Hydromet Cough Sizzurp

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by botas, Feb 18, 2007.

1. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I recently aquired a bottle of hydromet cough syrup for his cold, and found it contains hydrocodone, homatropine, and maybe guafinesin. SWIM wonders how safe this would be for recreational use considering the homatropine is used to prevent recreational use. Does anyone have any insight for swim's problem?

2. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    This also contains acetaminophen so I would hope SIWY would not use it recreational,even without the acetaminophen guafensin has a nasty habit of making you vomit alot in large doses.I wouldn't use this recreationally.

3. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Absolutely not suitable for recreational use.

4. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    thanks for the help

5. Donmeka

Donmeka Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    actually!!! lol I took maybe a qtr bottle i think 40ml or so. on the scale on the botttle it was at the 40 mark near the top. mixed it with sprite. and just sipped it for a long while and felt pretty good. I had also ingested a 30mg MS Contin as well so that added to the great experience. not really the safest route but I am not in peak physical condition and he didnt notice any side efects at all.

also I know of people who have chugged more and ended up fine. although the dice of luck play its role as well

6. darawk

darawk Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    You can definitely try to use this recreatoinally....The homatropine sounds a little bit scary though, so you should increase your doses slowly.

7. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    hrm. does anyone actually know the exact homatropine content per 5ml in a bottle of hydromet?

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Homatropine hydrobromide is not specifically added to such cough syrups as this - or hycodan - to prevent recreational use. Rather it acts to dry up secretions which may be causing one to cough as they run down the throat. As such it works well, but the anti-cholinergic effects could well preclude it's use as a recreational drug.

Hycodan syrup used to contain (been years) 1.25mg homatropine HBr/5ml.

9. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    and how much is an unhealthy dose of homatropine? um... unhealthy as in causing the experience to become sour?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  10. botas

botas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    bump ^_^

11. hgwell

hgwell Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    bump.. does anyone know the level of homotropine that would make this not so fun as I had aquired a bottle.

12. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A study of the effects of hycodan (same as hydromet, will upload pdf soon) was conducted with doses up to 20mg hydrocodone / 6mg homatropine. The incidence of negative effects increases with dose, but is still comparable to 40mg of morphine in terms of enjoyability and side effects, though dryness of mouth and itchiness may be more prevalent. The maximum recommended daily dose is 30ml of syrup.

Homatropine is an anticholinergic (muscarine agonist), and can have very unpleasant side effects. To give you an idea of how adversely it can affect you, just look over the nightshades forum, which is full of commentary on related substances (anticholinergics / atropines). There may be a way to reduce the anticholinergic effects, but my lab monkey has not found one as of yet. Consumption of hydromet / hycodan should be limited in general (i.e. recreational use can be risky), and one should always start off with small doses and work up to ensure they aren't hypersensitive to the substances involved.

13. sarbanes

sarbanes Newbie

Reputation Points:

right, it has antichol effect (like antihistamine). but in Lomotil such use is to preclude abuse. In Hycodan, ostensibly, it was added, to preclude abuse.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  14. KC27

KC27 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A friend of mine asked me to post the following:

I have received Hydromet over a dozen times for chronic bronchitis. Although, I admit that it was not used entirely to treat my symptoms. I can say with absolute confidence that Hydromet CAN be used recreationally and with very little negative side effects. The buzz is not exactly the same as Hydrocodone due to the fact that the form of of Hydro in Hydromet is actually a semi-synthetic form of Hydrocodone. But it is enjoyable non the less. The Homatropine does tend to make the buzz a little more "heady" than straight Hydro. The prescribed dosage is 1 teaspoon every 4-6 hours. I have taken as much as 4 to 6 teaspoons over a 4 hour period. Granted I have probably built a pretty high tolerance, but from the beginning Hydromet has been quite enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
    1. 3/5,
      Been here too many years to be self incriminating, please read the rules
      Dec 23, 2010
  15. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Actually, it's because it's an extended release form of hydrocodone called hydrocodone polistirex instead of the hydrocodone bitartrate like in vicodin et al. Hydrocodone itself is a semi-synthetic compound. Edit: this is not correct, see below

Hydromet and Hycodan are brand names of hydrocodone/homatropine syrup, 5 mg/1.25 mg per 5mL.

It very much has abuse potential. My friend took 50mL of this stuff once, that 50mg hydrocodone and 15 mg homatropine. It was fucking intense! He was nailed to his bed having all these weird scenes play out in his mind that he could visiualize and control along with auditory and mild visual hallucinations from the atropine but the 100 mg hydrocodone made for an extremely relaxed, comfortable, moderatly euphoric feeling that was just awesome. But this is way too much for most people and was near too much for him. He even had a pretty strong opiate tolerance at the time. He could not get out of bed or anything and had pretty bad dry mouth and slept for about 16 hrs afterward. It also caused awful urinary retention.

Now, 6-7-8 tsp is quite nice. The homatropine is hardly noticeable. Maybe adds a litle drowsyness but nothing in the way that promethazine does with codeine syrup.

Hycodan is very much abusable, much more so than codeine/prometh, imo. It's quite enjoyable as well. It's on my friend's top ten opiates list.

edit, I have to correct myself. Hycodan/Hydromet is not hydrocodone polistirex but bitartrate. Hmm, where did I get the idea it was polistirex?? Also, it is not 1.25 mg homatropine but 1.5 mg homatropine Mbr.

doseages corrected.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  16. KC27

KC27 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Actually, it's because it's an extended release form of hydrocodone called hydrocodone polistirex instead of the hydrocodone bitartrate like in vicodin et al. Hydrocodone itself is a semi-synthetic compound. Edit: this is not correct, see below

Hydromet and Hycodan are brand names of hydrocodone/homatropine syrup, 5 mg/1.25 mg per 5mL.

It very much has abuse potential. My friend took 50mL of this stuff once, that 100mg hydrocodone and 30 mg homatropine. It was fucking intense! He was nailed to his bed having all these weird scenes play out in his mind that he could visiualize and control along with auditory and mild visual hallucinations from the atropine but the 100 mg hydrocodone made for an extremely relaxed, comfortable, moderatly euphoric feeling that was just awesome. But this is way too much for most people and was near too much for him. He even had a pretty strong opiate tolerance at the time. He could not get out of bed or anything and had pretty bad dry mouth and slept for about 16 hrs afterward. It also caused awful urinary retention.

Now, 6-7-8 tsp is quite nice. The homatropine is hardly noticeable. Maybe adds a litle drowsyness but nothing in the way that promethazine does with codeine syrup.

Hycodan is very much abusable, much more so than codeine/prometh, imo. It's quite enjoyable as well. It's on my friend's top ten opiates list.

Also, it is not 1.25 mg homatropine but 1.5 mg homatropine Mbr.

doseages corrected.

Probably from the Tussicaps which contain hydrocodone polistirex.

My mistake about the make up of hydromet. Thanks for the info

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  17. Moving Pictures

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    ^ah, that's it! Tussionex/Tussicaps is hydrocodone polistirex and chlorpheniramine polistirex 10mg/8mg.

Watch the self-incrimination though, man. Even though it's prescribed to you, it's illegal to take it other than prescribed.

No wonder Hycodan is so good, it's bitartrate, not polistirex. Never had the tussionex, I bet it isn't near as good. Probably like comparing DXM Hbr to DXM polisitrex.

18. SmaLLtown

SmaLLtown Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    Tussionex is actually a potent syrup. Even though it's technically time released, it effects are much stronger than that of prometh/codeine. 120mL of Tussionex will give one a good buzz so to speak. As for Hydromet, Swim thinks it's utter garbage compared to Tussionex because of the homatropine. Swim's first time trying Hydromet, was 120mL or 4oz. I had the worse headache and vomiting episode. It's really made for one not to abuse it. If one has a high tolerance to hydrocodone, I would advice other options. Tussionex is the by far the best tasting hydrocodone syrup on the market, and is a much better choice for recreational use than Hydromet.

19. Moving Pictures

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Yeah, I shouldn't say "not as good", I mean not as potent. You'd need more with it being time released but that's not exactly a bad thing as it will keep you high for longer than immediated release. My friend's just never had it.

120mL of hycodan is nuts dude! Shit, my doses were off in that original post. It was only 50 mg hydrocodone/15 homatropine. Yeah, 120mL would be a serious amount. 50 mg hydrcodone wasn't that much for my friend at the time, it was the homatropine that really nailed him. 120mg hydrocodone and 36 mg homatropine would be too much. Weird thing about (hom)atropine, it lessen nausea in low doses but causes it in high doses.

Will have to keep an ear out for the Tussionex syrup, it being cold and flu season and all. The only syrup that's easy to get is Cherritussin AC otc which is only 236 mg codeine but 2360 guafinisen! That shit gets your stomache really fucked up. Gives you bad diarreah once the codeine wears off.

20. SmaLLtown

SmaLLtown Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    ^^^
    Yeah, I was green at the time and didn't know any better. Swim learned the hard way lol. Homatropine starts getting really rough above 20mg, for swim anyway. To be fair, swim knows someone who can drink 90mL with no side effects. An oz of Hydromet contains 30mg hydrocodone/9mg homatropine. To achieve effects wanted, I has to go above 2oz into the danger zone. That's why I feel Tussionex is superior. On the other hand, if one's tolerance is low, 60mL of Hydromet would be a good ceiling for them. Your test subject should give Tussionex a try, it's gold colored with a heavy grit to it, tastes really sweet. 60-90mL is a good dose.