Illness while on opiates

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by mickenator, Feb 15, 2007.

1. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    I have been taking opiates now for about 16 years and found that while I was bang at it and being perscribed methadone swim found that they were never ill but when I went to prison and became drug free swim found that any illness about they would catch it, now I has got back into opiates again it's the same illness free. Swim wondered has anyone else found this that they rarely if never seem to get ill whilst taking opiates ( mostly heroin ) or is it that I am just strange.

1. 3/5,
      interesting question about sickness and opiates
      Oct 22, 2010
  2. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    I have noticed this himself,I don't think it's that one doesn't get ill it is just that opiates dull the effects of most illnesses so they seem far less severe.

3. Laudaphun

Laudaphun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have also had similar experiences with opiates. I had went years without feeling any illness that was not self-induced. Then one time I went to jail for a few months and contracted several colds, coughs, illnesses, etc in a short time span. While it I've read many accounts of people who claim that opiates keep them from getting sick, I believe the reason that I got sick so many times while in jail was most likely due to the small living area shared by so many people, compounded by the poor sanitary conditions.

4. Ellis D.

Ellis D. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I experience this too. I have also felt this on LSD.

I think it has something to do with will power/placebo. When you are feeling really good you are subject to mostly good...when you are feeling shitty, you become subject to things "shitty".

5. cz-one

cz-one Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I've noticed this a lot with swim and other opiate users,i very rarely get colds and shit like that,but remember in the 1800's/1900's they used to give opiates for colds/coughs/headaches etc.etc.so there must be something in it....then again,it might just be i have been having colds and stuff but just too gouched out to care or notice!