1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Oral use - Iceland Poppy/Papaver nudicale

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by CoryInJapan, May 26, 2009.

1. CoryInJapan

CoryInJapan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Ok so Swim did some digging in the forums and googled it and didnt really find anything to answer swims question

OK so Swim has some Iceland poppies growing and all of them are in pods.

No flowers yet just all pods

Question is, are these pods usable to make tea or anything else.

also was wondering around how many pods are needed since these are pretty small pods. they dont get much bigger really.

CoryInJapan added 49 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

well swim grinded up about 7 pods with the stems attached and is going to do and extraction to see what swim gets and will try dosing small as its belived to contain

Two minor alkaloids were isolated from the capsule of Papaver nudicaule. On the basis of physicochemical methods and spectroscopic analysis, they were identified as chelidonine, 5-hydroxy-2-hydroxymethylpyridine. Chelidonine was isolated from this plant and 5-hydroxy-2-hydroxymethylpyridine was isolated from genus for the first time.

Any help on the psycoactive or medicinal properties of this plant would be great

If no one know one knows Swim will use this as a journal of what swim finds out about it.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. helikophis

helikophis Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o Male from New York, U.S.A.
    No, these poppies are not psychoactive.

I would suspect that, like many kinds of poppies, this kind will cause dropsy (swelling of the eyes and heart), and probably vomiting. I'm not basing this on evidence of any sort, so I could be wrong about the dropsy, but they are almost certainly poisonous in some way. Poppy poisoning isn't fun, so it's not something I would experiment with.

3. CoryInJapan

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    well when swim looked it up on google and came across wiki it said it contains poisonous poppys like ALL poppys including the ones used to make opium

Dont want to know only if its psycoactive just wanted to know if there are any uses in it medicinal or recreationally which looks like its not a recreation type.

4. samuraigecko

samuraigecko Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    No . . No poppy other than Opium Poppy (Papaver Somniferum) contains the correct alkaloids for real medicinal use. Some poppies contain certain alkaloids that are used in home remedy medicine but not medically.

Read the poppy FAQs thread in the stickies. It answers all of this and much more so that people do not ask the same questions over and over again in the thread section.

Peace :)

5. CoryInJapan

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Yea figured that out a bit with more research but, facts didnt show up when I used the search function on the forum and thats probably why I didn't look in there.