How to go cold turkey from up to 150mg's of methadone! The easy way.

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by oggy, May 1, 2008.

1. NoMoreH

NoMoreH Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: How to go cold turkey from 150mg's of methadone! The easy way.

Thank you Oggy for your VERY informative post. I would just like to clarify you are referring to the 1ml/1mg strength in your original post and not the stronger 10mg/1ml thats common in the states. My friend was able to grab a 500ml of the green liquid from the UK and wants to make sure he is following your method correctly.

2. Mr Bumble

Mr Bumble Grumpy Gorilla Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from UK
    I'm sorry but i'm struggling to believe anyone can go cold turkey from 150mg of methadone on this regime without having extreme, painful and drawn out withdrawels.

Any proof to back up your claimes?

Mr Bumble added 356 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

I agree that a properly planned detox is probably better than a long tapper, anyone reading my thread will know that that is what I have done. But I used a hell of a lot of meds to get through it and I just don't buy the original posters, oh take these supplements and it wont be bad. the dose of clonidine he suggests is way to low, anyone with a large habit would have no effect off 0.1mg in the worst of there WD's. I was taken up to 0.3mg 4 to five times a day and this guy reckon 3 times. Well I'm sorry all these supplements may help but I've been a heroin/morphine/methadone/subutex addict for the last 17 years, I've tried every detox under the sun and the only one that has ever really worked is high dose's of clonidine. benzos and gabapentine.

I've heard very good things about Ibogaine but i would never reccomend anyone trying to jump from 150mgs of methadone on this guys regime of suplements and low dose of Clonidine. I really suprised how many people are digging this stuff. Seriously guys, 150mls of meth on that, you'd end up in hospital.

Yes maybe his supplement regime added to a properly medicated detox would help but don't buy into this quick easy fix.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. GreyGoo

GreyGoo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.K.
    I too think this is highly unlikely, this is just my point of view though and I'm no medical expert but I'm not nieve to how it all works. 150mgs is a very high dose, I was never that high but I've met a lot of users that have been at it way longer than me ie 20 - 30 years and even when I've been waiting around in addiction services you hear about them struggling coming down even 10 - 5 ml. Somebody that would be willing to do this in my eyes would have to be highly motivated and would need a team of people to be administering the supplements at the right times however here in Scotland I would seriously doubt that any medical professional would be willing to let somebody do this under there supervision, the risks are just too high, physical withdrawals are one thing (and yes it can be done) but to be on 150ml which again is a HIGH dose I would have have to say you are just not psychologically ready for that kind of trauma before you were willing to go through some kind of taper.

I am in no way denouncing the OP because I do see the value in the information he/she has provided particularly for a planned withdrawal process on a more manageable dose, and I would certainly be taking heed of the information if I were a reader that suddenly got struck of there script and a taper plan weren't an option but again in Scotland I know if they were to strike you off at that high a dose they would be obliged to give you at least a short quick taper. I don't doubt it can be done, I do doubt it can be done safely or without a significant chance of relapse.

4. missparkles

missparkles If you like crazy you've come to the right place. Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    So what are you saying, that you don't believe that I reduced from 150 mls/mgs of methadone to nothing, in a year? And what is a slow taper but a reduction over a long period of time? I don't understand.

Sparkles. :vibes:

5. Mr Bumble

Mr Bumble Grumpy Gorilla Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from UK
    No miss sparkles think you've misunderstood us, anyone can reduce over a year if they want to, the OP is syaing, "Hey just take these supplements and you can go cold turkey off 150mgs tomorrow"

6. GreyGoo

GreyGoo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.K.
    Reducing from 150ml to nothing in a year is massively different from abruptly coming off at 150ml. And congratualtions on coming off it. :)

7. missparkles

missparkles If you like crazy you've come to the right place. Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thank you for clarifying that sweetheart, I appreciate it. For the record you can't just take supplements, whatever supplements you take at any kind of dose, and just stop taking methadone, you would suffer badly for weeks if not months.

8. Anzax

Anzax Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia

How did you get them to prescribe you physeptone? Normally it's not given to addicts as the pills can be easily dissolved and used intravenously, also I applaud what you have achieved but know that would be impossible for me as I've had a habit on and off for a long time, in fact the only reason I've got a habit now is because I was diagnosed with cancer after taking 3 months to withdraw from bupe and was told I had to take morphine to kill the pain and get sleep otherwise I could die as my body was shutting down, thank god I beat the cancer but I received another habit this time from the oxy they prescribed, even though I promised myself never again, but I was basically told to take morphine or die, pretty much the only circumstance I would take it again. In relation to the above thread I don't agree that tapering can't help, but overall I agree with what he says although what he says is needed is hardly attainable for me or most people I've met on opiates, unless they were rich and able to get into and pay for an expensive detox, but even then I'd lose my job and this is the main issue, who has the time to take in my case 3 months of from life? I did it a year ago while I was in between jobs and my partner supported me, but I can't see us being able to afford that again any time in the near future, not to mention getting the supplies and trying to arrange emotional support from family members or friends (yeah right). Also I'll forever be worried that trauma caused from withdrawal will unlock my cancer again like it did last time. So for those of you that can afford and arrange these things or are lucky enough to get physeptone and magically have the withdrawals dissapeAr appreciate what you've got make the most of it, because a lot of us couldn't even afford Internet to come on hear to find out these cures let alone provide the items needed for these cures/less traumatic withdrawals, good luck all and don't come back.

9. Ken3

Ken3 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS POST!!! Esp. the 1st few paragraphs & the part referring to the privatization of most clinics. I consider myself to be a very well educated person. Nice home, nice family, etc & even I was taken in & manipulated by these money hungry, unethical establishments. I have been using for 17 yrs (started at age 15). Ive used most everything at least once except crack & heroin, but Lortabs, Percs, etc have always been my 1st true love. I've had 3 periods of sobriety & my last relapse led me to MMT. I had been clean for almost 4 yrs & went on an extended binge, close to a year. I was actually ready to kick it again & found out that I was pregnant. My hubby & I had tried & tried prior to my binge & were finally told that it may not happen. Of course the news was bitter sweet. My Ob-gyn didn't want me to risk it w withdrawal & referred me to MMT. I was told it was safe & common. I really had no choice. I had to do what was best for my child & In my state having a new born test positive for drugs not Rx is a guaranteed 5 yrs in state prison. I already had the motivation to quit & my sons health was my #1; so, I had decided that I would keep my dose as low as humanly possible & kick it as soon as he was born. I went to the clinic & expressed my desires & was told I was crazy. I was not. I kept my dose @ 15mgs per day until my lady trimester. I blew up in weight & was metabolizing it too fast & had to increase to 25 mgs. I did not feel great at these low doses at 1st, but I was not in w/d & I was able to live my life. My son was born & tested negative for methadone, had no w/d symptoms, was well above average birth weight...he was the picture of health. I had achieved my goals for him, now time to take care of me. I went bk to the clinic after my hospital discharge told them to put me back at 15 mgs...I was about 50lbs lighter & they refused. I raised hell daily, I never had a dirty test & yet they still refused. When I finally got my way only bc I started leaving part of my dose in the cup they gave in somewhat. It infuriated me that ppl would ask for dose increases & got a pat on the back...I asked for a decrease & they treated me like scum. I finally said screw it & took matters into my own hands & was able to drop from 20 to 10 mgs in less than 2 months. All you are at a MMT clinic is a $$$... Period. Your recovery does not support their bottom line & their bottom line is more important than your well being. Facilities such as MMT clinic exploit addicts & profit off of the addicts misery telling the addict that it's ok to accept mind altering meds as a part of life. They allow higher than therapeutic doses further trapping the addict. MMT was intended as a transition drug ... A step bt active illicit drug use & sobriety then all American consumerism took over & maintenance became the name of the game. It sickens me that this is accepted not only by our governing bodies, but by so many addicts. I don't know about you, but THE EXPLOITATION OF ADDICTS JUST LIKE ME REALLY CHAPS MY ASS!!!

1. 3/5,
      Please use paragraphs to break up big blocks of text, this is difficult to read and many people wont bother. Thanks
      Mar 22, 2014
    2. 3/5,
      please use paragraphing also this post has nothing to do with the thread title, its about how to reduce methadone not about clinics.
      Mar 22, 2014
  10. looper_one

looper_one Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from ghana
    you dont even realise how wrong you are. If you consider methadone, do detox straight away before you get addicted to it. Trust me, been there, done that. I was saying exactly the same thing what you say right now 3 years ago. Now i want to go back on h just to get rid of Meth from my body. Methadone is good if you use it to detox yourself from h within a 10 days period. Anything above that and you are hooked on much more nasty shit then h. I think the most important thing is to relocate for good to another town.

11. boston103

boston103 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    First, someone said earlier that 450 mgs was a mistake....I know of a few people that have been on that high of a dose....400+ on a single dose up to 1000 mgs on a 3 way split(i know its ridiculous) Anyways I have kicked 265mg with a 110mg split cold turkey when they got locked up, and it was rough. Weird thing bout 'done is the first 10 days they weren't even sick and then it starting getting worse! 3rd wk even worse! I know it has a long half life, but its crazy that you can literally feel WORSE 3 wks later. So...I love the article, a lot of good info on vitamins that are key to not only limit withdrawal, but are key to fixing your body(esp if you are older and have been on clinic for awhile). Its crazy that most of the clinics and docs know nothing about just how important vitamins are when coming off. However, I HIGHLY disagree that quitting cold turkey is the way to go unless you have no other option. You are WAY more likely to relapse that way and will be right back where you started, trust SWIM. Don't rush it, its quicker in the long run to take your time and do it right, especially if you havent been down this road before. As for the vitamins, I had aproblem with a vitamin D deficiency when tapering off 120 mgs...his vitamin D level was a 5! (supposed to be 30-80). He was then given 50,000 unit mega dose vitamin D3 to take once a wk that caused all sorts of side effects because apparently taking that much vit D while coming off methadone effects your magnesium levels, which then caused a magnesium deficiency, which created even worse side effects(headaches,flushing of face, heart palpitations, anxiety, muscle cramps). This is why SWIM highly advises doing your own homework like this site because SWIM's doctor mentioned nothing bout magnesium when prescribing the D3 megadoses despite knowing the 'done situation. The key words in this article are body, mind, spirit...if you don't address all 3 you are gonna be a lot worse off. If you are truly sick and tired of the life, Get active, eat right, take the right vitamins and minerals, and stay positive. You will be straight. Just remember, you cant walk into the woods for 10yrs and get out in a couple weeks. Stay patient, and do it the right way! gl!

1. 4/5,
      I loved this positive post and the analogy about "walking in the woods."
      Nov 20, 2014
    2. May 29, 2014
  12. FightingDownfall

FightingDownfall Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from U.S.A.
    Ok, I've gone cold-turkey through sheer will alone after roughly 7 years and 30 grand pumped into that hell hole. My question is this, I am on roughly 3 and a half weeks and I still feel like dog crap. I know this is expected, by I kind of remedied it a week and a half ago with Gabapentin. How long does it take to get addicted to this stuff? Because I've looked it up and it IS addictive. Is my taking it just extending the withdrawal? Also, I havent been taking the vits and mins because I want to force my body to friggin adapt just as I have mentally to this crap and pull through it. I DO excercise from time to time, although PATHETICALLY short amounts due to the fact that I am in deed a smoker. On the mental side, I occupy my time by both watching TV, Movies, and am also writing a novel about how I got to this point. But thats besides the point, I wanna know about the Gabapentin thing. Thanks!!!

13. missparkles

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    FightingDownfall... yes love, Gabapentin is indeed addictive, but not as addictive as it's bigger sister Pregabalin, so you've been using the less addictive of the two, now that's something to feel good about...right? It does take a little while to feel better after quitting Methadone, but it does happen, I promise you. I found that by having something else to get me out of bed in the morning and keep me motivated was taking a college course which then led to taking a degree class, but that's just me, everyone finds something that as the begin to feel better, they start to obtain things that would be lost if they began to use again. Eventually the positives that you get out of life are too important to you, you can't imagine living without them. It doesn't have to be something huge or substantial, it's up to you, love. But the longer you stay clean the more being drug free will matter to you and a drug using lifestyle will seem more and more unfamiliar. Is there anything that you can think of that you enjoy doing that you'd be able to do now?

Of course it's also extremely important that you talk to people, offload all of that negativity going around in your head, that little voice that's telling you that you still wanna use. We all get it, it's a bastard. Have you got anyone that you feel safe to talk with in real life, friends or family? I've always managed to talk to my mum, she listens and knows when I'm feeding her bullshit. Well she knows me almost as well as I know myself, and she is really wise, she can read a person like I read a book. So I've always found that talking to her I get honesty and compassion, but most of all I get wisdom, an awareness that is missing from all other conversations. Well there is one person that I talk to here at DF that is as awesome, with as much awareness as she has, no name mentioned as they know who they are. You're doing so bloody well sweetheart, just being clean for the time that you have is a huge achievement, so don't forget that.

14. joey333

joey333 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from ireland
    am so happy to find this post im on 100mls and plan to just go cold turkey. have been on this nitmare for 8years and have had enough

15. nursemarie

nursemarie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have to say I don't care what you supplement with cold turkey methadone withdrawal is a hell I wouldn't wish on Charles Manson. And if you're not prepared for that you will be in for the surprise of your life. There have been so many days I considered death to be a viable option.

16. missparkles

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I totally agree with NurseMarie on this subject, any WD, regardless of any tapering that you do beforehand, you will still be quite sensitive to physical pain. But I found that the emotional pain that seemed to descend on me from out of nowhere was far more severe. Also the jumping off point, whatever dose you manage to reduce from, was by far much tougher, and as is said "easier said than done." You think to yourself long before you take that last dose "after I take that last dose that will be the end, no more drugs...ever again." And even though you desperately want to be drug free you begin to get a little bit scared, just a little, and this continues to happen with every dose you take until you reach the last few doses.

Of course by this time you have worked yourself into a mental wreck, believing that everything that could go wrong will go wrong. And the fear is like nothing you've experienced before, so much that you begin to look for reasons why you need to continue using methadone, if only at the dose you've managed to taper down to. I believe that the slower the taper the more time you have to worry and stress out about that final dose. I just want to say that all of the ideas and opinions expressed in my post are my own personal views, and as we're all quite different our view will also be quite different.

Thank for reading.

17. Pookanut

Pookanut Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    @ Oggy: I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.. I have used these forums for quite some time, but just made an account to thank you for your contribution. I have never met anyone who cared so much about "druggies" and put in so much effort to help them. I wish more doctors were like you.. and if you're not a doctor - you need to become one. The way you care about the individual, and not just the addressing the 'disease' like an ill informed 'doctor' is absolutely inspirational. The way you say things... IDK.. It just gives me hope in mankind, these forums, as well as people with drug problems achieving their goals and living the newly formed 'clean and sober' life they want so badly. I really hope you log on and see this... If you haven't been told this before - you really need to see this. I will take my leave now and sit back and observe like I usually do, but once again, thank you so much. You don't know how much your knowledge has helped me, but it has guaranteed a positive future for me and with everything I have in me - I wanted to say Thank You. :D Have a great day all of you.

1. 3/5,
      Be careful about the terminology that you use, some might be offended by the word "druggies."
      Feb 11, 2015
  18. phreedomrider

phreedomrider Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yes great stuff... KRATOM SHOULD BE INFUSED ... Relapse is almost always inevitable... Use Kratom when those times come... Amino therapy ... Great.. Dr. David Arneson out of Phoenix AZ,,, his clinic is called the source he is a naturopath and an MD. HE HELPED ME AND MANY FRIENDS SO MUCH.

1. 3/5,
      This makes very little sense, please be clear when postsin.
      Jul 1, 2015
  19. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    Infused with what?

20. hairtrigga

hairtrigga Newbie

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o from Australia

it was my understanding that physeptone is the tablet form of methadone. It is in australia anyhow.