1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

How to go cold turkey from up to 150mg's of methadone! The easy way.

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by oggy, May 1, 2008.

1. chestter

chestter Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i posted my story in the intro, but i had a dream about my old dead dog to make a long story shorter, he quit methadone ct from a split dose of 92mg....although the week before quitting he took 120 a day but took 14 days in 7 days then took 3 days the first couple and spread the last 4 days out over 4 days.
    now on day 6. had pain sneezing insomnia, etc during the taper before quitting and the first day or 2 then pain gone. had fevers;chells insomnia since. no rls, no more pain, but...he took benadryl with his methadone...150 mg with every dose.

prior to ct quitting, was taking 2 a day for several months. but prior to that was taking 4 days on, 3 days off (ran out) has been taking 150 each dose for 3 yrs. the 3 days off, day 3 always had severe rls, pain, anxiety but continued benadryl ...this time, quit benadryl too.
    does anyone know what to expect? its day 6 or 8 who knows and i do sleep a f ew hours a night although not deeply. i have hypothyroidism, was that from methdone? i also had gastric bypass 5 yrs ago.

been on methadone for 5 yrs. preceded by a 2 month symptom free ct jump from 90 after 6 months. is there a chance i may not have as long a go, will it get worse before it gets better?should i take thyroid?
    i have no medical insurance so.. no med care. how can i sleep? should i give up? my life was far from stable thats why i quit. the benadryl mede the methadone make me high so i was living formmy doses...in a severe addictive state. in us---i know the dream fell off, but its all good.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  2. &rew

&rew

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    my way to detox from 250mg (500mg) methadone a day and staying functional, walk for work, having social life, visit daughter on weekend and so. Ok, from 500mg of supportive dose that's not so functional and that's pretty hard at least on first 2-3 days on a first iteration but this way still could be used. Now SWIM not that stupid to rise his dose that high. Actually SWIM not rises dose higher then 1g a week but with speed 1g per 4 days it worked too. 250mg is supportive dose, means he could use 500mg without problem if someone give it to him but he also might feels pretty well if he haven't redose one day.

All that written are wrong it won't work for you. Stop reading this post right now. This is a lie.

Yes, it is stairs way. Jumps from methadone to heroin and back. Dumping dose during heroin stage and stabilizing condition during methadone stage.

First jump to heroin is hardest one and most dangerous. First dangerous is quality of heroin, it might take some time to search and f**k dealers brains before I could get heroin cutted on acceptable level. Second problem is heroin again. Any heroin has acetylcodeine. While usual user starts from low doses of heroin and slow rise it, body slow adopts to increasing doses of 6-MAC. Trying to detox one have to start at high doses so it might be a problem, real problem, even death 'cause of strong allergic reaction.

So SWIM usual spends some time searching for acceptable source of heroin. Usual he gets some 0.25g packs of different kind, skips his daily dose and checks heroin at night. Shot... something during rush (there should be a buzz just during rush that's already good)... During rush and after SWIM searches for any allergic reaction like needles pining all over the skin (this pining needles at 2-3g annoying a lot, at least annoying but usual it worse). Check injection spot for red skin, small bubbles covered the skin around pin spot and upper on the vein path. Anything unusual is a sign of search for some more sources.

Ok, I found source, even 0.5g ain't gives any unpleasant reaction. BTW, during tryouts SWIM already rises a bit resistance to a MAC. Time to start, skip second and third day dose, feels sick. On third day SWIM starts slow treatment... first it is 1g and slowly increases dose 'cos of same reaction to MAC, antihistamines are very helpful here, besides antihistamines increases the buzz and getting a bit higher so periods between injection could be increased. First SWIM have to shot each 1-2 hours, then he slows down. Yes, I feel WDs but that's controllable WDs like delay next shot for 30 mins. Pretty soon he stabilizes on 5g a day: 1g -- 7 hours -- 1g -- 7 hours -- 1g -- 7 hours -- 2g -- sleep and new day comes. It takes around 30-40g and a week. During this week SWIM keeps working and living, accept for those few mins/hours before next shot.

After tapering to 5g a day I go for more relaxing 100-150g of methadone a day splat for two uses (morning/night). A couple weeks on methadone. And last iteration on heroin. SWIM tapers down to 1g a day, spend a month on heroin letting methadone to leave his system. And detoxes from heroin using methadone. At this point 50-100 mg of methadone over all is more then enough to detox without problem. Only on 6th 7th day after last methadone dose I feel uncomfortable. Then PAWS but lyrica fixes it at least during 10 days. 10 days after I go for drugs test that he has to pass each 6 months along with other medical checks like other guys who works with SWIM on same position. Thanks that this is only common two lines test.

