1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Extraction - How to make poppy seed opium

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by Knifey, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Knifey

Knifey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Australia
    SWIM has had great success with making flake opium from poppy seed extract. I thought I would tell you SWIM's process since I haven't seen anything quite like it on this forum (quite so easy).

1. blend 240g jar of poppy seeds in 500-1000ml of water with a mixer-stick (or blender i guess though i find it easier with the stick)

2. Strain off liquid with tshirt/rag

3. Put liquid through filter jug with carbon filter

4. Put liquid in dish for 24 hours. After this the sedement should be caked on the bottom and you should be able to just tip/syphon off most of the liquid without disturbing the stuff caked on the bottom. (put remaining liquid in the fridge, in a sealed container)

5. Put a fan/blow heater blowing onto the dish until its dry (SWIM has a heater going anyway because its winter, you could just wait until it dries without a fan).

6. Scrape flake opium off the bottom of the dish, and put into capsules. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all the liquid is gone. For me this produced so much I could have OD'd (probably a dozen or more hard packed 00 caps).

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    As opiates are only found on the outside of the seed, there's no reason to be blending the seeds. Not blending will also make it FAR easier to filter out the seeds with a fine mesh, the day of the extraction.

3. Knifey

Knifey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Australia
    SWIM didn't have any trouble with potency of the end product and blending them was a sure fire way of giving them a thorough wash. SWIM has done it both ways and prefers to blend as it is a quicker process overall as it has more sediment so you can tip off and dry the sludge without having to evap the whole batch.

Knifey added 5 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

SWIM would actually go so far as to say you can't give them a thorough wash without blending them. SWIM gets more morphine out of the seeds garunteed every time. But SWIM is a cheap bastard and wants to get the most morphine out of the poppy seeds he can regardless of diluting the end product. So you can make up your mind which you prefer.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  4. swimmie

swimmie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    Swim heard that only certain poppy seeds work for this extraction and seeds caught from the grocery store wouldn't work. What seeds would be recommended?

5. Potter

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Not entirely true. It is a bit of a trial and error process to find seeds that work, as there's not exactly that many national brands. The only brand I've seen any recommendations for is Bob's Red Mill, an organic brand that comes in 1/2 pound sacks. For the past few years I've found them to be VERY consistent, a 1/2 pound should be a decent starting dose with that brand.

Don't even think about McCormicks, at the same price per OUNCE as a sack of Bob's, you could go buy real fancy drugs for what it would cost to get a dose.

6. DriftAway

DriftAway Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I thought blending would be bad because the white stuff in the seeds can cause nausea and other such unwanted symptoms. Do you have a special blender that doesn't "break" the seeds open? Do you just break the seeds anyway, how does that affect the high?

7. Potter

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    no you don't blend it. Put them in cold water and shake, with your hands. The opium is on the outside of the seeds. Trust me on this, all you get out f the inside are fats that are gross and hell to remove from the liquid.

8. psychedelia

psychedelia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    My friend has always wanted to try a method like this using poppy seeds since pods aren't available to him. He was thinking of doing something like this. SWIY says they got 12 capsules out of 240g of seeds... how many capsules does SWIY take for a dose?

9. Potter

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Who knows? I'm sorry but a "capsule" is hardly a standard unit of measurement. Anyways we don't know how strong the seeds were, what the process was, or any other details of the experiment.

Look, drugs aren't something for people who aren't willing to take some risk. If you are going to embark on weird chemistry experiemnts, you should understand how experiemnts work before doing them. You have an unknown substance made by an unknown process, from an unknown starting point.

What do you do? You try a tiny amount and see what happens, if it's not a lot, then you try some more. You try it cautiously so as not to end up dead. You take a risk that maybe it won't be effective but that's OK because you'll be alive and you can always take more another day.

No one here can help you determine how much to take.

10. misskatie

misskatie Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    AFOAF is also very interested in trying this as it sounds a little simpler than the other method for flake opium described on the forum, she may have found a site that sells pods, obviously not to be named here, but she wants to have a go with seeds first as its cheaper and she can gauge it against her usual dihydrocodiene to decide if its worth pursuing.

Sorry to sound like a noob but AFOAF would like to know what a carbon filter is? And would coffee filters work instead?

11. psychedelia

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, Potter. My friend knows to always start small, he was just wondering how many doses SWIKnifey gets from this procedure. Of course, yields can vary, my friend was just trying to gauge the cost effectiveness of the procedure.

@misskatie, a carbon filter removes impurities in water. This would probably only be necessary for purifying the seed water, but I'm not a chemistry expert. A coffee filter, I believe, would just remove larger particles from the water rather than small molecules. I am not sure of the necessity of that step, however.

12. Peezy1200

Peezy1200 Banned

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I think what Potter is trying to say is that there are too many variables to even guesstimate how many doses you'll get. Main factors would be the potency of your product and tolerance...

13. bls1987

bls1987 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o Female from The Netherlands
    well they say on wiki that seeds do contain some alkaloids inside them

14. AusJork

AusJork Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Australia
    You can blend them so long as it isn't breaking up the seeds. You just want to give them the best wash you possibly can, and blending is a good way to go with seeds that have stubborn alkaloids stuck to them hard.

You are right though, you just want to stuff that's on the outside. It depends what kind of blender you use because not all of them destroy the seeds.

For swim, putting them in a bottle with warm/room temp water and shaking is the easiest method, and if the seeds are halfway decent provides a great result. Maybe I'd get 10% extra alkaloids if I blended, but for me it isn't worth it.

15. veritas.socal

veritas.socal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    75 y/o Male from California, U.S.A.
    TIME
    this is a variable often mentioned in chemistry notes, or even simple teks. i skimmed twice and didnt see it.
    how long is the extraction for? swim is going to drink for pain management,not evap... as he normally uses 20-80mg hydrocodone per day, and is 6 days short of refill.(rx is 10mg, po qid)(40mg day)
    so, how long to shake? i think the word MIXER may bee used here instead of blender, ie cake mixer(from the lab, not kitchen, swim is banned from kitchen implements/clean jars, lol). this wont break the seeds up but would thouroughly agetate them. would 3 min agitation, w citric acid or lemon juice added, be gufficient? swim plans on trying 1lb organic shit today(bobs, or bulk, or whatever he can get). his biggest flask is 1l and stirbar 1", so they r both useless here.(maybee a piece of rebar in a hdpe 5gal bucket on mag stirrer, lol?)
    thanks for any tips on time of agitation, sorry for rambling

16. AusJork

AusJork Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Australia
    Let them soak in water while shaking for about 10 minutes maximum. Drain off the water. Then you can repeat the process because some will still be left on the outside of seeds.

17. veritas.socal

veritas.socal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    75 y/o Male from California, U.S.A.
    muchas Garcia. my bro, swim, will try that right now w like 5 1/2 oz bulkbin seeds....and an organic lime. will let ya know if its enuff... swim has had no opiate meds for 5 daze, doesnt see md for 5 daze... pain is high and i guess tolerance is low...and its medicinal dosage needed anywayz
    thanx

18. psychedelia

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    ^^ I don't know if 5 ounces will do much, usually 14 ounces (half a pound) is a starting dose, and SWIY was previously on opiates so it might do even less :x

What exactly is the end product of this extraction? Just really diluted opium gunk? Surely it can't be nice opium, since half a pound of seeds shouldn't produce the amount of opium the OP mentioned...

19. dogcrap22

dogcrap22 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    swim wants to know what you do after shaking the seeds?

20. Potter

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Dogcrap22: learn to read instructions. This is WELL covered in the first post of this thread.