If DMT is natrually in the human brain why wont u test for it

Discussion in 'DMT and Ayahuasca' started by vantranist, Nov 8, 2006.

1. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from antigua_and_barbuda
    To clerify i know that they say N-N-DMT may acutally be released by your pineal gland in certain situations.

My question is then if somone was Drug tested for DMT after a dream or near death exirence then why doesn't it show up on a drug test? or does it?

2. Silence_Inc

Silence_Inc Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    it's not like the dmt goes through yur bloodstream to come into the brain - it'salready there. so you'll have to cut open your head i guess ... but read Rick Strassman's : DMT - the spirit molecule ... this book contains all the information there is on the subject.

and i believe it already is proven but there just wasn't much attention for it back in the '60 - '70 ...

3. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    DMT is never tested for in the standard 5 NIDA(meth, coke, heroin, PCP, cannabis) drug tests, and is naturally in ones body, so trying to test for it would be useless...

4. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Even if one would be tested for DMT, it would be difficult to get any concluding results from such a test, because:

1) DMT is broken down very quickly by the enzyme MAO.
    2) It exists in small amounts in the body, but these amounts can vary.
    3) Melatonin and even serotonin would probably lead to false positives. (both are found in the human body and are related to DMT)

But there is no reason to test for DMT.

And yes, Strassman's book has lots of valuable info on DMT. I started reading it the day before yesterday.

5. Sklander

Sklander Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from congo_democratic
  6. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Pretty much nobody.

But even if one would be tested for tryptamines, DMT and 5-MeO-DMT probably wouldn't show up, as these are destroyed quickly by MAO. And creating a test for tryptamines would be of no much use, as they are not very commonly used. And they would have to put the minimum concentration level (or treshold level or how it is called) VERY high, due to endogenous melatonin and serotonin.

7. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from antigua_and_barbuda
    well i dont get drug tested... im not asking for me or anybody else, i was just woundering why it wouldent show up because i remember they said tis not proven that DMT is natrually uccoring in teh brain so i thought mabye they could prove/disprove by doing a test just woundering is all.

8. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It hasn't been proven that DMT is produced in the pineal gland or is naturally released in your brain in mind-altering quantities. These are all theories put forth by Dr. Strassman in his book.

DMT is an endogenous substance though, and can be found in varying quantities throughout your body. Some experiments were performed to test if schizophrenics had more DMT in their body to see if maybe it was part of the cause for their abnormal symptoms, but they didn't get any conclusive results really.

So anyways, need to read up on it again to tell you more, but I can tell you now that DMT is produced in your body (but not necessarily your pineal gland) and is excreted in trace amounts by your body so there isn't a way DMT use could be detected through contemporary drug testing techniques.

9. Nacumen

Nacumen Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    This is really random and as I see it almost completely infeasible, but I feel strangely compelled to mention it.

It would be interesting for someone to make an implant which filters DMT over time within the bloodstream into a cache, then releases it upon command. This way, the chemical is never leaving the body, so a court would be hard-pressed to prosecute one for using it all at once - after all, what kind of backward civilization would outlaw a man from having control over his own body? (don't say it...)

Not that I see anything like this happening within anyone's lifetime...

10. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    You're assuming that endogenous DMT is not necessary for other functions of the body. If it wasn't, it probably wouldn't be there.
    And wouldn't it be less trouble to just smoke it.
    What if someone got a hold of the trigger? Or it started to malfunction and released DMT in awkward situations?
    It would be bad if it happened to me while I'm working with a 20 tonn excavator next to a public building, that's for sure!