With 500mg it worked too only heroin dose required correction, but it was hard, really hard mostly cos of this MAC, even antihistamines not helped. Also it required one more iteration. Sometimes finding normal heroin takes months you won't believe how much shit people shot on streets like one shot and vein blocked... how sweet, nice heroin. Any heroin has MAC but some more and some less. I found azerbajanian one are pretty clean of MAC but, if he got it right, that was a guy who grown it on his plant and gone to a city to sell it during winter.

3. missparkles

missparkles If you like crazy you've come to the right place. Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    ^^^I'm sorry love, but after reading all of that I wonder how anyone could have the time to quit with all of the work that would go into your idea of detox? Even though you might be able to source a potent form of heroin, you never know just how potent it is, so in one dose you may get a pure shot, the next day the heroin you're using might be quite weak by comparison. You see the reason methadone is so great as a form of opiate replacement, is because you always know just how much you've taken. 100mgs is 100mgs every single time.

And I find it hard to see how anyone could continue to function and work when they not only have to run their ass off making sure they get some good heroin (how you determine how good it is in comparison to methadone I don't know) then they have to work out how much to take, and redose every couple of hours. I think guessing just how much heroin to take can allow for you to take more than you really need, simply because you wouldn't take less than you need and be sick, so you would naturally over estimate your need. How can you work when you've used too much?

Another reason methadone is such a good way to get off of heroin is because it takes you out of the junky lifestyle, takes you away from the dealers, the other addicts, from that shady kinda existence. You see it's all about breaking habits, unhealthy habits, and while you're still scoring on the street you're maintaining those old using habits aren't you? The time it takes to reduce your methadone dose is also perfect in as much as it gives you time to begin dealing with any issues you might have that contributed to your addiction, or any that you accumulated whilst you were addicted.

The bottom line is methadone enables you to get out of the lifestyle that you have to inhabit to maintain an addiction, it also allows you to set up a healthy lifestyle routine, and time to gradually cut all of your old ties to that way of living and set up more healthy routines that will help you to maintain your recovery. You don't get addicted in a week/month, it's something that evolves, that you almost grow into. So it figures that you can't just drop it all in weeks/months, it's something that you have to grow out of. Methadone is not a quick fix, and if you try to use it as one the chances are that you'll relapse, simply cuz you haven't changed the addicted mindset for one that can support you when you're not using.

You know it is possible to quit methadone without too much pain, and the way it's done is to use subutex/suboxone at the very end of the detox.

Sparkles:vibes:

4. &rew

&rew

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    That's not an idea, that's a working plan realized few times. To be honest SWIM never met any unsolvable problem on getting normal heroin. He always come to detox prepared. Preparation takes some time but he is not starting detox before he gets ready. What do you mean by "you never know just how potent it is"? Usual all shots from the same bag has predictable potency. As soon I found good quality he just buy 6-8 bags with 5g in each. And if any tragic incident happen and couple of bags doesn't looks like from same big package he just exchanges it. This is the deal: "I need 7 bags of same heroin you sold me yesterday" and dealer sells it. To be honest, I don't know how to explain it simpler. Quality may vary but in very short interval when buying all at once.

I think, I've answered those questions above nobody running or searching. SWIM don't need to know exact potency ratio of methadone and heroin he uses. As soon as he starts taking heroin he no longer reminds about methadone at least during current iteration, so ratio only matters on first heroin use. Then he forgets about methadone and uses heroin only to fix sickness and only potency of heroin matter from that point.

I think I'm almost imaging person to who you talking above. But what about imaging another person. Don't know, for example, person about who SWIM heard once. That guy addicted for some years. He had a period when he was without money scamming and hustling for dope, pretty long period. He had long period when he reached really good source.

With this source he was second man who touches heroin just arrived into his country. This source was some kind of spy game but this game had a very good output. He kept an half of things that going through his hands as a reward for helping and people who asked him for help was happy. They was so happy that they had some pushers in different locations of city and those pushers push it away without a problem even when price becomes increased 10 times.

So happy that it still pushes without problems even when pusher doubles price and cuts it 2-5 times. However those times (junkie's hell and junkie's heaven) are far away, seems like in previous life. Now that non existent guy don't have to hustle and live the life you call junkie life. He still has "warm" relationships with "owners" of pushers who remembers how nice he was with them in the past (just x2 was really nice percent back to those day).

So he has no problem with getting fair heroin for a reasonable price. Maybe that's why he has no obsession about opiates destroying his life. Actually he thinks that society destroys junkie's life a way more than junkie do on his own. Besides, he lives in a country where methadone are illegal just like heroin: methadone are forbidden for any use (medical, research, any).

So his mind also free of pink dreams about methadone is some kind of miracle salvation that helps junkie to get up from the bottom of society, it only might help to get into prison (3-7 years in case of >100mg found) here. So methadone for this guy not a quick fix it is a cruel truth of his life. But along with all this problems he still chooses methadone. And heroin is just the tool he uses to detox from methadone fast. Ok, heroin also a bit of fun sometimes.

"Addicted mindset" what a hell is that? Ain't it when addicted one pays too much attention to his addiction, spends his life and energy on fighting with something that he imaging or even something that someone else told to him, harming himself mentally: "omg-omg, I felt again, I'm wick, sick and ugly". Yes there is a problem but in case solution of problem will bring worse problems I would prefer at least to think again is this problem really should be solved right here and right now. I know what is waiting for him on the other side of cold turkey and what will be a price of it.

Overall, opiate addiction is a chronic pain with falls and remissions. Sometimes a single remission ends with death, natural death I mean, sometime remission ends 1 month after start or 1 year, or 15 years or 2 hours. I takes all this a way easier.

yeah, but tapping down before jump to sub takes too long.

5. missparkles

missparkles If you like crazy you've come to the right place. Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Look &drew, it seems like there's not much I can add to what you already know, whatever I have tried to add seems to have been totally unwanted. Lastly I'd just like to add that a lot of people (including myself) have tapered down before jumping on the buprenorphine to finish their detox. Again apologies for not being able to add anything that was of any help to you, that was not my intention, obviously.

Sparkles.:vibes:

6. Sinead67

Sinead67 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Courtorders,showing 'willingness for help' to get kids back,only option made available by addictionteams,desperation etc etc...
    It's not always by choice someone goes (back)on methadone (or suboxone),I certainly didn't.

7. ladiwolf

ladiwolf Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    thank you so much for all the useful info. I am tapering at 20mgs a week from 130 (was at 195 for long time) everyday I remind myself that mmt is a money making industry and many of the wd horror stories come from that industry. I pay attention to my body only I do not play into the hype of the torch ering wd hell All I know is what i am feeling and today so far is a good day. I wil get some supplements, I feel what Oggy is saying, and I do believe in the benzos for which I am prescribed. Did methadone save my life? probably but I am now ready to be free from it's ungodly prison. I say trust in yourself and your body and minds ability to handle what comes up after all we are addicts and most of us have been through the shit, we are pretty tough. Peace out and God bless you on your journey

8. lloydsLSD

lloydsLSD Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from U.K.
    Speaking from experience, for me methadone DOES NOT stop you from feeling the heroin. It did seem to stop me feeling much at first but not for very long, and this could have been due to either rubbish H or my body getting used to the methadone. If you are on methadone and regularly using H then you will just be increasing your tolerance, meaning H withdrawals when you don't use heroin. These aren't nearly as bad withdrawals due to using the meth, but they still occur.

Physeptone IS methadone. On the bottle I get it's called physeptone/methadone.

9. lesley

lesley Newbie

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    Hi Bogus
    Thank you for all your very usefull info. Im on 80mgs and intend to come off when I can take holidays from work, and go by youe method.

I don 3-4 detox so I KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT
    i WANTED TO ASK, IF I SWITCHED ON TO HEROIN FOR 4 WEEKS RO GET THE METHADONE OUT MY SYSTEM, WOULD YOUR SYSTEM BE THE EXACT SAME IN ORER TO GET CLEAN OR IS THIS STRICTLY FOR METHADONE???

tHANKS AGAIN

lESLEY

lesley added 993 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Great stufff Bogus, and I want to, and will try this, but Im unsure of where to get clonodine and intravenas nutrion?

Can you help??
    Lesley

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  10. lesley

lesley Newbie

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    Thank you or your informastion
    Can you PLWASE tell me any information about how to get my hands on or a known practitioner in the UK, that I can go and see to have this donePLEASSE?????

11. lloydsLSD

lloydsLSD Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from U.K.
    If you are talking to me, I went to my doctors and he arranged it all for me. I would do the same if I were you or look for drug and alcohol treatments centers in the phone book/online and go visit them.

I wanted to edit my post because I am only on 40ml methadone, and that is the reason the meth doesn't block the effects of heroin for me, if I ever use, which is very rare. I have read on here that doses over 40ml DO block the buzz you get from taking heroin and so I was wrong to say that meth doesn't block.

12. Sinead67

Sinead67 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thank you for this very useful information, as the only way I've ever came off methadone is by tapering,
    and always in the safety of an in-patient clinic.
    The problem being, this place is a crisiscenter, and is a 21-day stay only, so by the time you've done your detox and starting to feel the full effects (I should speak for myself, as this is my experience) by the time you've finished your tapering-detox, it's just about time to get chucked back out on the street.
    I find tapering only prolongs the agony, and every time I've done a heroin-detox cold turkey, I've never
    left the place I was (usually a friends house or even my own place), as I was simply to ill to move.
    The problem doing this with a methadone detox, cold turkey, would be I'd need someone to look after me as I know from experience I'd be too weak and sick to go and get fresh food or go out at all..
    So thanks for the above post, I could start stocking up on things that keep, and start preparing my body and mind for coming off my methadone cold turkey, and hopefully be able to do it at a friend's house or somewhere where there's someone to a) keep me company and b) help me with basic needs such as fresh food etc.
    Thanks again for this very useful and informative post.

13. tinmann

tinmann Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    There is no need for anyone to be on 140ml no matter how big your habit is. It must of been over prescribed or just junkie mentality, as in i need more drugs.

I have been on and off heroin for almost 17 years. 2 rehabs, detox 5, 3 in hospital detox's, many failed home detox's, subutex, methadone, cold turkey, lofexadine, df118's, etc.

I am recently clean again and just reduced from my methadone over about 5 months constantly dropping each week. I didn't use on top. I was on 65ml. I did 5mls a week at first. (in a 2-3 week hospital detox i dropped 5ml a day so thought i can do 5ml a week) Then when i got down to 20ish i slowed the drop. Then when i got to 10 ml i would pour out 25ml of water and pour the meth in there so then the water would gradually get less greener but i wouldn't be putting a pathetic amount of meth in my mouth. Then slowed it to 2ml a week, 1 ml a week. I was on 1 ml for a week this was when i had leg aches for a couple of days nothing bad though and then you body gets used to it. Then i had 0.5 ml of meth, nothing. I had this for a couple of days then stopped. I can honestly say it has been the easiest cold turkey i have done in my life. I had leg aches, and sneezes, but i ate and slept pretty well considering. Because i had been on such a low dose when i had a piss test at the drug place i was almost negative for meth there was a faint line. I could never do this before and i would always use, but this time i was determined and pretty hopeful i won't take that shit again.

tinmann added 3 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

It was a very helpful post good stuff. Though anyone who thinks they can come off 140 ml and be fine is pretty deluded. You wouldn't be able to pay me to do that.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  14. missparkles

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I was on 150 mls of methadone when I started my access course in college, so I certainly wasn't over medicated to the point that I couldn't do anything. I gradually reduced over the course of the following year as I wanted to be clean when I'd finished the access diploma, and carry on studying at university for a degree. As I reduced the methadone I was seeing a drug councilor and a psychologist to deal with the remaining issues, the ones that I hadn't dealt with whilst I was in rehab. I had a few "can't do" problems that needed to be turned around so that they became "can do" and were no longer issues. I certainly didn't have that "junkie mentality" that was just in it just for "more drugs," no way. I don't think you can differentiate between someone that needs a large dose of methadone or a smaller one. Some could say, especially someone who had a huge habit but is managing on 35mls of methadone that an addict on more than 60 mls is just in it for the drugs. And they'd be wrong wouldn't they?

I would just like to finish by saying "Well done Tinmann, for getting clean." That takes a lot of courage and determination. Anyone who can do that deserves my respect, and you have it. :thumbsup:

Sparkles. :vibes:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  15. Mrs.Stitches

Mrs.Stitches Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    2013....Thank You for your information. I admire you more than you'll ever know. I hope you are well, as I feel I know you....I've come to the end of my methadone withdrawal journey....& I attribute it to your monograph. Oh, I had Dr.'s & a Counselor....certainly....however your sincere approach started & ended my Journey. Have a wonderful Life....................

16. halfmylife007

halfmylife007 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Hi ladiwolf, id been on methadone for about 14 years as well as benzos, heroin, crack, weed, you name it.
    I,m gonna tell you how i did it. I used benzos and weed for the first 10 days then nothing. this is what i needed to get through it... MUSIC is massive, you must have real friends or family to support you, N/a is bollocks as the whole meeting starts hi my name is ........ and im an addict, no im not and i don't need reminders, you have to put it behind you.
    I feel better every day, i don't drink, smoke weed, i don't even take a paracetamol.
    This is what I do do, i help others who are generally trying, i exercise, i use the gym(this must be done slowly for obvious reasons) saunas and massages are essential as are vitamins and a half decent diet(no need to become a jamie oliver) a positive mentality And finally WATER WATER WATER WATER!!!.
    please feel free to get back to me if you want to chat.

halfmylife007 added 13 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

I used heroin for 10 days with no meth and i know for a fact it was easier, as a friend did it cold and he went through absolute hell. it gets better every day and i promise you it is possible. ive not had a day straight day since i was 16, im know nearly 36. i did every drug you could think of and now im completley clean, no weed, drink, not even a paracetamol.
    positive mindset, good support, excersise, saunas, swimming, decent diet and get involved and keep busy.
    And finally WATER WATER WATER WATER and more WATER.
    Please feel free to chat with me if you want some more info.

halfmylife007 added 1 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

I forgot to mention i was on meth for 14 years.

halfmylife007 added 2 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

check out my story below you.
    halfmylife007.

halfmylife007 added 0 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

check out my story below you.
    halfmylife007.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  17. vvanco702

vvanco702 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    god, I just posted a similar question about no appetite. I went to that rapid opiate detox cuz I was on methodone for 6 months on 150mg I was.beggin them to lower my dose, my councelor keeps on saying.thats my disease messing with my mind. I am not stayin there all my life. I gotta go to europe in the summer. so whoever is.looking.for.an easy.way of methadone and you have $10,000 to spear its worth it. im off day seven off methadone now I have no wds just no appetite and diarrhea still but its nothing like quittin cold turkey. I hope I gai. some weight, gotta go back to work in a week.

18. MadOne

MadOne Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    You make a good point there on how i feel methadone should be used as i felt for maintanance with the right dose it could be given every 48 hours - 72 hours because when i used to drink about 6x120mg 720mg worth in one go it can give a rewarding one off high for around 24 - 36 hours then still it used to hold me for another 5 days anyway but i suppose every one is different !!!

19. RedMonkey

RedMonkey Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Methadone is not hard to quit. Peoples make it sound like methadone is one of the worst drug to get off but I don't see any difference vs another who might be taking oxy's everyday for pain management. I was on methadone for over 4 years. I was able to taper down to 10mg very slowly and switched to immodium pills(lopermide). It worked wonders. I used 30-49mg for the first week than switched to kratom and I was able to get off 4 years of methadone completely Withdrawals free. I think the biggest problem is not getting off the meth but the mental state after we pass the physical part of it. I believe some of us need some Withdrawals suffering to a degree to realize not to ever go back to opiate. Paying 10k to get through Withdrawals is worst than the methadone clinics itself.

20. missparkles

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I think that due to the fact that some people try to quit methadone and at that particular time they're not quite ready to do so is what feeds this myth that "It's difficult, almost impossible, to quit methadone." No, I didn't think it was difficult to do either, but then I had planned it, down to the very last detail, I'd used mistakes made in the past to try to anticipate any problems that might occur during my reduction, and attempted to put some safety nets in place to catch me if I felt I was gonna fall. The only difference between heroin and methadone Withdrawals is that a methadone Withdrawals would take longer, obviously, but the rest was the same as heroin WD. The feelings were the same, the physical symptoms were the same, the very same problems would crop up, and the solution to those problems would be exactly the same.

I think that due to the longer it takes to reduce if you're using methadone is where the problems occur, cuz it does take a lot of effort and determination to stay positive for the length of time it takes to quit. That's where planning and anticipating problems comes into it. Its extremely easy to go off the boil and get fed up and bored with the time that it takes to get off of methadone totally. That's why I think that it's extremely important to have something to focus on whilst quitting. You see if you're just sat at home thinking about just how long this "bloody detox" is taking, you're gonna find it harder and harder as the days and months go by, anybody would. You need a goal to concentrate on, something that motivates you to continue.

I also think that if anyone doing a methadone detox doesn't manage to get to the end, of course they're going to say how hard it was, after all they wouldn't tell anyone how easy it was, cuz they wouldn't have stopped reducing if it was so bloody easy, would they? And by saying how difficult it was makes them feel a little less guilty about what they see as a failure on their part. They certainly shouldn't feel guilty or feel as if they've failed. Basically it just wasn't the right time for them, that's all. So I do think that this is why this idea about how difficult a methadone detox is, has sprung up and continues to be believed. Just my own opinion here, nothing more.

Sparkles. :vibes: