1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions - how to be prescribed valium (Diazepam)

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by Afroman4fro20, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Afroman4fro20

Afroman4fro20 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    I have paranoid schizophrenia i am told valium is used to treat anxiety how should i be perscribed this? what should i say for my next doctor visit

2. 788.4

788.4 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    What other medications are you currently taking?

Also, is there any reason why you want Valium in particular? There are lots of medications used to treat anxienty.

Klonopin and Ativan are in the same class as Valium and are more often prescribed because they are less drowsy and longer lasting. They have virtually the same effect.

I assume that as a paranoid schizophrenic you have problems with paranoia and anxiety. If your doctor is aware of your symptoms he will prescribe what he thinks is appropriate.

However usually psychiatrists are somewhat flexible. If you tell him or her that you would like to try a medication they will let you try it if it is appropraite. You can be very direct and say something like "I heard/read that Valium is helpful for anxiety. Do you think that I could try it?".

3. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

No, I dont think you do. If you were diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, you would be prescribed sarequel, valium, and many other drugs you would need to maintain. you would also be put on disability and your meds would be paid for.

So many teenagers think they know enough to self-diagnose themselves ... which is fine if you wanna be a whiny teen and say you have depression, or a weird kid and say you have a parsonality disorder... but paranoid schzophrenia is not something you could self diagnose, nor is it something you should go around saying you have.

and to get on the road of getting prescribed valium for anxiety, you simply tell your doctor you are having anxiety attacks and have social anxiety that prevents you from doing many things you need to get done in public... such as work and shopping.

4. korky8097

korky8097 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    if you have a legitamate problem, you will get meds. No need to kiss the docs ass or anything. A doctor wouldnt refuse somebody with terminal cancer a good pain med, they will give you what they believe will help you. Now if you are trying to get val to get high on or sell, dont say you have something that extreme, say you have anxiety attacks. Assuming you are being serious and actually diagnosed by a real doctor, then you would take whatever helps you, not what you hear is badass or whatnot.

5. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I keep reading the OP and laughing. Paranoid schizophrenic and not only has your doctor not noticed anything wrong, but you're convinced that diazepam is teh cure. Have you considered xanax, or is Pharmacia & Upjohn run by space aliens out to steal your soul?

6. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    ^^ lol. I agree with the posts above, you cannot diagnose yourself accuratly, or even at all. Hell, i used to think i was bipolar (turns out im not and Mary Jane was just getting to my head, as soon as i quit, so did the symptoms). And if you are clinically diagnosed, the doctor will prescribe you what he thinks is appropriate, while u can always ask questions and request medications youve heard of, it all depends on the doctor and your situation. Im sure there has to be better things to treat schizophrenia (sp?) than a benzo, it probably would help but when theres drugs like seroquil, dont get your hopes up.

7. Afroman4fro20

Afroman4fro20 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    right now im perscribed risperdal

8. Ninja Master

Ninja Master Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    risperdal, sounds realy heavy. ya ask your doc to test difrent benzos on you in a controlled setting. if your anti psychotic is not working properly, rotate to a difrent one. i believe your anti psychotic will be like a benzo, but stronger. benzos are used to treat anxioty and stress problems as stated above. valium, is natorious to kill from quiting it cold turky. once you get on a benzo, you need to slowly quit taking it, stepping down gradualy, when your ready to quit. if i was perscribed to a benzo, i would probably never quit taking it.

"then you would take whatever helps you, not what you hear is badass or whatnot." good statement man... i like people that use medicine, rather than abuse drugs =)

z

9. 788.4

788.4 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Antipsychotics are very different from benzodiazpines. Risperdal sounds appropraite. Antipsychotics are standard in the treatment of schizophrenia.

Anxiety in patients with paranoid schizophrenia is usually due to their dellusions and/or hallucinations. It's very different from the type of anxiety people have with panic disorder, general anxienty disorder, ect... and thus require separate treatment.

A benzodiazpine might be appropriate if anxiety remains once the delusions and/or hallucations are under control. Ativan would probably be a doctors first choice though, not Valium.

There is also a possbility that benzodiazpines could make the dellusions and/or hallucinations worse, in which case they would probably not be effective in treating your anxiety.

10. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o Male from The Netherlands
    Valium has been the no. 1 prescribed downer for a long time. But the EU medicine advise board has decided long ago that there is no real reason what so ever to prescribe it anymore. For any disease it has been prescribed in the past, there have been much better meds for a long time now. The only reason to prescribe valium, is because of the 'trust' people have in this famous med. The last I read about it is that even Roche, the producer will discontinue the production of their money maker and any valium on the market will be generic.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  11. a4stringedwonder

a4stringedwonder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    If you want a drug that will get you high, simply tell the doc that you experience the symptoms that the drug is prescribed for.

I STRONGLY discourage you from doing this, if you convince your doc that you have such a bad disorder you will make your life a HELL of alot worse.

Although it is still a very stupid thing to do, just get it from a dealer or someone who has it.

the best thing to do would be to forget about it, the effects arent worth the trouble anyway. but you asked for advice so i gave you some.

peace,
    a4stringedwonder