images of drugs before prohibition

Discussion in 'Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics' started by bewilderment, Jun 9, 2006.

1. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The University at Buffalo Addiction Research Unit hosts a gallery of images of psychoactives before they became illegal:

This can now be found in Drugs-forums Image Gallery

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    Nice.
    I've always had doubts about the Heidelberg university student supposingly smoking opium on that page. These pipes really look like tobacco pipes to me, long pipes were quite common ( you can see them in David Roberts engravings on the middle east for instance) and there is a tradition for complicated pipe designs in Switzerland and Bavaria.
    then again I do remember seeing similar pipe designs from tribal areas in south east asia, Vietnam, Burma and Thailand...but on this picture, i really have my doubts.
    maybe i'm wrong but i don't see any device for heating the foyer in order to vaporise the opium, apart from a lighting candle on the chair...
    it seems to me the only reason for calling it an opium smoking session is that the pipe is long and one man is lying down (but the other one is sitting and supposingly playing accordion-and with a pipe this long reclining seems like a good option). I think they're just smoking tobacco out of funky pipes which is the reason why the picture was taken; that and the funny hats.
    b

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  3. klaatu

klaatu Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I went to the Coca Cola museum in Atlanta, Georgia last year. I was amazed (was I? Maybe not.....) to find NO reference anywhere to the fact Coca Cola originally contained Cocaine.

History re-invented. George Orwell style.

Klaatu

4. bewilderment

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've been to the Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta a couple of times on field trips (it being only about 2 and a half hours away)...while this was some time ago, I don't recall seeing mention of it anywhere either...Funny that.

5. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim grandmother bragged on the original Coca-Cola, she said they were a cure all.
    Bewilderment, you hard to beat to the punch, seen this article this morning, cut and pasted. Logged on to the forums, and seen that you beat me again. Next time maybe!

6. bewilderment

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Where'd you read the story? I read it on boing-boing.

7. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Read it on Fark.com..

8. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, this is pretty funny. Coca-cola is currently taking a stance not unlike the FBI's long-time stance about the existence of the NSA. Don't talk about it. Avoid the issue. Replace the issue with something else (i.e. the pics of the coke bottle that says "extracts of coca leaves, NO COCAINE INCLUDED"). When someone asks, change the subject. If pressed, tell a little fib. But mostly, we'll just ACT like it never happened and eventually it will come down to a very confusing decision that each individual will have to extract from piece-meal historical evidence vs. the COCA-COLA COMPANY!*

The goal is to definitely to confuse and mislead.

*anyone remember this part from Dr. Strangelove?? ;)

9. Voices

Voices Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    LOL, you also don't here Coke talking about this much-

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-food/coca_cola.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  10. klaatu

klaatu Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Amazing - I must have missed that section of the Coca Cola museum too!

Klaatu

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Reputation Points:
    When I was in school I wrote a report about cola. For information on the subject, I emailed the Coca-Cola company. In the email, I mentioned that their product used to contain cocaine. In the response they completely denied that Coca-Cola ever contained cocaine in the company's entire history. Seems like they're really trying to forget/cover up this part of their history. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, Cocaine used to be sold OTC in lots of other products back then. I guess they just don't want to tarnish their "family-friendly" image.

12. klaatu

klaatu Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Lol, that's insane! Someone ought to sue them attempting to rewrite history like that. I mean it's only Governments that are allowed to do that :eek:

Klaatu

13. bewilderment

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, that's pretty messed up. I mean, I learned in school that Coca-Cola used to contain cocaine, it's information that's widely available. It was also mentioned on the history channel on a show they were doing on the history of cocaine. Everyone seems to remember this except for the Coca-Cola company, maybe they were just too high to remember :p

14. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    They rewrote Santa Claus pretty well :)
    With thier huge marketing campaigns every little kid thinks Santa is a big fat guy that wears a red suit. Coke were the ones that introduced that notion.
    (Apparently Santa is able to make all those stops so quickly 'cos he uses Cocaine, it helps speed up his delivery ;) )

15. Lunar Loops

Lunar Loops Driftwood Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    But his flying reindeer, well now that's an entirely different story.

16. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Lets not forget that coke was originally created as a syrup, and the cocaine was the active ingredient in it. I think people started to pay more attention to the effects it was doing to people, but even after that, coca-cola is still the most popular drink on the planet. In SWIM's school, they watched a documentary on the whole Coca-Cola vs Pepsi, interesting program but there are missing parts in it that sugar is an addictive drug.