1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Brewing - How to distill poitin

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Decstar, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Decstar

Decstar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    A little leprechaun told me of a traditional Irish illicit spirit called poitin (sometimes spelled 'poteen' or 'potcheen') that was once common in Ireland and is still distilled in some places even today. This little leprechaun didn't know how to actually make poitin and doesn't know anyone who makes it. This little leprechaun has a pot of gold waiting for me at the end of the rainbow if I can find out for him how make it, so that he can well and truely 'drown his shamrock'.

Sláinte!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Sven99

Sven99 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    What is it you need to know? A recipe, or a full description from start to finish? Do you already know how to brew or distil? Do you have any distillation equipment?

3. Decstar

Decstar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    The little leprechaun doesn't know a thing about distilling poitin, except that he thinks it is made with potatoes. He doesn't have any distillation equiptment.

4. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between poitin and potato vodka? FWIW, here's Lizard's recipe for potato vodka.

1. Take a bunch of potatoes
    2. Cut 'em up and boil the hell out of 'em
    3. Cool down below 80C, then add malted grain/amylase to convert the starches to sugar
    4. Cool below 35C, add yeast, pour mixture into a 5-gal carboy and put airlock in place
    5. Let ferment ~5 days until bubbling stops and yeast drops to bottom
    6. Siphon off top 80% and add to still boiler
    7. Distill with sufficient reflux to produce product of >= 85% ABV (170 proof). (If using potstill, distill multiple times...at least 3X...until 170 proof reached).
    8. Toss out first 5% produced, and ~last 1/3 (this varies by taste)
    9. Cut w/ distilled water to taste

(Usually, lizard will get up to 50% of his sugar from sucrose...doesn't have a very big effect on taste, so long as it's at least half potato.)

5. Decstar

Decstar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    My little leprechaun doesn't know. Its probably the same thing except one is Irish and the other is Russian. But my little leprechaun tells me that it is a slightly different flavour, more like rum, and it is very strong.

6. Sven99

Sven99 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    The strength of any spirit is arbitrary depending on how much you distil it and how much you dilute it afterwards.

Poitin just means 'little pot' - you can make it out of almost anything, but i've seen recipes for using potatoes and oats. Nowadays the cheapest and easiest option is sugar, but if you want the traditional taste go for one or the other.

Mashing, brewing and distilling is a complex process. You'd be best doing a search for home distilling information, as there are plenty of good guides out there and I'm not going to explain the entire process from scratch.

7. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Nobody looked at some other sites that claimed to have instructions for this. At least one MB had soemthing that was utter BS, didn't include any distillation, had all sorts of errors in their alcohol content, over all a mess. Just saying, make sure you get more the one recipe.

As for learning to distill, we live in a wonderful time where good information on the subject is easily availible and very well documented. The best site has a message board on it, so it can't be posted, but it's easy to find, and they cover damn near every aspect of the process.

And from further notes on the above
    And for more on using potatoes, the following is quite detailed:

So that should be a damn good start. In order to bring your recipe as close to traditional as possible, it would be best to research the varieties of potatoes grown in Ireland and attempt to secure on of them, especially if you can find an heirloom variety, sure it may take a season to grow them but if you want it to be accurate...

Now nobody's wondering if there strain that was wiped out during the famine is still around anywhere, that would be awesome to be growing again.