1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

USA - I'll drink to that! New 'alcohol busting' drug that sobers you up in seconds

Discussion in 'Weird News' started by BitterSweet, Feb 18, 2013.

1. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from Canada
    [IMGL=white]http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=2569&pictureid=21834[/IMGL]Party animals could soon be able to sober up in an instant just by popping a pill. Researchers have developed a cocktail of alcohol metabolizing enzymes that speedily reduces blood alcohol levels in drunk mice.

The treatment, which has been compared to having 'millions of liver cells inside your stomach,' could have far-reaching implications for drinkers.

Yunfeng Lu, a professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at UCLA, and Cheng Ji, a professor of biochemical and molecular biology at the University of Southern California injected the intoxicated mice with nanocapsules containing two enzymes.

One of the enzymes, Oxidase, comes with an unfortunate by-product of hydrogen peroxide, which can be harmful.

[IMGR=white]http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=2569&pictureid=21835[/IMGR]
    Nanocapsules: The drunk mice were injected with nanocapsules, pictured, containing two enzymes

As such, it needs to work in concert with another enzyme that decomposes the hydrogen peroxide.

The findings showed the party mice that received the injection sobered up much quicker compared to those that didn't get the enzyme treatment.

The breakthrough is still in its early stages and is not ready to be tested on humans.

But Lu said it could lead to a new class of drugs that act as an alcohol 'antidote.'

He envisages the medicine could be taken in such simple form as a pill.

The scientist said the nanocapsules work as a sort of booze buster in your gut.

It would 'almost be like having millions of liver cell units inside your stomach or in your intestine, helping you to digest alcohol,' Lu said.

In the meantime, the researchers are working on other enzyme drugs.

One, which would be almost as popular as the booze-busting pill, relies on nanocapsules to deliver an enzyme that destroys the substance that causes male-pattern baldness

Author: Helen Pow, Mail Online (UK)
    Date: February 18, 2013
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-drug-sobers-seconds.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    *scrathes his head wondering why anyone would want to sober up quicker*

3. Raol Duke

Raol Duke Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Maybe if you had to drive, like in an emergency or something. Sounds pretty useful

4. thirdeyelasik

thirdeyelasik Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    This would be great for reducing hangover effects. You could go out, get trashed, have a great time and then when you are about to crash you take it. While you were sleeping it would get rid of the alcohol so when you wake up it was like you never had a drink! Could be awesome if perfected.

5. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from Canada
    If this came to fruition, I'd be interested to see how often one could use it before causing harm to the body, as in alcoholics trying to use the drug to avoid hangovers consistently. I wonder if it would be over the counter also. But just imagine such a drug - I would probably drink more than my 3 times a year since I wouldn't have to fear the horrible hangovers I get! I wonder if it would increase drinking rates. No doubt MADD is already jumping all over this and getting ready to rally against it.

6. TomKat

TomKat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I wonder how this would effect GHB and GHB-like substances....?

7. electricjw

electricjw Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    While this may be good, I wonder how many side effects will come from using this pill.

8. source

source Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from england
    This is the second instance I've heard this year about new drugs being made to 'sober' up drunk people. I've never heard of such drugs before, and therefore just a little skeptical, but after the first article I read (link below) and now this one... maybe there is some actual truth in it.

I wonder when they can produce a drug to combat the effects of drugs?!!! Shame 'that' wasn't around two years ago..

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205144

9. Hp Rush

Hp Rush Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Sounds like the narcan of alcohol could be very useful for teens who drink to much and get alcohol poisoning. Hp out.

Tags: