1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - How to avoid tramadol tolerance/rebound effects?

Discussion in 'Tramadol' started by atlantis94, Mar 21, 2014.

1. atlantis94

atlantis94 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I use tramadol fairly regularly and I found that the day afterwards I sometimes get rebound anxiety. How often can I safely use tramadol and in what doses without developing tolerance and rebound effects. Is it unavoidable or can you avoid those negatives?

2. CannabisBenzoBuddie

CannabisBenzoBuddie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If your using Tramadol for its rec. properties i suggest you stop.. The sNri rebound effects are what your feeling an the more you abuse the drug the worst those side effects are going to be.

Tramadol is not a drug to be toyed around with because of the dual acting mechanism of the drug, Opiate and sNri ..

Your playing russian roulette. Metaphorically speaking.

3. Rightnow289

Rightnow289 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I concur you are playing with fire. Stop now before it becomes an actual physical addiction. Started on codeine ended up injecting heroin and on methadone. Do you really want to end up like that? Seriously ask yourself that very question now before it is too late. You may think to yourself that you would never ever do that but opiates are insidious drugs if you abuse them. You may think that you are too strong a person for that to happen to well I said the exact same thing to myself and I kept drawing lines in my mind that I said I'd never cross the only one I stuck to was not injecting into my groin.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. babalooj

babalooj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from New York, U.S.A.
    The doses you take depend entirely on your tolerance; nobody can say what a good dose for you is as only you know your body and tolerance. Also, please be aware of the seizure risk associated with tramadol usage; if you are susceptible to getting seizures or if you take above 400 mgs, you greatly increase your chance of seizing.

I have never heard of rebound anxiety from tramadol use, but i don't doubt it could happen.
    How often do you use? And at what doses? What do you use the tramadol for?, pain, depression, or to get high? Try limiting your usage to perhaps once a week at most because you should also know that tramadol is also an opioid. If you enjoy the effects it gives you, it can be quite easy to fall into addiction. Addiction to opioids, while it may be fun for a bit, always ends up hellish. Also, coming off of tramadol is even more hellish and some have said the withdrawals from it are worse than that of heroin.

There are ways to avoid the negatives, but it gets harder and harder as time goes on

5. atlantis94

atlantis94 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I use 400mg generally twice a week, I take it for social anxiety and it seems very effective. It does make me feel very good but mainly I take it to quell anxiety. I know it's very addictive and I must be cautious especially because it helps me deal with anxiety. I just wondered whether if you can use it sensibly and still avoid rebound problems. I had some yesterday and today I feel fine, before that I haven't had it for many months but my anxiety came back in full force. Drugs aren't good but they seem to help with an underlying condition, I don't intend to have any until next week and don't feel any cravings. Does anybody else here get rebound anxiety from tramadol use? Sometimes I think it could be something that I've created in my mind or perhaps it is just underlying anxiety that would exist regardless of drug use, anxiety existed in me long before I took any drugs, bare that in mind. I'm not saying drugs are good, they'll fuck you over if ur not careful but if I can take them occasionally and avoid extreme negatives I feel that's better than being sober every day if my life if it helps me keep my head above water, Especially if you were troubled by negative thinking when totally sober.

6. Rightnow289

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I personally think you would be better off coming up with some coping strategies for your anxiety. I had this drummed into me for a long time bu never really listened. Meditate have cbt if you can afford realise what sets off the anxiety in the first place. If you can do this then you work some steps around why the anxiety is there in the first place and come up with a sensible way to get round it. I.E. not escaping from it.

I took opiates because I was depressed but it was a self fulfilling prophecy in that in the long term they actually make you more depressed than when you first started out.

Same with benzos I took benzos for serious and when I say serious I mean severe anxiety constant overlapping panic attacks that would not stop.

Then I realised the benzos bring on anxiety as coming out of the system. I'm now at a point where benzos are inefficient.

I haven't touched opiates in 4 years and plan on being totally substance free within a year no matter how back breaking and depressing and anxious it may be.

If you think it is the tramadol that is causing the anxiety try stopping taking it.

Do not take tramadol for longer than you have been advised by your doctor. This is because repeatedly using tramadol may lead to your body becoming dependent on it. When you then stop taking it, it will cause withdrawal symptoms such as restlessness and irritability. If you are concerned about this, discuss it with your doctor or pharmacist.

Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  7. atlantis94

atlantis94 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I agree with you to a certain extent, no question benzos create more anxiety through rebound and withdrawal, I try to steer clear of them and alcohol. Tramadol also has many downsides, you say you had severe anxiety and that's kl, I know you probs know what I'm referring to then. I just get irritated by people who tell me about cognitive techniques for crippling social anxiety, less u have been there it's like shut the fuck up. I run 5km every morning, eat healthy take omega 3 and get as much natural sunlight as possible, I still feel like shit sometimes. Some of this is to do with serotonin and other neurotransmitter as we all have different levels. Obviously, tramadol is very bad to take consistently for the problem but I'm sorry meditation and yoga are only helpful after the fact, they don't really quell the stress response in moments of sheer debilitating panic but I still think there useful at times. Drugs are sometimes valuable for occasional, short-term use, long as you can avoid negative side-effects and withdrawals but I appreciate the help thanks

8. Rightnow289

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Atlantis you are talking to some who suffers from panic disorder. I couldn't leave the house even in the house I had no safe haven even in my home I felt sheer terror. It wasn't merely social anxiety it was pure agoraphobia by the end. It was caused by a neurolgical condition concerned with balance that set off a panic attack that lasted for 6 months then I resorted to benzos but now I wish I'd rode it out but it's pointless looking back now.

From all I've learnt about anxiety our brains are wired in such a way that the more you do something the more ingrained it becomes that it is dangerous to you and you may never get over that if you continue trying to escape.

In moments of panic I feel now when I get dizzy there are various breathing techniques look into the tapping teqhnique online, hypnottherapy there are answers out there that do not require drugs. If you feel the need for a drug some people do how about something like propranalol? Does that not help? You may think you look a fool to anyone else if you are tapping on your wrist but the fact is no-one actually gives a shit they are more embroiled in their own lives than wondering why you are tapping on your wrist. The tapping technique works for me or even a rubber band around your wrist. I have a ring which has a chain on it when I'm anxious I twirl the chain with my finger no-one notices it at all.

There is also hydroxyxine and promethazine which aid with anxiety which are not addictive and will not cause these effects you describe. They are sedaive antihistamines but they do work. They eased my anxiety when cominng off methadone as I stoutly refuse to take SSRI's SNRI's in fact any anti depressants for me they cause me to feel suicidal or more anxious.

Anyway it's your choice if you choose to continue using tramadol for anxiety but it's indication is for mainly pain not anxiety.

Good luck man

9. atlantis94

atlantis94 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thanks right now, I appreciate the help. I agree with your point best to wait out those feelings if atall possible, I had tramadol Thursday and it got me out of a tricky situation without too much trouble.I still have the option to take them and there available but I won't, they almost act as a safety net so if a point should come in the future when I feel I can't cope and I have to face the world they may be there to help me. I don't foresee any panic stricken for some time to come so in the mean time I'll stick with yoga and the kinds of things you mentioned, exercise, video games and work etc lool.

Just out of curiosity which benzos did u use and are u tapering back/ is that working successfully? I had to taper off low dose klonopin so I know it can be a bitch, hope it's goin well

10. Rightnow289

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I got to the point of taking 12mg of xanax a day everyday. I am now on 30mg of diazepam a day and feel panic a hell of a lot but if I take certain steps they do really help.

My counsellor always told me avoidance is the worst thing one can do as your brain becomes wired into thinking you are not safe. The more you avoid the more the fight or flight in your body kicks in and it is so true. I've tested this out on many occasions.

My anxiety is so bad I cannot go on long car journeys get in lifts planes a definite no ever ever again it's what set the whole thing off in the first place. Then I started getting antsy in public at work any situation I couldn't escape. The best advice I've ever been given is if you feel a panic attack coming don't fight it embrace it because the mre you fear a panic attack the more likely you are to have one.

Everyone is different though.

Distraction is a brilliant tool to use in situations whatever that may be I listen to music talk to someone anything to distract my mind from itself when it's being an idiot.

Anxiety is horrible addiction is much much worse.

11. detoxin momma

detoxin momma Just A Brick In The Wall Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Mid-West USA
    i myself take tramadol daily.for 4 years now.i have nothing negative to say about it.i have never noticed any rebound anxiety.
    i stick to the bare minimum though.i even break a 50mg pill in half and take half in am and half in pm sometimes.just to keep my tolerance as low as possible.
    it must be working to,its been 4 years and i still can get by on only 50,sometimes 100 mgs a day.depending on how much work i have that day lol

12. atlantis94

atlantis94 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I hope your taper goes well rightnow, ye anxiety definitely sucks. Benzos are crazy coming off of least ur on diazepam with is much easier to slowly taper off. Not painless but you'll get there eventually buddy. Anxiety is just a part of life for some of us, people who don't understand that or worse, mock it, can go fuck themselves. Ps glad hear detoxin that you are able to avoid tramadol a negatives, I always have higher doses than you do whenever I take it which maybe why I get twitchy the next day but for the time being I'm kl without it. If I ever feel like I did on Thursday again, as long as the episodes are reasonably spaced out and addiction won't occur, I certainly won't hesitate taking them again. Thanks for the help y'all

13. allme

allme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Can someone please explain to me why this happens? I am taking them for my depression and other issues, I am really starting to panic after reading this. I thought I had found the answer in tramadol :'(

14. detoxin momma

detoxin momma Just A Brick In The Wall Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Mid-West USA
    i to have social anxiety.
    i to feel like tramadol completely takes away any anxiety i get from being social.COMPLETELY.

i am a more out going productive person now than i ever have been.if i dont take tramadol i have no problem staying home,inside,all day,even all week.no bullshit.its kinda sad actually.

im a normal looking,perfectly intelligent individual.and im perfectly content being a hermit.without tramadol.

i hate that.theres a whole world out there waiting for us to be part of it.and tramadol makes me ready to face the day.

so 'rightnow289",i get where youre coming from.and i understand what youre saying.most people don't buy into agoraphobia.but i do.

so if all i gotta do is take a little tramadol to get over this,im fine with that.
    and i do mean a little.ive NEVER had over 200 mgs in day.

one time i took 150 MGs at once and i got so light headed,dizzy,and felt like my heart was gonna burst!

as for avoiding tolerance.i break my pills in half and cut my dose in half for a few days.
    keeps my tolerance in check.and its an easy step to take.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  15. Rightnow289

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Well as you may know opiates are physically addictive. Opiates work on the reward centre through your dopamine levels. When you get dependent on opiates if you are a certain type of person like I was it just doesn't quite hit the spot anymore which lead to me injecting heroin because smoking or snorting just didn't do anything anymore even though I was taking he same dose or more or take them away the dopamine levels drastically decrease which means you feel little pleasure from anything. In withdrawal this leads to quite severe depression and a feeling of emptiness but it does go away! I highly stress that it does go away if you quit.

I was a heavy user of opiates but after bout 6 months te old me returned once more. Your anxiety levels will go up too for a few weeks.

16. IRX120

IRX120 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Drugs just aren't the long term answer to depression/anxiety. They give you short term relif that usually is tenfold worse in the years to come. Just about the only drugs that relieves anxiety/depression and can permanently fix them are potent psychedelics like LSD, weed, and shrooms. Cause they show you your problems, slap you in the face with them and show you how to fix them.

Opiates & benzos just make you oblivious to them for a few hours or so.

17. politoxy

politoxy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    Hello, I started taking tramadol to detox from heroin and methadone.
    After several attempts I now take 2 weeks with 50 mg daily and this week on 50mg every 37 hours.
    The second day (after 24 hours) and I really have trouble sleeping in the next few hours I feel apathetic and tired and wanting to go back to using heroin. Someone can help me? I think a good sleep would help me a lot, but do not want take benzodiazepines! Thanks

18. IRX120

IRX120 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^while you can maintain a decent habit with tramadol withdrawing from the tramadol also causes SSRI withdrawal and causes more depression. Tramadol withdrawal is on par with methadone from what I have read.

If your only on 50mg of tramadol right now and your not in full withdrawal, find the dose that has you feeling "normal" (try 100-150mg a day) and taper by 12.5mg (a quarter of a tab) every 5-7 days, just ween off of it slow, don't go back to the dope tho in my opinion, if I was you I would much rather take a bit of xanax for a few days then go back to heroin, if your using a benzo to help with detoxing, taking it only to sleep and only for like 2-3 days shouldn't cause any psyical dependence.

19. politoxy

politoxy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    Hello, what I want is to remove the entire tramadol, I'm taking any benzo one night but do not want to abuse symptoms so!'m taking lexatin3mg, trankimazin2mg, lormazepam2mg, tranxilium50 and can sleep but the next day I'm listless and also looking forward to returning to heroin! Ojo the benzos I take just a guy I do not mix, it's according to what you have that day! Xanax non know what you need prescription? she's a benzo too? THANKS
    In the last days I upped to 100 daily BYE