty last summer.
    He did 3.5g of mush since he had already took 2g in the past with no effects.
    Now he would get another chance to try some good mush soon.
    What amount should SWIM take (6'1" - 170pounds) and what can he do to help not getting a bad trip?
    I would really like to enjoy shrooms! help!

16. Samadhi

Samadhi Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Ways not to get a bad trip?

Set and setting. Surround swiyself with people he trusts and likes and pick a setting where anxiety is not going to be a problem (i.e. outdoors instead of being in a mall or house party) also, swim noted that when there is a bad body load from the mushrooms, it can lead to weird thoughts (worms in the gut...ewww) and odd paranoia that what he's done is going to hurt him.

Psilocin is a dark chemical sometimes to my lab-cats in the wrong setting but when there is nothing to worry about or be paranoid of, it is a grand ol' time and a very spiritual tryptamine.

PS. It always helps on top of all these things to think positively. If something screws up or upsets you, shrug it off and chances are you're making a bigger deal out of it than what it is. AND... another thing, start low on the dosage and work the way up. I have seen too many people who think they are completely in control who take 5+grams of very freshly dried mushrooms and end up becoming Moses trying to part the carpet like the red see and screaming "let my snakes go" (no joke, it happened and it was quite disturbing.)

Swim suggests for a first dose, try 1.5 grams or so of moderate potency mushrooms. If it is not what You wants, there is always more time in the future to do more and further his research.

good luck. :p

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  17. ADVOR

ADVOR Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I have found that eating half the amount SWIM regularly would, then eating the other half once the first half kicks in reduces the chance of a freakout. The way I think this works is that the peak is spread out and not as intense because obviously the second half kicks in after the first half.

Another suggestion I have heard (but never tried), is drinking one or two beers during the come-up. Supposedly it takes the anxiety away. I wouldn't try this without a second opinion though.

Also, I find it strange that You felt nothing from 2 grams. I have eaten 1.5g and tripped hard. I have also eaten 4g and tripped hard. Either way, I would suggest buying a decent amount (5 or so grams) and eating it in small doses. Maybe 1 gram every half hour until You feels like it will be a good enough amount.

And I must re-iterate samadhi's ideal of set and setting. I have learned this the hard way. Be with comfortable people and in a comfortable place. Also, don't shroom when You is going through a tough time (relationship troubles, out of work and depressed, whatever it may be).

Good luck.

18. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Why did it turn bad? Were you watching paranoid movies? Think you were dying? Feeling so incredibly small and meaningless? Being confronted by your latent homosexuality? Couldn't stop puking in between being racked by powerful cramps? Kept getting into long arguments with your stupid GF on the phone? This is a pretty important thing to consider before approaching the subject. Let's take a look at the possibilities.

1) Stupid activities for a Tripp. Don't set your self up for a miserable time by watching misery. Sure The Wall is classic viewing, but do you really want to sit through two hours of depressing music watching someone loose their mind, while being assulted by nightmarish images every few minutes? I'm not saying there isn't a time and place to inflict such things on your self, but it can be a factor. Concerts, house parties, festivals, anywhere in public or with lots of people (even if most are cool with activities), can all be a really easy way to set your self up. Of course, so can being alone.

2) Fighting Ego Loss. These chemicals obliterate your ego, your sense of self. Your ego isn't exactly down with this and panics. Your body interprets this as oncoming death. You freak out and start fighting it, making the whole thing worse. You need to understand before hand "YOU WON'T DIE!" It simply doesn't happen. You need to LET GO. Let the ego be obliterated and become one with all. It really is that simple and I promise you the effects are, well you'll see.

3) Overwhelmed by Reality. This is where a good group comes into play. Some things you aren't really designed to understand and getting a glimpse of those can hurt, it can hurt bad. The truth is, on the galactic scale, everything is pretty small and meaningless, not just you. Be confident and confide with your close friends and go do something else. This is probably one of the harder things to deal with.

4) Pretending You don't have Issues. Once all the walls are stripped away and you are looking at the real you, you might not be to thrilled with what you see. All sorts of things can surface, bad memories, repressed feelings, emotional disturbances, the reality of your addictions/bad habits, possibly even long term mental illnesses, it's a risk, but it is also a fantastic opportunity. People try to claim "I'm not that way, it was the drugs making me like that", or "I don't have any issues like that! It just REALLY bothers me!" (after an hour of ruminating on incest out of nowhere). Keep having troubling thoughts, ignoring them will not work. Every time you tripp you realize drinking everyday is horrible for you and ruining your life and you need to stop? You really bes stop drinking before you tripp again or it's going to rear its ugly head. Find your self flirting with guys after taking LSD and then freaking out the next day? I can promise you having sex with lots of girls won't do anything about that. Reality IS, you can accept it or not, but it IS.

5) Bad physical reaction. There is a story of a girl who tried weed three times, all three she had horrible visual alterations, time dilations, and puked her guts out. No one else had these issues so the logical conclusion to draw is, it was her. She doesn't touch the stuff after that. "Doctor, every time I do this it hurts!" "Well don't do that!" Some people can't handle substances, don't feel bad, don't be stupid. This goes for mental stuff too. This guy no one knew would do things like call his mom at 3am and say "someone tried to shoot me, but I'm ok, I love you bye bye." and hang up the phone. By morning he'd be regretful, swear off drugs, and next weekend he'd be naked, trying to get his friends to shower with him. Don't be that guy.

6) Other People. SWIM refuses to let people use their cellphones in his house, it makes holding a conversation a whole lot easier. An old friend was dating some jerk who would constantly call with inane issues, petty drama, wild accusations, that were impossible to be dealt with over a phone. He'd get into arguments infront of other people, with someone who wasn't there. All very awkward. Likewise, talking with your mom who wants to know why you don't have a job and your brother is in jail again, while you just want to go roll in a clover field, is also a bit of a buzzkill. Being in the middle of a frat party of douchbags talking about fucking sluts and how much beer they can drink... I could go on. Before a tripp, cut your self off from the rest of the world, turn off your phones, lock the doors, silence the door bell and answering machine, turning off the internet, just do your own thing and be-damned the rest of the world. They will survive without you for 12 hours. Don't give other people the chance to bring you down, don't pick up the phone, don't answer the door. It's just easier that way.

Of course that isn't everything that could be going bad, but a reasonable starting point for analysis.

19. ADVOR

ADVOR Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

QFT for sure.

A lot of SWIM's friends and SWIM himself like to go camping whilst eating mushrooms or any other powerful mind-altering drug. I have found that when taking larger doses of mushrooms, a complete ego-loss is present. When SWIM trys to fight that because of feelings of fear and panic, his mind remains partially aware of the surroundings, but the concepts of the world that he have become accustomed to are forgotten. Sometimes I feel like he has the mind of a newborn infant. I don't understand language, or any concept of anything; what a chair is for, why people show affection, why and how people walk and/or move around, etc. etc. The strange thing is that SWIM still talks (even though it's mostly things like "I don't know what's going on, I don't understand anything, What the fuck!??!" etc. and walks around and uses these concepts that he can't seem to understand.

If SWIM were to simply let the ego-loss take place, this would not be a problem. When the mind accepts the loss of ego, you can literally become one with the Universe. I've also heard of someone having an OOBE and becoming one with the tree. He said there was sort of a "slot" for a soul in the tree and he became it. He felt the roots and leaves and all of the tree's processes taking place. It must have been a beautiful experience.

Anyhow, mushrooms are not for the weak. Some people can't handle the raw power that they give you.

20. cra$h

cra$h Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Philly

if you have any doubts, dont even bother. wait another day. so if you think you're going to bug out, you will. especially while trippin. to help with this, make sure you can change the scenerey easily. it's all preparation.
    on another note, alright! 300 posts!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008