Drug info - I don't get why some people love Xanax

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by dws143, Aug 30, 2014.

1. dws143

dws143 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I get prescribed Xanax and hates it. All I do is pass out. Its not fun at all. Is swim doing it wrong?

2. Alien Sex Fiend

Alien Sex Fiend Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Welcome to the forum. I am banned here, please stop using swim before you get negative points. Are you taking xanax as prescribed? you should not pass out then. Benzos are not very recreational drugs but there are people who insist on trying to get high on anything. As for recreational dose, if you pass out, it means you took too much. recreational xanax usually feels like alcohol but a little less fun. Update and expand your question, and you will get a better answer

3. babalooj

babalooj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from New York, U.S.A.
    I personally really, really enjoy the feeling that alprazolam gives me. When i first experienced it, i thought it was nothing special, but as i time went on i was more anxious, and to an anxious person alprazolam is quite heavenly. I want to say that everyone who enjoys it must be anxious, but i can't say that for sure, although it does seem to me that most people don't usually enjoy benzos.
    They don't really induce straight euphoria, their pleasure derives from inducing a general lack of emotion, lack of fear, lack giving any fucks, and as ASF pointed out a drunk kinda feeling, but yeah not as fun

4. sayitaintso

sayitaintso Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    1 or 2 mgs of xanax is perfect to come down off a coke or speed bender...great in the morning for a hangover too...:cool:

5. Dimethylysergicalyblessed

Dimethylysergicalyblessed Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    xanax is the new Quaalude. Closest most people can get typically at least for the price. It feels great if you have a low tolerance etc. People don't understand how horrible it is until they deal with dependency / withdrawal with the particular drug / benzos in general. Or until they realize they blacked out for a whole night.

6. Ppopper

Ppopper Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    When I think back to the very first time I ever took xanax, I just could not handle the sleepiness too. I felt all floaty and nice for a while but just could not fight sleep. I probably took 1 mg which is pretty high for a first timer. Most people find even .5mg to be a bit much for the first time unless you're using it to fight a panic or anxiety attack. But tolerance develops quickly... it may knock you out now but just give it a week or so of the same dose and you'll find it less sedating. But like the previous posters said, if you use it therapeutically, it shouldn't make you too sleepy. You really shouldn't use it unless you have anxiety or panic issues cuz it's just not worth it. It's highly addictive and just a couple weeks of regular use will cause withdrawals when stopped.

7. dws143

dws143 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yes, my Xanax is perscribed. I'm on a really low dose of .5 mg for anxiety. I usually only take 1/2 of a pill, maybe once or twice a week. It pretty much knocks my out and leaves me tired the next day, no floaty feeling. I really hate taking it but it's the only thing that works for me. I have been reading old posts and felt like I missed something. Thanks for all your replys. I'm thinking my experience is not unusual.

8. Sushi

Sushi Signals From 93 Dimensions Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    47 y/o from Łódź, Poland
    If I understood you correctly, you usually take just 0.25mg. It's a tiny amount and the lowest possible dose alprazolam (Xanax) is prescribed and manufactured. If it really knocks you out I would suggest 2 solutions:

1.divide your pill into 4 parts with a knife, pocketknife - or better yet - with a scalpel; it will be neither easy, nor precise, but can be done; this should give you approximately 0,125mg dose if I do my maths correctly; if this will knock you out or make feel uncomfortably:

2.ask your physician to switch you to another benzodiazepine; I would suggest diazepam (Valium), it's much less potent than alprazolam (alprazolam, along with clonazepam, is one of the most potent benzos around), it is a very effective anti-anxiety medication and I think its recreational value is higher than that of alprazolam or clonazepam, although I agree with posters above: benzodiazepines are not "fun" drugs, they are designed to combat panic attacks, chronic anxiety or insomnia (short-term treatment), not a something to toy with.

May I ask why are you being prescribed benzodiazepines? Maybe you should as your doctor to prescribe you some other drug? SSRI, SNRI, NRI, some trycyclic antidepressant or maybe anti-histamine? Please expand and we will be able to tell you more.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  9. dws143

dws143 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It is being prescribed for anxiety \ panic attacks. When I have taken 1/4 to 1/2 it does not always work to stop my anxiety. Usually I will start with 1/4 or 1/2 then wait a few minutes and take more if needed, I just hate feeling tired the next day. The Dr has never offered my anything other then Xanax and antidepressants. I will ask him at my next appt to try Valium. Thanks.

10. goodgirlgoingbad

goodgirlgoingbad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Benzo's may all together be too strong. Lorazapem or ativan is the sister to xanaxx. You get the relief of anxiety without the blackout feeling/memory loss and feeling of sedation the next day! I would totally try that before valium, I have been prescribed them all and I am currently on klonopin.

11. anywherebutup

anywherebutup Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Weird. I started on 1 mg. a day and never noticed any side effects at all. It's so interesting how differently our brains are all wired!

12. novak.d420

novak.d420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Since you are scripted, I imagine you have anxiety. Benzos (damn near all of em, for everyone) themselves don't cause a person to experience euphoria, such as taking a line of coke or mdma immediately exciting dopamine and serotonin receptors, causing euphoria. Benzos make a person euphoric from the removal of an unwanted feeling (anxiety, tension, depression, ect). Im currently scripted temazepam 30 mg and before that lorazepam 3 mg. I also don't get much recreational value of benzos, as I take them for their sedative properties and only achieve a sedated, amnesiac state when taking decent amount/multiple benzos.

13. babyblue87

babyblue87 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    It all has been said but benzo's are really not much recreational, unless u have issues going on and then it will work like magic pill.

But I would not suggest to a normal (anxious free and no sleep problems) person to take them. Because the withdrawals are so not worth it, you better just chill with less harmful stuff.

14. tidruid

tidruid Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't get it either. They are only good for anxiety or if you use stimulants. My old supervisor was addicted to xanax and he would take so many at work that he would pass out in the back of the truck nearly comatose. He was a huge piece of shit. Some of the worst peopke I have ever met in my life were either benzo or amphetamine addicts.

15. sourdough

sourdough Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    you're taking too much.

the majority seem to under-estimated how of a powerful benzodiazepine alprazolam is to those with low/no-tolerance.

...damn though -- eating when you're under influenced of it is heaven.

16. Sushi

Sushi Signals From 93 Dimensions Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    47 y/o from Łódź, Poland
    I can't recall it now properly, but benzodiazepines are divided into three major groups, depending on their chemical structure. They all, however, create one big family of substances, so maybe yes, calling them "sisters" or "brothers" is ok. They all act on the same receptor complex (GABA-A), the differences between them (and various indications) come from the fact that they affect different GABA-A subreceptors types (I hope this is the proper term) in varied degrees. However, when taken in large enough doses, they will cause similar effects, including anterograde amnesia (black-out, memory loss). Lorazepam is much weaker than alprazolam indeed, about 50% as potent with about twice longer half-life, so this suggestion may be viable. Anyway I assure you, you will black out on lorazepam too, not so rapidly like on, for example, midazolam, but you surely will.

OP, as I said above, talk with your physician and tell him/her alprazolam is too potent for you. Let him propose you something else, be it diazepam, lorazepam, bromazepam or something else. Just treat benzos like medications, don't try to get high on them, don't take them daily and you shall be ok.

Good luck, yours truly -
    Sush

17. tatittle

tatittle Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I believe the reason Xanax is prescribed so often for anxiety attacks is because the effects come on so quickly. Longer acting substances like Valium will take longer to exhibit their full affects on the body. If you need immediate relief, Xanax will work faster than the others, and the affects dissipate more quickly than the longer acting ones as well. If you want a milder come-on that lasts a bit longer, Valium etc. is better probably. Particular drugs tend to be trendy in the medical profession, certain ones take over not nec'y because they work better, but because of the hype surrounding them. This hype often originates with the marketing, and is maintained by patient testimony.

18. TheKLF

TheKLF Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o from U.K.
    Recently one sweared on me in flunitrazepam. WTF man, benzos...they all seem f*ckd up. Including xanax. Compare it with glutethimide e.g. Me never tried ludes but I can figure it is much similar than to benzos. Eat more benzos and you r gonna blackout. Eat 1/2 or 1 and it will just make you sleepy...Maybe, and I say maybe, there is some synergy with opiates and it shows itself in the nod.Xanax always put me to sleep. There is more recreational value in klonopin.

19. thegirlupstairs

thegirlupstairs Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Having taken Ativan, Klonopin, and Xanax...I can see why people like Xanax. My biggest complaint is how quickly I can feel it leaving my body. With Ativan I can take 3/4 MGs in the morning and be anxiety free for about 8 hours. I can definitely feel the niceness of 1 MG of Xanax dissipating after about 4 hours.

But I will say Xanax kicks in a lot quicker than Ativan. I'll take any of 'em tho, haha.

20. anon9871

anon9871 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from U.S.A.
    If you're just using benzos to get high then they probably aren't going to be much fun. They do have their uses though. I personally use them for insomina, anxiety, and comedowns from other drugs.