IM Injection gone wrong

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by csharpprogrammer, Feb 27, 2007.

1. csharpprogrammer

csharpprogrammer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM attempted his first ever IM injection today with 5 mg midazolam. He prepared the arm with an alcohol prep pad, then pushed the needle forceful into his upper arm, where his doctor usually gives immunizations. He thought he had pushed hard enough, only to find that the needle barely broke the skin. SWIM proceeded to push the needle, which was still stuck in his skin, slowly and he felt the needle break what he assumes to be a layer of fat. Getting scared, and not wanting to go any further, I was going to push the 1mL solution into his arm, but all of a sudden I felt a "pop" so he immediately pulled the needle out without injecting the midazolam. As soon as he got the needle out of his skin, blood poured like when a nurse removes an IV catheter. SWIM acted quickly with a cotton ball and added pressure. He then taped a cotton ball over the wound. SWIM's arm is no longer bleeding, but he is wondering what went wrong??? Could some You please provide some instruction on giving IM injections.

2. csharpprogrammer

csharpprogrammer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Also, I have read that when giving an IM injection, before pushing the medicine, to draw and make sure no blood comes out. What would happen if SWIM were to inject when he drew blood? Would it be similiar to an IV injection?

3. jro2112

jro2112 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    That "pop" you described is characteristic of intravenous injection. It may be possible that, by some unfortunate slip of the wrist, you punctured the cephalic vein. Do yourself a favor and look through an anatomy text before you try again, it will greatly assuage your pre-injection anxieties and make this semi-dangerous act safer.

4. Donmeka

Donmeka Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    cant help you much but I remember You talking about giving it a shot with the midazolam and is sad your first attempt didnt go smoothely. hope to see a nice report if you decide to give it another shot and do well :) swim safe

5. Donmeka

Donmeka Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    sorry double post

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
Tags: